TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #21
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Yeah, I'd be in a GT350 if they weren't all marked up to the moon. Maybe move into one in a few years...

GM is really on their game recently, but they've always been kind of a "giant slayer" with performance cars so it's no real surprise.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #22
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Yeah, I'd be in a GT350 if they weren't all marked up to the moon. Maybe move into one in a few years...

GM is really on their game recently, but they've always been kind of a "giant slayer" with performance cars so it's no real surprise.
The numbers on the 1LE and the GT350 are pretty close too. Amazing how far these cars have come with this latest generation. The biggest thing for me was always how they turned and the interior quality. I hated all the cheap plastic that American cars used in their interiors over the years. Luckily, they've fixed that for the price points they're in by and large.

Check out the new ZL1. It's pretty much perfect, haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #23
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

First modification coming and it's pretty much useless:

BMR strut tower brace.

Why?

$101 shipped.

GM puts these on the convertibles but by all accounts, it's not needed on the coupes.

So for $101 shipped I'll add it and see.

I'll probably end up taking it off and replacing it with the GM part when I do the 1LE upgrade.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #24
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Excellent, first 1LE kit info is out:

http://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/perfor...45?parent=1023

Now we just wait

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-28-2016, 11:41 PM   #25
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

lol strut brace. not needed on pretty much any car now
Old 11-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #26
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
lol strut brace. not needed on pretty much any car now
I know

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #27
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I'm surprised that GM even developed one, lol. Ford makes one too and the RS even has one from the factory even though the towers are nearly on the firewall...

I guess every last bit of stiffness helps the suspension do what they want it to.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #28
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I'm surprised that GM even developed one, lol. Ford makes one too and the RS even has one from the factory even though the towers are nearly on the firewall...

I guess every last bit of stiffness helps the suspension do what they want it to.
GM provides one for the convertible. There's a great matrix showing all the different braces each model gets. Will post later.

For the coupe, it speaks volumes when even the 1LE/ZL1 don't come with the strut brace. For what it's worth, there already are bars connecting the rear of each tower to the firewall. It's a stiff chassis in coupe form.

I'll probably get the GM one later after I do the 1LE suspension just for ****s and giggles. Parts are so cheap now!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #29
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Here are the brace matrices to show what model gets what from GM. Pretty cool of them to provide this information to us.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #30
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Awfully nice of them to document all of those bits and pieces.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #31
cavillac95
Tri-State Addict

Member #16606

My Ride:
g37x - 370z - civic

cavillac95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:50 PM   #32
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavillac95 View Post
Been to a race track lately?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #33
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

That whole thing was a funny meme a while back... but yeah, the new Camaros are mighty impressive. That Z28 at Shenandoah was FAST!!!
Old 12-01-2016, 05:13 AM   #34
Seven
Tri-State Addict

Member #2078

My Ride:
17 Camaro 1LE || 17 Yamaha FZ10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Here are the brace matrices to show what model gets what from GM. Pretty cool of them to provide this information to us.

I honestly wonder if 1LE/Coupe guys will add the X and Y braces to their cars - Like a lot of E36 coupe owners did (from the E36 verts) back in the day
Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:55 PM   #35
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
That whole thing was a funny meme a while back... but yeah, the new Camaros are mighty impressive. That Z28 at Shenandoah was FAST!!!
I had a very hard time with the Mustang GT with Performance Pack that was there. The 911 could gain in the tight turns, but otherwise it was nearly impossible to keep him off of my bumper. Since the SS is even faster, it's safe to say that the 911 would have been lagging.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-01-2016, 11:56 PM   #36
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I honestly wonder if 1LE/Coupe guys will add the X and Y braces to their cars - Like a lot of E36 coupe owners did (from the E36 verts) back in the day
Great question, I'm wondering the same thing. How many of these are effective on a coupe, how many are simply adding weight?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-02-2016, 12:10 AM   #37
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
I had a very hard time with the Mustang GT with Performance Pack that was there. The 911 could gain in the tight turns, but otherwise it was nearly impossible to keep him off of my bumper. Since the SS is even faster, it's safe to say that the 911 would have been lagging.
Mustang and SS have a LOT more power and aren't really losing a whole lot in the corners. Modern muscle cars are impressive... I keep saying it, lol

Quote:
Great question, I'm wondering the same thing. How many of these are effective on a coupe, how many are simply adding weight?
Probably into the point of diminishing returns. Modern cars are so much stiffer than an E36 or even E46... and maybe even the E92 lol
Old 12-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #38
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Mustang and SS have a LOT more power and aren't really losing a whole lot in the corners. Modern muscle cars are impressive... I keep saying it, lol
it hurt the 911 ego a little bit, haha...but realistically, it's 10 years newer and has the benefit of modern tech and suspension design (even if the PP shocks are horrible).

Quote:
Probably into the point of diminishing returns. Modern cars are so much stiffer than an E36 or even E46... and maybe even the E92 lol
very true! will be interesting to see what comes on the Z28...if it's without the braces like the 1LE and ZL1 are, then that tells you all you need to know about their effectiveness on the coupe.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-02-2016, 11:31 PM   #39
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Are the PP shocks really that bad? I've never even sat in a Mustang... maybe I should test drive one this weekend, lol
Old 12-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #40
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Are the PP shocks really that bad? I've never even sat in a Mustang... maybe I should test drive one this weekend, lol
Do it

/
/
/
/
/