TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 10-24-2023, 09:24 AM   #101
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Installed the Jackson Racing Dual Cooler and deleted the factory heat exchanger. I was able to use one of the stock heat exchanger hoses to bypass between the two nipples that fed the stock heat exchanger, it was just long enough to not kink, haha.

DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 11:54 AM   #102
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Some data on temps so far:

Before I cut the hood, I saw coolant temps regularly in the mid 190s (Farenheit) and oil temps would heat quickly to 120+ by the first on ramp on my morning commute, plateauing at 210 on the street. Coolant temps peaked at ~201F at autocross but mostly in the upper 190s. Oil temps would peak in the mid 230s in a single autocross run, dropping back down again to low 200s by the next run.

With the hood vent, coolant temps were solidly in the low 190s on the street and they'd be in the mid 190s at autocross. Oil temps seemed to behave identically.

With the rain tray installed on the hood vent, the coolant temps would be in the low-mid 190s, like 192-194 F. Oil temps still identical.

Today, coolant temps were definitely a little slower to warm up and plateaued solidly in the 187-192F range even with the rain tray on the hood vent. Oil temps were lagging ~10 degrees F behind "normal" initially (it *just* hit 120F entering my morning commute on ramp) but then took AGES to get to 185 F and then it was stable there excepting when I peaked it at 194 F after ripping my favorite 270 degree off ramp at 60-80 mph in 3rd gear. It quickly dropped back down into the mid 180s. The oil temps are definitely slower to warm up than the OEM heat exchanger, but way quicker than an air/oil cooler even thermostatically controlled like I had on my first gen.
Old 10-31-2023, 08:48 AM   #103
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Installed the GP Sports "rear traction member collar" aka the "traction mod" that reduces the rear anti-squat for a more compliant suspension and better ability to put power down. Initial testing on the street says it does all of that very well! The car rides better and seems to settle into the road better on corner exit. There's a particularly bumpy intersection I drive every day that I couldn't accelerate out of hard on stock tires even in 2nd gear and now it just squats and goes. I can actually use first gear now without totally roasting the stock rear tires too on regular roads, so that's a marked improvement. Definitely curious how it does in performance driving!

I also installed the Perrin 16mm rear swaybar and made some DIY end links that I offset using some round tube and washers to fine tune the alignment to not bind the joint nor have the end link hit the control arm. Nothing too exciting to report here, but definitely excited to test these changes. I actually installed the end links last week and drove to work with the OEM rear bar all week, the non-OEM rear end links also seemed to make the car ride better, go figure not being all bound up helps a lot with ride quality.

Old 11-06-2023, 02:34 PM   #104
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I did an autocross yesterday with Motorsports NE at MetLife stadium. The recent car changes have been... simply put, incredible. I took top PAX (non-SCCA event using their own PAX) and fastest raw time over a well driven GT4 RS, I took second using SCCA PAX, so that's a pretty darn solid result.

The anti-squat changes are a HUGE improvement, it's frankly kind of mind blowing. I would definitely recommend the traction mod for anyone that can do it within their rule set. The improvement in power down is really hard to describe, but it's really sort of mind blowing how early I can roll on the power now and not worry about the car getting unsettled over bumps or slightly imperfect inputs. I was so late to power on my early runs because it was just so settled and forgiving versus how it was before.

That said, the traction mod brings with it some setup issues. I went ~30% stiffer on the rear swaybar versus stock, but in practice it's likely more with the stiffer bar bushings and better end links, and that nearly perfectly compensated for the geometry changes creating a balance change. So you definitely need to plan ahead and plan on stiffer rear springs or swaybar to get the same steady state balance back now that the rear end is so much more stable and planted.

We made zero setup changes all day (not that we had time anyway since it was 3-4 minutes between runs which is pretty tight) and it was SUPER dialed right from the get-go.

Related, but not? I measured the wing angle change between the two settings, ~1.5 degrees between the two settings. I left it in the lower AoA position for now until I do some front aero.

