TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 10:04 PM   #261
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
It's wild how little we've all driven. It's going to suck having to drive to work every day, haha.
Seriously... after my first year of driving from DC to richmond to charlotte, I needed a cool-off year for mileage on this car, haha.

I started the year around 16k... at 17k now, which is almost right at 12k a year pace again. Wheew... I want to keep this car for a long time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:41 PM   #262
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Small functional mod:

Added the homelink auto-dimming with Compass rearview mirror to the car yesterday.

Setting up the homelink was easy, but the fun part was calibrating the Compass.

For that, you have to drive in a circle at 5 mph for the calibration. My neighbor asked me if I had a nice drive after doing just that around the block.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 09-22-2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:06 AM   #263
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Frameless? so good looking!

Same calibration procedure in my crappy F150 and it still calibrates like 45 degrees off, lol
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #264
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Frameless? so good looking!

Same calibration procedure in my crappy F150 and it still calibrates like 45 degrees off, lol
Thank you! It’s huge in comparison to the original haha

Oh man, I’ll have to check the accuracy next! Wheew. Confirmed it’s accurate.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 09-23-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #265
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Not too many updates to report here.

Second oil change is due because it's been a year since the last one. less than 2000 miles on this change but it's covered under the maintenance plan.

Going to order some PS4 tires for the car and hope that February doesn't get too cold here (most likely we will still be WFH anyway).

Getting alignment checked at the dealer too. Looking forward to their expressions at the front negative camber values will be priceless.

Only change i've made recently was to go back to stock on the DSG paddles. Grew tired of the metal bits... didn't really match any surface in the interior.

Remaining mod/repair list:
-Euro taillights (christmas)
-Akrapovic exhaust
-Drivers side headlight

Trip planned to Little Switzerland in the mountains of NC mid-november. Will be driving the R with my buddy Ryan who will be piloting his new GT350. Hopefully he doesn't lose me too bad

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-24-2020, 04:26 PM   #266
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

A few friends of mine like the Golf R a lot, sent them your thread and they love the mods
Old 10-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #267
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
A few friends of mine like the Golf R a lot, sent them your thread and they love the mods
Thanks dude! Things have slowed down a lot lately, car has been sitting while i buy vacations for the anniversary and the holidays.

This friday, it'll get the dealership treatment. I may grab those taillights before christmas

Other than that, the build is nearly done.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #268
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Other than that, the build is nearly done.
so whats the next build?
Old 10-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #269
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
so whats the next build?
Another 911 most likely. A couple years out.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-08-2021, 11:07 AM   #270
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Small update:

My factory 19’s are bent from the roads around here due to construction.

Will be replacing them with black Pretoria 18’s and some Conti DWS06 all seasons for daily use.

The new wheels and tires go on next week. I’ll be leaving the 19’s with the dealer for repairs.

The bent 19’s are being repaired under the wheel and tire warranty next week. I’ll then be putting on summer rubber on them.

That wheel and tire warranty cost me $795. It will cover over that in repairs after this go around.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-08-2021, 11:42 AM   #271
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Holy crap, the 19s are that bad?! Sounds like GM ****ing up the C7 "Cup" wheels where a class action lawsuit happened

DWS06 are a solid choice!
Old 01-08-2021, 12:12 PM   #272
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Holy crap, the 19s are that bad?! Sounds like GM ****ing up the C7 "Cup" wheels where a class action lawsuit happened

DWS06 are a solid choice!
Oh yeah. The 19” Pretorias bend a lot. They’re flowformed, not forged so a good pothole can take them out with the 35 sidewalls.

Thanks! Gaining 3-4 lbs per corner with this change but the cast 18’s don’t seem to have the bending issues.

I’ll save the 19’s for summer mountains use.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-08-2021, 12:44 PM   #273
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Seems like a worthwhile trade. No interest in aftermarket wheels?
Old 01-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #274
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Seems like a worthwhile trade. No interest in aftermarket wheels?
After looking at a few of them, none really interested me. I just love how Pretorias look on this car 😊

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-08-2021, 01:05 PM   #275
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I mean... You're not wrong, haha. Any aftermarket wheel worth putting on that looks good is expensive or heavy!
Old 01-08-2021, 02:28 PM   #276
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I mean... You're not wrong, haha. Any aftermarket wheel worth putting on that looks good is expensive or heavy!
Thank you, yeah I struggled with it and decided to keep going down the OEM route.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #277
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

New 18” Pretoria’s installed yesterday with fresh conti dws06 rubber. The wheels and tires are GTI sized so I lost a half inch in wheel width and went down 10mm to 225 on tire width but the gain in sidewall height has been a much more noticeable difference than I expected.

I lost some initial turn-in with this move, but the ride comfort is a fairly drastic change. Kind of wild what a difference an extra inch of rubber makes. Road noise is also lower now and the alignment and ACC were redone as it was out of whack from the bent wheels.

The bent wheels get repaired next week or two and are at the dealer. Once they’re done I’ll get some sport cup 2.s for them and save them for a track day.

Next up are the taillights and exhaust then the car is finished. Huge expense here, luckily VW has a 15% rebate haha.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 01-16-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #278
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Any updates on exhaust?

Track day where?
Old 01-19-2021, 02:52 PM   #279
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Any updates on exhaust?

Track day where?
The exchange rate on the exhaust is really bad right now. Waiting for that improve a bit as it’s such a large expense but really, really worth it to me as I plan on paying this car off and keeping it.

Zmax most likely. Something local. ��

Also, not sure if anyone has ever heard of this guy but he’s been a VW expert/writer since the mk5 era and just got his hands on a modified R.

https://youtu.be/TdwqbeRGapc

He’s always said the Clubsport and TCR were more exciting to drive than the factory R. I’ve been in his comments saying to get the Clubsport S parts on an R to see if that changes his opinion. This modified R doesn’t do that but it does have the added negative camber from the B16 suspension and the same RSB I have.

Fun video to hear his thoughts

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 01-19-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:12 PM   #280
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Sounds like he's pretty happy!

Has anyone else pursued the same mod path as you? OEM++ or whatever you want to call it