TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Honda / Acura Talk
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
youraveragedsmer
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #7506

My Ride:
2G AWD

Honda b20

I just bough a honda hatchback as a daily driver. It came with a B20B and feels like a sled. I want to put a LS head on it. Will that give it more topend?
youraveragedsmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
redg2
Tri-State Addict

Member #3899

My Ride:
Redg2

no the heads are preety much the same that wont help , but a gsr head might help. and what do you mean by sled?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
redg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
BigWhiteTodd
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8795

My Ride:
01 camaro

Send a message via AIM to BigWhiteTodd
yeah stock b20 has some tq but for top end get a vtec head
BigWhiteTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
youraveragedsmer

Member #7506

My Ride:
2G AWD

Really slow.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
BigWhiteTodd
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8795

My Ride:
01 camaro

well is it running right any check engine an this is going to get moved to honda chat
Old 11-29-2008, 10:39 PM
bdmaxima
This message has been deleted by driftingrx5.7. Reason: brand war no need to fight and off topic
Old 11-29-2008, 10:45 PM
BigWhiteTodd
This message has been deleted by driftingrx5.7. Reason: brand war no need to fight and off topic
Old 11-29-2008, 10:51 PM
underpressure02
Old 11-29-2008, 11:04 PM
bdmaxima
Old 11-29-2008, 11:06 PM
bdmaxima
Old 11-29-2008, 11:10 PM
BigWhiteTodd
Old 11-29-2008, 11:13 PM
underpressure02
Old 11-29-2008, 11:22 PM
BigWhiteTodd
Old 11-29-2008, 11:58 PM
SovXietday
Old 11-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #6
driftingrx5.7
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3099

My Ride:
88 rx5.7

Send a message via AIM to driftingrx5.7 Send a message via Yahoo to driftingrx5.7
the b20 head and the ls head is pretty much the same i have a b18b in my hatch and i like it. i never drove a civic with a b20. if you want ot trade let me know :D. but as for putting a vtech head on it i would say don't do it! puting a vtec head on a non vtec block for a daily driver can be a bad thing for a daily driver IF and i mean IF its not 100% correct it will blow and many busted head gaskets. like i said its just not good for a daily driver. racer sure, and if done right your golden. i have seen so many b series non vtec motor with vtec heads just go bad. so keep the b20 if not go with the whole b18b motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
driftingrx5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:34 AM   #7
underpressure02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingrx5.7 View Post
the b20 head and the ls head is pretty much the same i have a b18b in my hatch and i like it. i never drove a civic with a b20. if you want ot trade let me know :D. but as for putting a vtech head on it i would say don't do it! puting a vtec head on a non vtec block for a daily driver can be a bad thing for a daily driver IF and i mean IF its not 100% correct it will blow and many busted head gaskets. like i said its just not good for a daily driver. racer sure, and if done right your golden. i have seen so many b series non vtec motor with vtec heads just go bad. so keep the b20 if not go with the whole b18b motor

Not sure what is so hard about doing an ls/vtec or a b20 vtec. I have been doing them since 99 and have yet to ever have an issue. I use to drive over 200 miles a day with my boosted ls/vtec with no issues.

What issues have you had or seen with ls/vtec?

Northeast Drag Racing Club/Performance Parts Webstore

Last edited by TROLL; 11-30-2008 at 09:17 PM.
underpressure02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
highmilehatch
Tri-State Addict

Member #929

Send a message via AIM to highmilehatch
Quote:
WTF are you talking about dude? "Blow and many busted headgaskets"? What??? It doesn't take a genious to put together an LS-Vtec.

If your an idiot, and you build one, it doesn't matter if it's for a daily driver or a "racer". It's still going to turn out like ****.

The reason you see so many go bad is because you or whoever your talking about have no idea what your doing. If your not going to do it 100% to begin with, don't even bother doing it.

So anyone who reads this, don't be afraid of doing LS-vtec. They are reliable when done right, which is the only way you should do things anyway.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
BigWhiteTodd
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8795

My Ride:
01 camaro

Quote:
your wrong my friend has a lsv and it has work done to it. he drives it everyday for almost a year now
Old 11-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
youraveragedsmer

Member #7506

My Ride:
2G AWD

I understand that the vtech has a oil port in the head and nonvtech blocks don't. I just figured to up the compression and make it like a ls stroker. Has anyone built a B20 motor? would it be better to put a B18B in it.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
highmilehatch
Tri-State Addict

Member #929

Keep your B20. Make sure compression is good. Get a GSR or B16 head, ARP headstuds, GSR/B16 timing belt, water pump, oil pump, dizzy, and Golden Eagle LS-vtec conversion kit. Follow the instructions that come with the kit to a T to prep the head and block.

Remove cylinder head, timing belt, water pump, oil pump, and oil pan. Clean all traces of oil off block and run a thread restorer down the head bolt holes. Clean them completely out with brakekleen afterwards and make sure they are DRY.

After prepping the block and head, install the new Vtec head with oil feed line again following the directions. Make sure everything is CLEAN. Use your preferred method for installing the ARP studs whether you use motor oil or the moly lube. I prefer motor oil and have my own torque sequence and specs that always works for me. Install new timing belt, water pump, oil pump and reseal oil pan.

Add vtec wires to A4 and D6 at ECU. Run the wires through the firewall and scavenge the plugs you need for the pressure switch and solenoid from another harness. You can even be fancy like me and have a plug that will allow you to disconnect the vtec wires like factory, rather than having them run straight from ECU to sensor. If your using a GSR IM with IAB you need to add wiring as well at A17. I just use the EVAP purge solenoid plug for the IAB sensor, and move pin A20 to A17. Most people just run a Skunk or Edelbrock IM that doesn't use IAB. Ground the black wire on the vtec pressure switch at the thermostat housing ground. You can take your time and make the wiring look factory, or you can rush the job and have a rats nest of wiring that looks like a 6 year old did the job. Order an ECU that has a basemap that is close to your setup. Make sure it disables knock. If your using a GSR head and stock IM, make sure it has IAB support.

