TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #41
jesse096
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17203

My Ride:
2002 Chevy Silverado, 2003 BMW 330i ZHP 6 speed

Quote:
Just wondering are you running it recirc ? And are you running the stock maf, also what's your a/f's look like right now ? And last question are you going to dyno it while tuning it ?
He said he's not running a recirculated BOV, that's about all I can answer lol.

-Jesse
a ****ing space ship. next level transportation maneuver. **** 4 wheels son, im airborne.
Quote:
So, chinese food sprinkled with crack.... does that make you hungrier quicker bc you'll be tweaking from crack sprinkles? lol.
jesse096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #42
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwillboost View Post
Just wondering are you running it recirc ? And are you running the stock maf, also what's your a/f's look like right now ? And last question are you going to dyno it while tuning it ?
No Recirc, Stock MAF (that's all I need) A/F I am not sure no gauge hooked up but trust me I am running quite rich, and yes it will be dyno tuned :D. Going to meet with the guy who is going to tune it right now.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:17 AM   #43
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Hopefully getting a tune this week, along with a new FPR, return fuel rail, 440cc injectors installed, and one or two other things. After that, I am going to get a Stage 2 clutch and leave the car alone for a while (most likely get a turbo timer too).

If all goes well this week, I should be picking up a new project. Nothing crazy, but it is a car that I have wanted for a long time, it has just taken a while to find one in such good shape. The engine in the car is blown, so I plan on doing a rebuild, and getting it back on the road ASAP. Won't spoil what it is yet, but it is RWD, 5-speed, and a hatchback (With only 2 spots of rust that I have seen so far). Plans will be to make it a daily while I work on the Sentra. Mod wise, I am looking at a basic suspension setup, strut bar, engine rebuild and a new clutch and flywheel. That way, if I want to autocross it and have some fun I can, but at the same time it won't be a pain in the ass to drive everyday like my Sentra lol. Hopefully picking it up Tuesday and dropping it right off to my mechanic, pictures will follow.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #44
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Might make a separate build thread for this but not just yet. Picked up my new project today: My 1986 N/A 300ZX. I have always wanted a Z31 (or a S30) but could never find one that was in my price range or not rusted to all hell. Picked this one up for a great price. Minimal rust (the quarter panels each have rust in the same spots) but nothing serious at all. The car doesn't run as the timing belt blew, but the engine is going to be rebuilt (new valves, rods, pistons), the rust is going to be fixed, and the paint is going to be touched up on. Will also do a new OEM Exedy Clutch before the car is on the road. The only other near future mods for this car will be suspension, a LSD, and maybe some nice wheels (Konig Rewinds are what I have in mind, though I really want some Panasports or Wantanbes). Engine wise this car is staying stock for a while. I already have a turbo build with the Sentra and that is headache enough lol.

Pictures are a bit rough, it was dark and I only had my phone but you get the idea :D

Old 11-03-2010, 02:10 AM   #45
b15mike
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #17602

My Ride:
2011 hyundai genesis coupe 2.0t

nice dude im actually trying to pick up a z32 and daily my spec v
b15mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:13 AM   #46
JDMTyler3326
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9917

My Ride:
^

Send a message via AIM to JDMTyler3326
Driftttt !?
JDMTyler3326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #47
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b15mike View Post
nice dude im actually trying to pick up a z32 and daily my spec v
Thanks bro, I have always wanted one, I can't wait to drive it. As I said next to a S30 (240Z) this has always been my favorite Z. I would still daily my spec, but the turbo= headache until I work out all the little kinks and start getting better gas mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMTyler3326 View Post
Driftttt !?
SURE! I don't need engine mods to drift. I want to auto X it, and just have fun in it, I don't need to go fast since I have the Spec for that.

Talked to my mechanic this morning, first thing he is checking is the timing belt (obviously). Will continue to update as work is done.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #48
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

The timing belt cover came off today, the belt was stripped but I was expecting that. My mechanic is throwing a new one on today and hoping for the best. I am expecting the worst, so whatever news he gives me I won't care. I still think valves will be bent and pistons are going to shot. If I am lucky and the engine is fine, the car is getting a COMPLETE tune up, and then the car is off to the body shop to have the rust fixed and the paint cleaned up.

Some pictures of the Z in the daytime.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #49
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

The BOV on the Sentra is all screwed up. The adjustment hole in the purple cap is stripped so my BOV is running completely open it sucks. Picking up a temp BOV today while I Wait for my new Type S to come in.

My Z lives. I am one lucky bastard, he slapped the new timing belt on and the car runs. Starts right up, no knocking, no misfiring which means no bent valves or bad pistons! It has a nasty tick but my mechanic thinks with time and the car running more and some new parts it should go away. So now I am replacing all my other belts, doing a full tune up, new water pump, etc...

After that I may get it registered and insured and drive it for a month or two and then take it to the body shop. If not it is going right to a body shop to have the rust cut out, and new pieces welded in.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #50
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

So I counldnt wait and bought a Tial 50mm BOV today. Hooked it up and car is running like crap. Turns out it has a 9 psi spring in it causing the BOV to be all screwy at idle and i need a 11 psi spring. So I have to turn boost to 0 and disconnect the BOV to drive the car, otherwise it chokes out. I have to wait until Monday to get the spring I need.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #51
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Spec-V update: New BOV with 11 PSI spring installed and everything is running good, had boost turned up a bit high when testing it (around 12 PSI lol), turned it back down to 4 PSI. TheTial 50mm BOV has a loud flutter sound which I like a lot. The car is still awaiting a tune.

Z31 Update: Dropped off a ton of "tune up parts": NEW: water pump, every belt, plugs and wires, cap and rotor, PCV valve, oil and oil filter, thermostat, timing belt tensioner, and a few other things. It should be ready by the weekend, which means I need to get my ass in gear and get it registered and insured so I can drive it a bit before winter.

So, every time I see the Z, I fall more and more in love with it. Don't get me wrong I love my Sentra and will never get rid of it, but I think I may be done with the Sentra for a while (I will still get a new clutch, my new radiator and the tune). I don't think I will be building the head and forging the internals like I originally thought for at least another year maybe a bit longer. All my time, attention and money will be going into the Z. Going to start out simple, and eventually make into something special. It has long been a dream (be it a small one) to own a 86 or 87 Z. It doesn't bother me it isn't turbo, I could fix that easily in years to come, but for now I want to enjoy the car, and enjoy finally being a Z owner.

Z31 plans:
Fix paint/ New paint ( same color maybe just a bit darker)
Fix rust on quarter panels
Rubber coat the bottom
MSA Sway Bar kit
Cusco Front Tower Strut
Tokiko Blue F&R suspension setup W/ Springs
New wheels (15 inch!!! Maybe bigger if I decide to upgrade the brake calipers)
LSD (Either a Z31 Turbo LSD or a OBX Helical LSD)
OEM Exedy clutch kit

I promised myself I wouldn't touch the engine for at least a year, only OEM replacements if needed. As I said, I am taking it easy with this car, because I just want to enjoy it.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #52
Qwibby
Tri-State Addict

Member #17285

My Ride:
2001 Turbo Cavalier

Send a message via AIM to Qwibby
I love the new car man... I am glad you picked up the tial bov, they are epic... ugh love! This weekend is it for me man, keep an eye on my thread for pics and videos!

Sorta flush, hella flush, what the flush?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Qwibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #53
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwibby View Post
I love the new car man... I am glad you picked up the tial bov, they are epic... ugh love! This weekend is it for me man, keep an eye on my thread for pics and videos!
Epic doesn't describe it. The thing is massive and when it opens and flutters, it is kind of scary. The Greddy Type S I had was nice, very loud though. The Tial has got such a better sound in my opinion.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #54
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

Sucks about the BOV! I was actually going to ask you if you'd be interested in trading for a Red tial 50mm.
Honduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #55
Qwibby
Tri-State Addict

Member #17285

My Ride:
2001 Turbo Cavalier

Send a message via AIM to Qwibby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
Epic doesn't describe it. The thing is massive and when it opens and flutters, it is kind of scary. The Greddy Type S I had was nice, very loud though. The Tial has got such a better sound in my opinion.
gotta watch though, that MAY be compressor surge.. mine doesn't shutter my sounds like a loud ass ****ing sneeze...

text me if you want 484-894-4537

Sorta flush, hella flush, what the flush?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Qwibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #56
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honduh View Post
Sucks about the BOV! I was actually going to ask you if you'd be interested in trading for a Red tial 50mm.
Trade what my Greddy Type S? I'll still trade if you really want it, it just needs a new top, mechanically it is fine. Just where the screw goes in to adjust how hard or soft you want it is stripped. A new top of another Type-S or even the top off a Knock Type-S will work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwibby View Post
gotta watch though, that MAY be compressor surge.. mine doesn't shutter my sounds like a loud ass ****ing sneeze...

text me if you want 484-894-4537
Apparently this is how it is suppose to sound. I listened to videos of it and most of them sounded like mine.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #57
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
Trade what my Greddy Type S? I'll still trade if you really want it, it just needs a new top, mechanically it is fine. Just where the screw goes in to adjust how hard or soft you want it is stripped. A new top of another Type-S or even the top off a Knock Type-S will work just fine.

Sorry I didn't read correctly. I thought you were having issues with the tial, and thats why I was confused on what stripped.

I'm looking to trade my red tial 50mm for a purple tial 50mm. But you don't seem like you'd want to trade since you just picked it up.
Honduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #58
zmainiac
Tri-State Addict

Member #13881

My Ride:
1988 nissan 300zx turbo, 1984 300zx Turbo, 2000 bmw 323ci

Bates' 02 Boosted Spec-V & '86 300ZX

That z looks nice and a cool color. Check out z31performance.com and z31parts.com and then you will spend all your money on the z. People have made mid 400 on a na block. Check out nistune for cheap standalone. That manifold that I have will let you keep the na crossmember. Let me know if you have any questions or if you want to stop by my shop in bridesburg sometime.
zmainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #59
zmainiac
Tri-State Addict

Member #13881

My Ride:

The 350z blue might look good. I would go with an aftermarket LSD. Used turbo ones are expensive and usually you have to replace the bearings and discs anyways.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #60
zmainiac
Tri-State Addict

Member #13881

My Ride:

That tic is probably a dry hydraulic lifter. Might go away with time.