TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
Identity Theft - What to do?

**** like this would only happen to me lol

I'm at the gym today, putt my stuff in my locker and leave it without a lock (never had a problem with this before and I've always had faith in people).

Go to work out, about 2 hours later go back and find my hoody and car keys in place, but wallet missing.

At some point in my routine someone stole my **** and tried to use it. I called the bank and cancelled my debit card right away but some damage was done (not too bad).

At 1:25 the thief tried to withdraw money from an ATM using my card and got my pin wrong
At 1:37 the thief filled up his car at the same gas station

I figure the place has plenty of cameras especially near the ATM (it's a wawa gas station). Filed a police report with the items missing.

Wallet
$90 cash
TD bank card
Wachovia Card
Licence
Reg
Ins
etc.etc.

Called the police department tonight to see if they had gone to the gas station to look at the security tapes around that time to see who was using my card and they basically told me there is nothing they can do and to just go and get new cards and a licence etc. although this should be pretty simple for them to figure out.

The wawa probbably won't let me see the tapes for myself and the trainer at the gym who I work out with says his credit card was stolen about a week ago and he has a suspicion about some guy who wanders in and out of the locker room 6-7 times during his routine, could be the same person, could be different.

What's my next move?

P.S. I contacted Experian and put out a red alert on my name (they transfer the info to Equifax and Transunion also) because I think my SSN was in my wallet somewhere and I don't want anything else happening.

Last edited by CleanNeon98; 12-12-2009 at 11:58 PM.
CleanNeon98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
EklipzGSXkid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4554

Is there a LOG when you go to the gym, With people signing in, And out?

I do not understand why they cannot show you the video's at the WAWA when a crime is being commited.

You can always try to plant something in your locker with no lock, And put a video camera somewhere, And see if you get anything on tape....
EklipzGSXkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EklipzGSXkid View Post
Is there a LOG when you go to the gym, With people signing in, And out?

I do not understand why they cannot show you the video's at the WAWA when a crime is being commited.

You can always try to plant something in your locker with no lock, And put a video camera somewhere, And see if you get anything on tape....
That would be an offence on my part because cameras aren't really allowed in locker rooms (privacy), same reason Wawa probbably won't show me tapes, plus what do I do with that at that point? Find the guy at the gym, beat him, and get assault charges? I'd love to beat him down but that won't work, and suing him for identity theft clearly won't work because Police don't want to work on the case.

No log, we give the receptionist our number when we come in but leaving is pretty much a "good-bye" kinda deal.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:02 AM   #4
den9
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1198

My Ride:
turbo diesel

Send a message via AIM to den9
jesus christ sorry what happened but are you ****in stupid?! you honestly think your wallet was safe? locks are like 5 bucks, or usually already on the locker with a digital code. gyms are the absolute worst for getting stuff stolen, especially from your car, they know people dont bring their wallets in the gym, mostly because they dont carry them in their pocket. if you read the police reports credit cards and wallets are always getting stolen from la fitness in bensalem. atleast they left your car, because i know you dont have full insurance on that.
den9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
den9
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1198

My Ride:
turbo diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EklipzGSXkid View Post

stupidest thing ever.

also my cousin left his CC on top of the gas pump once, and the owner of the gas station found it and was caught on wal marts tape, credit card companies usually go investigate stuff like this.

pretty much if you cant get a surveillance tape from wawa, your screwed, and hopefully this will be a lesson, unfortunately a steep one.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #6
Willdue
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2000

My Ride:
To many VW's

Send a message via AIM to Willdue
why would you let your **** unlocked for 2 hrs??? SERIOUS???
Old 12-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
EklipzGSXkid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4554

I'm sorry, I was not thinking when I said put a CAMERA in a LOCKER ROOM. It didn't click for a second until I thought about it.

If you were able to get a surveillance picture at that exact time, At that exact store, You can show the cops his picture/video of him using your card, At the exact time your card was used. You don't want to find him and assult him, Because then he will sue you.

First thing you will want to do is cancel ALL of your cards. Unfortunatly now you hafto re-do your lisence, Get a new SS card, ETC.
EklipzGSXkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

The SS card was only a copy, the real one stays at home. I'm going to the Wawa in a few minutes to talk to the manager (hopefully theres one on at 11:30) and see what I can accomplish, if the police are unwilling to help me find this guy, I'll find him and take matters into my own hands. All I really have to do now is watch for people eyeing me up at the gym, this guy knows what I look like and will probbably be keeping an eye on me, and my eyes will be open to everyone as well.

I may have an idea as to who it was, there was one dude staring me down hard as **** cause I'm smaller than him and was lifting the same as him, but then again I doubt it.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
OutToWinPAHC
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5081

My Ride:
R33 GTS25T, RHD E46, Truck, part R32 GTR

Send a message via AIM to OutToWinPAHC
Smile...... my truck got robbed this morning. I lost about 40000 in tools
OutToWinPAHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:28 AM   #10
den9
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1198

My Ride:
turbo diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanNeon98 View Post
The SS card was only a copy, the real one stays at home. I'm going to the Wawa in a few minutes to talk to the manager (hopefully theres one on at 11:30) and see what I can accomplish, if the police are unwilling to help me find this guy, I'll find him and take matters into my own hands. All I really have to do now is watch for people eyeing me up at the gym, this guy knows what I look like and will probbably be keeping an eye on me, and my eyes will be open to everyone as well.

I may have an idea as to who it was, there was one dude staring me down hard as **** cause I'm smaller than him and was lifting the same as him, but then again I doubt it.
if its in philly, cops wont care.

i dont think this is going to be a lesson, seeing how not too long ago someone took off with a 1k in camera gear from your UNLOCKED car. no one is going to be eyeing you up, i doubt they even looked at your license, they got what they wanted and im surprised they didnt take your keys and rob your house later seeing how they now have your address.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:12 AM   #11
lagos
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #989

My Ride:
Toyota Celica GT-Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willdue View Post
why would you let your **** unlocked for 2 hrs??? SERIOUS???
x2 !!!

I never trust anyone with any of my stuff. Trusting people are easy targets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

The accelerator on my toyota has always been stuck to the floor..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
lagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #12
Khellen
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5720

My Ride:
05 STi 30R Brotated 400awhp

Send a message via AIM to Khellen
Someone stole my wallet a month or two ago. Dropped it at Oktoberfest at Grand Prix New York and it was "never found". Took so many photos at the show that I can actually see where it was dropped and right after someone picked it up. What a giant pain in the ass having to have all the cards reissued and my drivers license renwed/replaced.

As for your situation....let the credit card companies handle it. Contact them about the them using your card for gas and call it a day.

FTL:
http://poorformance.com/wallet.jpg
Khellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:35 AM   #13
Spocknasty
Meh

Member #986

Quote:
I'll find him and take matters into my own hands.
Yeah that's gonna go over real well for ya.

Who would want to be you anyway?

I <3 JSC Speed and Liquid Powder Coats!
Spocknasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:43 AM   #14
gdmbat85
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3780

My Ride:
99 eclipse spyder gsx

Send a message via AIM to gdmbat85 Send a message via Yahoo to gdmbat85
You really have to go out and do your own investigation. When my dads jewelry store got held up, the cops did nothing, so we went around and collected surveillance video of the suspects from adjacent stores and brought it to the police station. If we needed to rely on cops for anything the whole world would burn to the ground.
gdmbat85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #15
bmatyeah
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4478

My Ride:
1997 Ford Mustang

Send a message via AIM to bmatyeah
give up. you cant do anything. wawa would be breaking their rules if they let you see the tape. they will only release the police if it is a court order or if it happened to them.

all your funds should be repaired, on your cards. your cash is long gone. The stuff is easy to get replacements of, it happens. Just a tank of gas, i doubt the company will go after him.
this happened to my parents recently, they were in Baltimore and someone at a restaurant took their cc number. and went on a shopping spree and KFC. My parents got thier money back and the cc company has not said a word since. The restaurant would not help at all. Business's stay away from liability.
bmatyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #16
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Quote:
Called the police department tonight to see if they had gone to the gas station to look at the security tapes around that time to see who was using my card and they basically told me there is nothing they can do and to just go and get new cards and a licence etc. although this should be pretty simple for them to figure out.
A friend of mine had his R1 stolen in front of a store with two security cameras that had a good view of the motorcycle. The cops put absolutely no effort into investigating it at all. They told him they weren't investigating and weren't interested in viewing the tapes. He did get to see the tapes at the store. The security tapes showed the motorcycle being loaded into the back of a van, the license plate of the van, and the faces of two of the people involved.

What are people paying tax dollars for if the cops don't want to investigate the thieft of a $13,000 motorcycle when the case seems pretty easy with the license plate and faces of the people involved? If they won't investigate the thieft of a $13,000 motorcycle, then a wallet is domething they won't look into either.
Chris B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #17
den9
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1198

My Ride:
turbo diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatyeah View Post
Baltimore and someone at a restaurant took their cc number. and went on a shopping spree and KFC.
lol at stereotypes playing themselves out

i dont care what anyone says, cops are useless when it comes to helping the public out directly.

Last edited by den9; 12-13-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #18
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
if you haven't already.

shut down all of your cards. Alert your insurance company that someone has your information (if they get in an accident, they'll use your ****). Go get another registration.

Thats pretty much it. Why you would bring your wallet into a gym is beyond me.

I don't even bring my wallet with me into a bar. ID, cash. thats it... AND I don't even keep them in my pocket. Good luck brother.

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #19
ezdrummer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3534

My Ride:
i am to embarrassed to say..

sorry to hear alex, but the question that keeps popping in my head is"somebody really wanted to be you?"
145B Philmont Ave. Feasterville, PA 19053 (Between Street Rd and Bustleton Ave)

ezdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #20
den9
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1198

My Ride:
turbo diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPancoast View Post
if you haven't already.

shut down all of your cards. Alert your insurance company that someone has your information (if they get in an accident, they'll use your ****). Go get another registration.

Thats pretty much it. Why you would bring your wallet into a gym is beyond me.

I don't even bring my wallet with me into a bar. ID, cash. thats it... AND I don't even keep them in my pocket. Good luck brother.

like i said before, thieves know that people leave their wallet in their car while at the gym. your better off putting it in a locker, or atleast hiding it in your car.