TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Motorcycles
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
FocusDude
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6269

My Ride:
01 Focus ZX3

Looking at a Vulcan 900

I've been debating for a year or three, the wifey doesn't care. So it's about time I do something completely stupid and selfish and buy a bike. Guess the mid life crisis is coming early?!

I've been riding my buddies '01 VStar 650 for the past year, I love it, but it needs a little more power when on the highway.
I've been pointed in the direction of a '09 Vulcan 900 Custom with 6k miles on it. Pretty much stock and showroom clean, minus a aftermarket half windshield.
I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible, while staying mechanically mint. This Vulcan is a tad more then I'd like to spend but the price keeps dropping, its nicer then I was originally thinking about, and I may have a connection or two that can get it in my price range. I was thinking I'd go lowball a few guys with V-Star 900-1100 and see what I can find, never considered another make.

Is there anything I should know prior to signing for it? A good friend of mine it gonna test ride it, along with my boss, since I slacked on getting my cycle license this past summer. The dealer will only allow licensed riders to test drive bikes... Honestly the test drive doesn't bother me-

I'm hoping to ride this thing long distance, along with local scenic tours. Cruising to OCMD for bike week in the fall is a must-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
FocusDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
07cobaltLScoupe
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #22457

My Ride:
2007 Cobalt LS - 1979 Honda 400 - 2012 Yamaha FZ8

honestly those miles aren't awful for the year (i put 1400 on my Honda this past year.) IMO the main things to check are tires, brakes, and the belt or the chain drive (not sure what it would be, i dont know kawi's.) the test ride would be the big winner here on telling what kind of shape it's in so it's good you at least have someone to do that for you. but why haven't you considered another make? i've grown up around Harley's my whole life and i have actually been considering a couple different bikes as my next one (keeping my Honda) but after a long time of sitting on bikes and reading reviews i've pretty much narrowed it down to a new Harley Street Bob for the performance/style/ride i'm looking for. just keep your options open and just because a bike is in your price range doesn't mean you have to buy it if it isn't exactly what you're looking for
Old 01-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
FocusDude
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6269

My Ride:
01 Focus ZX3

I've considered every make that makes a crusier/chopper/harley type bike. I was looking at HD's but I only really like the WideGlide, Softail's and Tourer's, and I dont have enough expendable cash to make anything in that realm as my first bike. Sporsters are to small, and your not finding anything else worth while under $10k. I'm hoping to spend a third of that.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
FocusDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
07cobaltLScoupe
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #22457

My Ride:
2007 Cobalt LS - 1979 Honda 400 - 2012 Yamaha FZ8

hey i understand where youre coming from man. sportsters are a little too small for me as well which is why i never really considered one of those, and yea once i get working a new job i should be able to get what i want. i could go out and buy a bike right now but i dont want to compromise on a lower budget and end up not being happy, so get whatever makes you happy and what you feel will give you the most use! get your experience up and maybe down the road you'll find an even better bike!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
mbeem546
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1696

my dad has an 06, he loves it. enough power to get him around and enjoy he has 16k miles on it and completely happy not a problem with it. I tool around on it once in awhile when im bored of riding mine its very comfortable. good luck!
mbeem546 is offline   Reply With Quote