TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Gallery > Photography
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
b0rN Fr0m JeTs
Tri-State Addict

Member #2355

My Ride:
06 Pontiac G6 GTP 6spd

Send a message via AIM to b0rN Fr0m JeTs
Canon one-upped Nikon with the official 5D MkII

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos5dm2/v

Canon 20D
<3 L Glass
b0rN Fr0m JeTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

Send a message via AIM to 97TurboDSM
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, do want. whats the price tag on that bad boy
Old 09-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
b0rN Fr0m JeTs
Tri-State Addict

Member #2355

My Ride:
06 Pontiac G6 GTP 6spd

2699 for the body
here's a side-by-side comparison with the D700.

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/pics/5dIIvsD700.jpg

Canon 20D
<3 L Glass
Old 09-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

damn that D700 is nasty. some give and take items that make them fairly similar but that d700 has some really nasty features
Old 09-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
I dont see many places the D700 comes out on top... man my D300 is so ghetto now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
cszakolczai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2954

My Ride:
Sentra SER Spec V

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
I dont see many places the D700 comes out on top... man my D300 is so ghetto now.
Your D300 is ghetto? Sh*t, I guess that makes my D200 super ghetto. And makes my D50 Super Duper Ghetto.
cszakolczai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

30D Ghettoness is where its at.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

yeah i wasnt totally serious... i try not to get too caught up with the gear and instead focus more on the guy pressing the shutter.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 09-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
jspek
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #539

My Ride:
cafe and a broke s2k

Send a message via AIM to jspek
yea i was just reading about it on ken rockwell
http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/5d-mk-ii.htm

jspek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
cszakolczai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2954

My Ride:
Sentra SER Spec V

Quote:
yeah i wasnt totally serious... i try not to get too caught up with the gear and instead focus more on the guy pressing the shutter.
I know I just tried to make a funny... didn't work to well.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
cszakolczai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2954

My Ride:
Sentra SER Spec V

looks like a really great camera... it must be nice to be Ken Rockwell and drop the 2700 bucks like its nothing. We'll wait to see what Nikon comes up with... if anything.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
howielong
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #586

My Ride:
Grandpa Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to howielong Send a message via MSN to howielong
Quote:
Damn when did you get a D300. I love my D300 and probably will not replace it for a long time to come.

The 5DMKII sounds like a nice camera but why does Canon only use 9 AF points. Maybe I'm biased but that would deter me a little bit about buying a Canon. Not saying I wouldn't buy one but, you'd think there would be more AF points to pick from.

howielong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

I've had a D200 for a long time and I bought a D300 about a year ago as well... needed a 2 body system just so I had a backup on important jobs. I wish I had 2 matching bodies though so depending on where prices go I may look to switch up the D200 for a used D300 if the cost difference isnt too painful. Or... what are these D90s all about? Hmm, interesting...

|

Quote:

|
Old 09-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #14
b0rN Fr0m JeTs
Tri-State Addict

Member #2355

My Ride:
06 Pontiac G6 GTP 6spd

i'd just like to say i'm glad to see you nikon guys aren't bashing it and giving it the respect it definitely deserves. I wish i had some time or money for this camera

Canon 20D
<3 L Glass
Old 09-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #15
cszakolczai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2954

My Ride:
Sentra SER Spec V

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rN Fr0m JeTs View Post
i'd just like to say i'm glad to see you nikon guys aren't bashing it and giving it the respect it definitely deserves. I wish i had some time or money for this camera
We are all camera guys in the end, I just see that as being a lot of money. Thats a sweet camera but I just can't afford it and I'm not leaving Nikon.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #16
cszakolczai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2954

My Ride:
Sentra SER Spec V

Quote:
I've had a D200 for a long time and I bought a D300 about a year ago as well... needed a 2 body system just so I had a backup on important jobs. I wish I had 2 matching bodies though so depending on where prices go I may look to switch up the D200 for a used D300 if the cost difference isnt too painful. Or... what are these D90s all about? Hmm, interesting...
Ha, that reminds me of something I should have taken a picture of but totally forgot to.

I was talking to a photographer who worked for a company (can't remember the name) but instead of 2 D300's or something, he had 2 D3's with 24-70 lenses on each of the camera's, funny part was how he just slung them over his shoulder and didn't think much of it. I totaled up the price of all his stuff and not including any accesories, I think he totaled around 13 grand.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #17
i like rice
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3858

Quote:
Originally Posted by howielong View Post
The 5DMKII sounds like a nice camera but why does Canon only use 9 AF points. Maybe I'm biased but that would deter me a little bit about buying a Canon. Not saying I wouldn't buy one but, you'd think there would be more AF points to pick from.
There's more to an autofocus system then just the number of AF points. The algorithms and software coding is more important. Those who use full frame body aren't going to require the 60 gazillion AF points because the subjects they shoot are generally static or slow moving. Canon has their line up built around their target market (1D MKIII, 1Ds MKIII, 5D MKII, 50D, 450D, etc). There's no need to increase the market price of a 5D MKII by adding a more advanced/ more expensive AF system in a body that wouldn't fully utilize the system. Plus, they don't want to pack too many features and pull market share from their own product line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cszakolczai View Post
he had 2 D3's with 24-70 lenses on each of the camera's, funny part was how he just slung them over his shoulder and didn't think much of it.
Most PJ or sports photographers beat the crap out of their gear. It doesn't really matter since it's just visual and doesn't affect the functionality and reliability of the camera. The bodies can take the beating.

i like rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #18
TurboV
Tri-State Addict

Member #7584

My Ride:
02 Spec V, 94 Supra TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cszakolczai View Post
Your D300 is ghetto? Sh*t, I guess that makes my D200 super ghetto. And makes my D50 Super Duper Ghetto.
But Chris, your D50 is super duper ghetto :P *Remembers when I use to taunt you with my D70* Don't worry, I'll be super ghetto with you... until the D300 is handed down to me once the D700 is out. Then the taunting begins again :P

Anyways, props to Canon. I've always seen it as a endless one upping of each by Canon and Nikon, and I sure Nikon will one up Canon, and then Canon will do it again, and yadda yadda.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:51 AM   #19
jspek
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #539

My Ride:
cafe and a broke s2k

Send a message via AIM to jspek
hey noob the d700 has been out. damn son where you been at? lol jk

but yea technology is nice and all, but if you dont know how to use your camera, you suck. ive seen countless people with d300's, d3's, 5d's etc that take craptastic pics. one of the reasons i have taken so long to upgrade. i just hope nikon doesnt get caught up in the megapixel war. although i would like to see the "d3x" be a high mp. its bound to happen.

Last edited by jspek; 09-18-2008 at 12:54 AM.
jspek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:53 AM   #20
sisforsurfing
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #267

My Ride:
2003 WRX wagon

Send a message via AIM to sisforsurfing
They are on the same price point and both full frame, but do different things better than one another. I am COMPLETELY brand unbiased and would have a hard time choosing between the two for what I shoot. I still think I would prefer the Nikon since the extra MP are dead weight (21 MP? are people printing at like 4 feet wide?), it has a higher frame rate and an arguably better AF system. Arguably!!

That said, it really looks great and is spec'd just as expected. Who knows, I might end up with one in a year or two. All I know is that while I love my D300 to death, a full frame camera would be really, really nice for ISO's over 800 (and the giant viewfinder). Wondering how the Canon will do with noise.

edit: Actually, the more I look at it, the more I'm sold on the Nikon. The Canon looks like a 5DMkI with the 1Ds sensor stuck in, more of a facelift than total upgrade. Sure, it's an awesome sensor, but the rest of the package is lacking to me. Only 0.9 fps more and the same AF system as the 3 year old camera, and instead egregious pixels and a video mode? I'd be almost as happy with the Mark I. I'm sure the IQ will be phenomenal, though.

Last edited by sisforsurfing; 09-18-2008 at 02:31 AM.
sisforsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote