TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Spotted!
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
#26 Shelby Daytona RT1 to Biz RT1

Saw this thing yesterday morning, got on RT1 at street road, got off at business 1. Sounded like the real deal, but I can't imagine it being real as these cars cost millions, probably a kit like all the Cobras running around. For reference, it's this

Old 11-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
That's a sexy car. I saw a Porsche 959 in a parking garage one day and dismissed it as a replica because they are so rare and expensive. About a year later I saw the car at the Philly auto show and talked to the owner... Same car and yes he drives it to work (hospital) sometimes and parks it in a secluded area of the parking garage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
I can believe that, and I love the 959, but IIRC there were only 6 of these built ever. I know one is at the Semione Foundation Museum by PHL Airport and it's actually the 1st of 6 made.

Chassis # CSX2287 - The Original
Chassis #CSX2287 was the very first prototype Cobra Daytona Coupe. The only coupe that was built entirely at the Shelby American race shop in Venice, California. It has an extensive race history, competing at Daytona, Sebring, Reims, Spa Francorchamps, Oulton Park TT, Le Mans and Tour de France. It was driven by Chris Amon, Dave MacDonald, Bob Holbert, Jo Schlesser, Phil Hill, Jochen Neerpasch, Innes Ireland, André Simon, Maurice Dupeyron, Bob Johnson and Tom Payne.

Chassis CSX2287 won the GT race at the 12 Hours of Sebring in March 1964 with MacDonald and Holbert behind the wheel. The race at Sebring was the first time that a Cobra Daytona Coupe won the GT III category in an FIA race. At Le Mans in June 1964, the car was finished in Viking Blue metallic very distinctive white painted front fenders. The drivers were Amon and Neerpasch. They led the GT class until the car was disqualified in the 10th hour for an illegal jump start due to battery and alternator failure.

This coupe ended its racing career by setting 25 USAC/FIA world records at the Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, in November 1965, while driven by Craig Breedlove, Bobby Tatroe and Tom Greatorex.

All trace of CSX2287 was lost by the mid-1970s, with car historians and collectors fearing the car had been destroyed. In 2001 the car was rediscovered in a rental storage unit in California.[5] The owner Donna O'Hara had committed suicide by burning herself alive.[6] The car had remained undiscovered for almost 30 years. Due to its estimated worth of over $4,000,000 the car was part of an extensive legal battle between her mother who sold the car to a collector in Pennsylvania, and a friend of Ms. O'Hara who was the recipient in her will of the contents of the storage unit. An earlier owner of the car appears to have been music producer Phil Spector who had been known to drive it on the streets of Los Angeles.[7] Built for high-speed sprints, the cab became uncomfortably warm as the car engine heated up, among other problems. "It wasn't a street car; it was a race car", Shelby said. Still, Spector drove it on the streets, and legend is that Spector racked up so many speeding tickets, his lawyer advised him to get rid of the car before he lost his license. This car was featured in "The Monkees" episode, "The Monkees Race Again" (aka "Leave the Driving to Us"), originally aired on February 12, 1968.

CSX2287 has been mechanically reconditioned and is on display at the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum in Philadelphia. Jay Leno has been to the museum and video of him driving the car appears on his web site.

Museum Site: http://simeonemuseum.org/
Really great place to visit for any car buff also

Last edited by CleanNeon98; 11-03-2014 at 10:47 AM.
CleanNeon98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
empera
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3674

My Ride:
67.5 Roadster, 00 Outback, 93.5 Supra tt, 88 Shiro, Tundra, turbo sc300

Send a message via AIM to empera
Hey i've seen that car on street road before...does sound pretty damn awesome!
empera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Yea I've seen a bunch of kits of this car. I can't imagine it was real. either way its awesome and I'd love to build one of the kits someday.

FRP™ #5
HatchSurfer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Older local dude, has like four kit cars of varying flavors, a ton of old Harleys, and a Norton that I've been trying to have willed to me whenever he croaks. Former customer from when I worked at HD.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Insulin? View Post
Older local dude, has like four kit cars of varying flavors, a ton of old Harleys, and a Norton that I've been trying to have willed to me whenever he croaks. Former customer from when I worked at HD.
Can I get in on it and have one of the kits willed to me? What are the details on the Norton?

FRP™ #5
HatchSurfer3 is offline   Reply With Quote