Pull the blue 15 amp ecu fuse in the fuse box and crank the car to build oil pressure. At this time check for any leaks. Keep cranking the car until the oil pressure light goes out. Sometimes it takes a while. Put the fuse back in and your done.

OR

You can pay me $700 to do this labor, and have it done right the first time.

Now you have Vtec and a head that can actually move some air. Enjoy your added 30-40whp.

OR

You can skip the Vtec head, turbocharge the B20 (using good parts, not junk), make 300whp on pump gas and go run some 12s and maybe 11's on slicks.

Last edited by highmilehatch; 11-30-2008 at 04:53 PM.
highmilehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #12
BigWhiteTodd
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8795

My Ride:
01 camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmilehatch View Post
Keep your B20. Make sure compression is good. Get a GSR or B16 head, ARP headstuds, GSR/B16 timing belt, water pump, oil pump, dizzy, and Golden Eagle LS-vtec conversion kit. Follow the instructions that come with the kit to a T to prep the head and block.

Remove cylinder head, timing belt, water pump, oil pump, and oil pan. Clean all traces of oil off block and run a thread restorer down the head bolt holes. Clean them completely out with brakekleen afterwards and make sure they are DRY.

After prepping the block and head, install the new Vtec head with oil feed line again following the directions. Make sure everything is CLEAN. Use your preferred method for installing the ARP studs whether you use motor oil or the moly lube. I prefer motor oil and have my own torque sequence and specs that always works for me. Install new timing belt, water pump, oil pump and reseal oil pan.

Add vtec wires to A4 and D6 at ECU. Run the wires through the firewall and scavenge the plugs you need for the pressure switch and solenoid from another harness. You can even be fancy like me and have a plug that will allow you to disconnect the vtec wires like factory, rather than having them run straight from ECU to sensor. If your using a GSR IM with IAB you need to add wiring as well at A17. I just use the EVAP purge solenoid plug for the IAB sensor, and move pin A20 to A17. Most people just run a Skunk or Edelbrock IM that doesn't use IAB. Ground the black wire on the vtec pressure switch at the thermostat housing ground. You can take your time and make the wiring look factory, or you can rush the job and have a rats nest of wiring that looks like a 6 year old did the job. Order an ECU that has a basemap that is close to your setup. Make sure it disables knock. If your using a GSR head and stock IM, make sure it has IAB support.

Pull the blue 15 amp ecu fuse in the fuse box and crank the car to build oil pressure. At this time check for any leaks. Keep cranking the car until the oil pressure light goes out. Sometimes it takes a while. Put the fuse back in and your done.

OR

You can pay me $700 to do this labor, and have it done right the first time.

Now you have Vtec and a head that can actually move some air. Enjoy your added 30-40whp.

OR

You can skip the Vtec head, turbocharge the B20 (using good parts, not junk), make 300whp on pump gas and go run some 12s and maybe 11's on slicks.
my roommate had his turbo it was good 20 psi but i blew a head gasket
Old 11-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
underpressure02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWhiteTodd View Post
I would blame that on tuning, misfire, and no the amount of boost.

I run over 30psi through my stock ls/vtec with a gt4088 using an autozone headgasket and never had an issue blowning headgaskets.

One night the store was closed and we needed to get the motor back together so I put the used autozone head gasket on and held over 500 hp with no issues ran it the next day and went 10's.

Northeast Drag Racing Club/Performance Parts Webstore

Last edited by TROLL; 11-30-2008 at 09:17 PM.
underpressure02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #14
BigWhiteTodd
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8795

My Ride:
01 camaro

never said it was the amount of boost plus it was after couple thousand miles of driving car ran fine but it was all stock
Old 11-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #15
highmilehatch
Tri-State Addict

Member #929

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWhiteTodd View Post
Please elaborate. What does that statement mean? Was your roommate using a half ass way to control fuel like an afc?
Old 11-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #16
BigWhiteTodd
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8795

My Ride:
01 camaro

nah sorry well build car just bad driver haha
Old 11-30-2008, 11:08 PM   #17
youraveragedsmer

Member #7506

My Ride:
2G AWD

When i take the head and oil pan off. Should i add pistons and rod. 9.6:1 ratio. I was thinking about spraying.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:58 PM   #18
Keeper1343
Tri-State Addict

Member #5714

My Ride:
99 Honda Prelude... get some.

Send a message via AIM to Keeper1343 Send a message via Yahoo to Keeper1343
not unless your turboing the car....
Cleanneon (4:51:38 PM): guys find a vag, start bangin it, forget their friends
Cleanneon (4:52:00 PM): 2 months (usually less) later the vag finds another douchebag, and your friends want nothing to do with you
Keeper1343 (4:52:07 PM): lol
Cleanneon (4:52:07 PM): on top of which it hurts you to pee
Keeper1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #19
youraveragedsmer

Member #7506

My Ride:
2G AWD

I want it all motor. I would love to turbo it but my race car is a dsm. Thats why i bought a honda as a daily beater. With the stock B20 the car doesn't get out of its own way. The car is no fun to drive.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #20
highmilehatch
Tri-State Addict

Member #929

Sure if you want. Have you ever replaced pistons before? Just keep it simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youraveragedsmer View Post
When i take the head and oil pan off. Should i add pistons and rod. 9.6:1 ratio. I was thinking about spraying.