Here's my fastest run from yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSDO92ez3-A

Here's my codriver's fastest run from yesterday (I'll spare him the embarrassment of naming him haha):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHbtDeUxGW0

Some random photos of yesterday's excitement!

and a quick outside video of my codriver on course, the intake noise when it's near rev limit or on the rev limit is *insane* sounding and a lot of folks came up to me to make sure my car was OK, haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni78yHK3nvg
Old 11-07-2023, 11:16 AM   #105
Oriness_enKa
Noob-Jersey

Member #29507

Send a message via ICQ to Oriness_enKa Send a message via AIM to Oriness_enKa Send a message via Yahoo to Oriness_enKa

Фасовочные пакеты - функциональность и качество
фасовочные пакеты оптом fasovochnye-pakety-optomm ru/ fasovochnye-pakety-optomm ru/
Oriness_enKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 11:28 AM   #106
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Off to NNJR at Metlife Stadium for my final event of the year, it was warm enough and we got 6 runs (or in my case 8 after some re-runs) and the car was a blast. Just some small setup tweaks since last event and the car is awesome. Sadly, I coned away my PAX winning run on my last run. Annoyingly, where I hit cones, I did those sector times clean earlier so the pace was definitely there. I have some more development work to do before next year, but hoping to at least be in the hunt for PAX wins even with the much harder XA PAX (even if XA PAX is too soft for what it is...) Considering lots of other competitors weren't nailing one sector that I was and therefore giving up nearly half a second to me, I need to find pace in the car for next year!

Had a friend help warm tires and give setup feedback, it's been half a year since he drove an autocross so he made some mistakes and under drove a bit, but had a blast and it's always a great time to codrive with friends.

Here's my fastest run, but dirty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIBOU5_vf3Y

Here's my fastest clean run, still third in PAX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UH7Yu-sqpI

My codriver's fastest clean run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn08Y0hQnc8
Old 12-21-2023, 04:33 PM   #107
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I got my splitter blade for next year, just waiting on the brackets. Seems like a pretty nice product so far! Not too heavy, which is good.

Old 01-15-2024, 03:58 PM   #108
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Designed an intake snorkel like the GR Cup cars. No clue if it fits first gens, *should* fit second gens but haven't had a chance to pull my bumper and triple check my work. It fits the airbox fine anyway, with a bit of weather seal tape.

I designed it to maximize the air intake area into the box while still using thin foam weatherstripping (1/16" thick) and mounting using the OEM grommet.

STL here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...9X?usp=sharing

Old 02-10-2024, 09:20 PM   #109
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Installed the Racebred splitter last night/today. I made it really hard on myself by wanting to keep the stock undertrays so I could drive the car without the splitter installed, I succeeded though it's a lot harder to install/remove the splitter now (still pretty quick). The silliest part is that I'll probably still mostly drive the car with the splitter on anyway, it doesn't really scrape on any of my normal roads.

Old 02-20-2024, 10:20 AM   #110
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

Looking good man. You are always so meticulous with how you mod your cars. I love it.

Getting ready for the first events? They will be here before you know it. I know the first meadowlands event is right after I get back from my cruise in March. If I ever decide to get a new helm (been saying that for years) I would love to come down. The Z should pass tech and should be fun to throw around, but I haven't done an event since I owned my Spec-V (12 years ago), so it would also be the first time doing an event in a RWD car. But I feel like if I don't just bite the bullet and get back into it, I may never do it.

I mean even if I took it easy to learn how the car feels whipping it around corners, I think I would still enjoy myself.

EDIT: Bought a new helm. Will be registering for March 23rd's event next week when registration opens. The only thing I need to do is fab up a bracket to secure my fan shroud. Hope you are going to be there, would love to finally meet you. Haven't seen any TST people sine I met up with Jay a few years ago to buy some of his turbo scraps from his Shiro.

Last edited by Bates; 02-22-2024 at 10:55 AM.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 01:02 PM   #111
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Thanks dude! I try really hard to do things the "right" way because I really don't want to ruin my car with bad mods, haha.

Going to be here soon! I've got some interesting developments on the autocross front, but I'll definitely still be at events with my car here and there.

Sign up and run RWD, it's fun and really not that different than FWD in some ways. In my opinion, RWD is easier!

