TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Motorcycles
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
z'd up
Tri-State Addict

Member #3985

My Ride:
2002 Honda CBR 954rr, 94 Astro shaggin wagon

Send a message via AIM to z'd up
PA motorcycle skills test?

Just wondering if anyone has taken the PA motorcycle license test at the DMV and if so what is involved? My work schedule doesn't allow me time to take the class so I'm just gonna take the test next Wednesday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

^ADD ME^
z'd up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
drkramm
Tri-State Addict

Member #7360

My Ride:
2011 evo x

left circles, right circles, and figure eights

btw it is on the dmv's web page

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/faq/faq-mcpermit.shtml#Q12
Old 09-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
z'd up
Tri-State Addict

Member #3985

My Ride:

Ok thanks. One guy told me he had to check his lights without looking at his hands, do 3 figure 8s, and an abrupt stop while downshifting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

^ADD ME^
Old 09-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
PAFirefighter11
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2302

My Ride:
98 Trans Am WS7 | 01 Trans AM WS6 | 03 VW Golf TDI | 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (ZJ)

Send a message via AIM to PAFirefighter11
Don't do that... Go take the Basic Rider Course or the Experience Rider Course. You learn TONS and you get your license if you pass the tests at the end of class. It's FREE and well worth your time!

http://www.pamsp.com/
Nikon D2x | Canon AE-1 | SB600 | Nikkor Lenses: 28-105 3.5-4.5 | 50 1.8 | 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Dakine Sequence | Bogen/Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod | 3231 Monopod | 486RC2 head | AlienBees B1600 | etc.
FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane
wow some of you jeep guys party hard
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
z'd up
Tri-State Addict

Member #3985

My Ride:

I would but like I said in my first post I don't have a set schedule. I work when they tell me to work so to get off 2 nights for 2 weeks would be nearly impossible. I don't have set days off.

^ADD ME^
Old 09-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Motorcycle Safety Course is the best thing out there. Personally, you shouldn't get a permit without taking it. Doens't matter if you rode dirt bikes all your life, the street is complely different.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
Motorcycle Safety Course is the best thing out there. Personally, you shouldn't get a permit without taking it. Doens't matter if you rode dirt bikes all your life, the street is complely different.
And, what's the point of that? You need the permit to take the course in the first place because you need to prove you have some basic knowledge about bikes.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
sleeper15
Tri-State Addict

Member #14620

My Ride:
08 Civic Mugen SI, 08 S2000 CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkramm View Post
left circles, right circles, and figure eights

btw it is on the dmv's web page

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/faq/faq-mcpermit.shtml#Q12
good info, cause i've been thinking of learning to ride a motorcycle for a while now.

sleeper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #9
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Insulin? View Post
And, what's the point of that? You need the permit to take the course in the first place because you need to prove you have some basic knowledge about bikes.
The permet test is a joke. You take a written test where the answer is always the most conserivive choice, then they say good luck.

Since it obviously wouldn't be safe to have someone on the bike with a noob rider, why not require anyone who wants a bike to take the course first before any road riding is done.

Just like a car, they don't say good luck, you have to drive with an experience driver until you pass the test.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
PAFirefighter11
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2302

My Ride:
98 Trans Am WS7 | 01 Trans AM WS6 | 03 VW Golf TDI | 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (ZJ)

Send a message via AIM to PAFirefighter11
Permit & conservative! :P
Nikon D2x | Canon AE-1 | SB600 | Nikkor Lenses: 28-105 3.5-4.5 | 50 1.8 | 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Dakine Sequence | Bogen/Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod | 3231 Monopod | 486RC2 head | AlienBees B1600 | etc.
FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane
wow some of you jeep guys party hard
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
drkramm
Tri-State Addict

Member #7360

My Ride:
2011 evo x

i love how everyone tells ya to take the rider safety course

when twice you say you don't have a flexible enough schedule to take said class

i can't wait for the day when people read a post all the way through

i rode 3 years before taking the saftey course and while a fun course and easy way to get your license i learned nothing from it ... not a useless class but just because you take it doesn't stop you or other people from being stupid
Old 09-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #12
2002stanggt
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7780

My Ride:
2002 mustang GT

Quote:

i can't wait for the day when people read a post all the way through

i rode 3 years before taking the saftey course and while a fun course and easy way to get your license i learned nothing from it ... not a useless class but just because you take it doesn't stop you or other people from being stupid
You didn't learn anything from it because you already knew how to ride and had been riding for 3 years. I took it when I never rode before and it def helped.

2002stanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #13
Vypurr
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #58

My Ride:
06' SGM STi / 05' ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to Vypurr
Can anyone point out what is on this written test? I am sure it's easy just like the normal car permit test. I just don't wanna be the fool who goes in with no idea what to expect.
Gentleman do what ever it takes to empty our coffers lapdances, champagne dances, shower dances. Oh the things you can buy for a handfull of bills. It makes me excited. It gives me the chills. Thell be filcher rubs, breeders, hambones and tweeners, zobos and debos and blorps that go eenah. for a one dollar bill you can pull down their zippers.
I am the snorlax, I speak for the strippers!
Vypurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
dwl137
Tri-State Addict

Member #1248

My Ride:
2013 MX-5 Club, 2011 Golf TDI

Send a message via AIM to dwl137
If you want to look over the manual they give you to "study" for the test it's available online here: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...als/PUB147.pdf
dwl137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #15
snackman508
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7494

My Ride:
1998 Honda DX turboed/ 1996 240sx RB25 in mid swap

the permit is not as easy as people make it out to be, there are a ton of trick questions. and z'd up, just take the rider safety course its very good. JK
snackman508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
z'd up
Tri-State Addict

Member #3985

My Ride:

Haha well quick update. I took my test and passed at the Lancaster DMV

^ADD ME^
Old 12-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
SniperGrl
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13662

I have never ridden a motorcycle before and I took the BRC. Best class you can take and it's free. To the poster above, I am unsure how long ago you took the course but I definitely learned a lot. I took the course recently (within the past couple months) and the class learned how to swerve properly, how to change lanes, the friction zone, how to ride over obstacles, etc. How can you NOT have time? They have very flexible schedules and the classroom instruction is held in the evenings. You can span it out over 2 weeks or take it all back to back (4-days total).

The actual test (through the course) was not too difficult but was not easy -- especially after riding 6 hours already. It was 3 or 4 phases IIRC. You do the 2 U-turns (Figure 8) then speed to swerve and end in a controlled stop. A lot of people who took the course failed this because they fell and/or dropped the bike. I will be making the time to take the advanced riding course next season.
SniperGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #18
SniperGrl
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vypurr View Post
Can anyone point out what is on this written test? I am sure it's easy just like the normal car permit test. I just don't wanna be the fool who goes in with no idea what to expect.
The written test is pretty similar to the permit just more in depth. A lot of it is common sense about riding gear, alcohol, and what to do in certain situations. The trickiest questions on the test (for me anyway) were regarding weight distribution, different mirror types, and taking turns/corners.
SniperGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #19
fkranich23
Noob-Jersey

Member #15241

I took the rider course and it was incredibly easy. it took about four days of two hour classes. free and i got my mc license.
fkranich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #20
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vypurr View Post
Stop off at the DMV and grab the booklet for it. Read through the book once and you'll pass no problem.

Quote:

I read all the posts and I am going to stick with if you don't know how to ride on the street then take the class it's worth it. Talk to your boss and see if he can work something out with your schedule. I think they have a weekend only option etc..

It really is your best option. If you already knew how to ride you wouldn't have to worry about the skills test and wouldn't need the class anyway.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote