TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Mazda Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-14-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Cardriverx
Tri-State Addict

Member #5090

My Ride:
1993 Miata Turbo ; 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Cardriverx
How to adjust the clutch in a miata from the pedal

Intro:
Sometimes you may feel like your clutch isn't engaging or releasing as you'd like. Here's a simple procedure to get the clutch feel as you like it!

Tools Needed:
10mm and 12mm open-ended wrenches.
Some light, because it's dark under the dash!
Procedure:
First you must get under the steering wheel so you are looking at the top of the clutch pedal:

Next, you must loosen the bolt that stops the shaft from turning:

Now, you just turn the shaft Clockwise to have it engage further up (later), or you turn it CCW to have it engage further down (sooner). This can be done with your hand, it should be easy to move. I have found that one full revolution of the shaft moves the engagement point about 1/10 of an inch in either direction.

And that's it! Just tighten up the bolt that stops the shaft from moving, and take the car for a drive! Then repeat until the engagement point you want is reached!

P.S - Mad Swede from miata.net pointed out that i missed a few things. First off, when you are adjusting the pedal, you must check the freeplay. when you are adjusting it, it changes the "dead zone", where you can push the pedal without much resistance. while you are adjusting it, you want the freeplay to be around .2 to .5 inches. Also, when you finally tighten the nut, you must make sure the rod doesent turn. Mad Swede said he used a dot of whiteout on the rod so he could check if it moved, which is a also good idea.
Cardriverx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
NOPSTNS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3176

i was about to tell u about the freeplay. many ppl adjust the pedal to completely eliminate it and the clutch is actually like 1/30th engaged at all times bc the pedal is "in" already.

be careful man. my rx8 grabs high and as much as i hate that i aint touchin the freeplay
NOPSTNS is offline   Reply With Quote