I'll be in Boston that weekend, but I'll be at other events for sure.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:48 AM   #112
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Thanks dude! I try really hard to do things the "right" way because I really don't want to ruin my car with bad mods, haha.

Going to be here soon! I've got some interesting developments on the autocross front, but I'll definitely still be at events with my car here and there.

Sign up and run RWD, it's fun and really not that different than FWD in some ways. In my opinion, RWD is easier!

I'll be in Boston that weekend, but I'll be at other events for sure.
Right on man, I probably won't do every Meadowlands event, but I definitely will do a few. I did notice the Z leaking water when I let it run yesterday, because of course it is, but I think it is just loose a clamp on the hose from the water pump. I'll figure it out soon.

I have always been a FWD guy for some reason, but it will be nice not having to battle understeer in the Z. The Spec-V used to devour cones because of it.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:16 PM   #113
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
Right on man, I probably won't do every Meadowlands event, but I definitely will do a few. I did notice the Z leaking water when I let it run yesterday, because of course it is, but I think it is just loose a clamp on the hose from the water pump. I'll figure it out soon.

I have always been a FWD guy for some reason, but it will be nice not having to battle understeer in the Z. The Spec-V used to devour cones because of it.
Ooo, hope it's simple! Coolant leaks are the way of life on older Japanese cars lol

FWD is either brutal understeer or snap oversteer
Old 02-27-2024, 08:12 PM   #114
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Ooo, hope it's simple! Coolant leaks are the way of life on older Japanese cars lol

FWD is either brutal understeer or snap oversteer
I can see some seepage around the end of the hose on the water pump housing inlet. I didn't notice anything else wet so I think that is it. I'll deal with a coolant leak over oil.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:37 AM   #115
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

First gen front hubs bolt right into a second gen and work perfectly fine. I replaced mine with a Timken which is *much* chunkier. Time will tell if it holds up better.

https://youtu.be/Budys1P_EcQ

For funsies, I replaced the other side wheel bearing bearing with an SKF since that side was also trashed. Looks the same as OEM.

Now we race to see which brand needs to be replaced first, haha.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:54 AM   #116
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

In the E30 world we have been seeing quality issues with the SKF stuff as of late. Lacking grease, bearing dust shields damaged/missing, etc. Interested to see how those wear.

Is there a “right side hits more pot holes or sees more load” myth that you find to be relevant? Surely that’ll matter less on your car since you’re turning all the ways lol
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:02 AM   #117
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
In the E30 world we have been seeing quality issues with the SKF stuff as of late. Lacking grease, bearing dust shields damaged/missing, etc. Interested to see how those wear.

Is there a right side hits more pot holes or sees more load myth that you find to be relevant? Surely thatll matter less on your car since youre turning all the ways lol
Yeah and people have been complaining about Timken for similar reasons too, annoying.

No clue, both sides felt pretty bad and made a lot of noise. I assume the right side would normally go bad first, it did on my wife's Prius.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:40 AM   #118
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Got my 17x10 ET48 Konig Ultragrams from Vision Speedworks a while back, finally got tires on (245/40R17 Yokohama A052) and test fit yesterday with my normal 13mm front spacers and no rear spacers. They look great and the fitment is on point. The clearances in places are... snug. The clearance at full lock to the tie rod is nearly non-existent at ride height, in bump it would touch. I ordered some steering rack limiters to make sure it doesn't touch.

Rear clearance to the fender tab is VERY close when the suspension compresses, but it does clear. Ideally I'd have a RUCA to pull the top of the wheel in, but here we are haha.

The front clearances are a bit easier, especially with the spacers. That said, the tie rod is VERY close.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:43 AM   #119
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Did my first event of the year in my car this past weekend, was planning on killing off my old tires... Turns out they were already dead and off pace. Oh well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2sCxNA6Hcg

Over the weekend my steering rack limiters were delivered, I only needed one clip per side and now I can safely run the Konig wheels

Car is still dirty from autocross, but danggggg

Old 04-16-2024, 02:39 PM   #120
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

BR Zed lookin beefy
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote