TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-21-2019, 03:05 PM   #101
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

So I've been putting off ordering an intake because I wanted an exhaust first (Which I'm making with a friend of mine now so itll be done soon). However, I watched the humble mechs intake video on his golf r and wow the DV sound got crazy loud from an intake. You got any plans for one?
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:29 PM   #102
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolNat View Post
Those look great and what a savings compared to the Racingline. That’s crazy!!!
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I agree...

I can also find their turbo inlet pipe on ali express for $16 shipped.

Turbo inlet pipe for $22 shipped

It's all made in china, just go to the source.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:32 PM   #103
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
So I've been putting off ordering an intake because I wanted an exhaust first (Which I'm making with a friend of mine now so itll be done soon). However, I watched the humble mechs intake video on his golf r and wow the DV sound got crazy loud from an intake. You got any plans for one?
Honestly, I don't...

I'm going to go with the Ali Express turbo inlet and inlet pipe (Racingline's supplier), grab an air filter, remove the snow guard and call it a day. Total cost would be about $115 last time I checked.

If you want some great reading:

http://mygolfmk7.com/2019/09/ultimat...ti-air-intake/

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 10-27-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:06 AM   #104
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
oooo data

I love the approach of just buying from the supplier. Much cheaper. I'll be doing the same if I do an intake on the Miata.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #105
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
oooo data

I love the approach of just buying from the supplier. Much cheaper. I'll be doing the same if I do an intake on the Miata.
Definitely give Ali Express a look. The quality is the same as the big brand names since it's their manufacturer most of the time (obviously if it's a made in the USA part it wouldn't be on there).

I figure $115 all-in to get 97.5% of the airflow of a $600+ intake setup is pretty good.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-30-2019, 03:49 PM   #106
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Maybe I'm dumb but isn't ali express just like ebay?
Old 10-30-2019, 04:23 PM   #107
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Even more direct to the supply than eBay tends to be.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:44 AM   #108
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Even more direct to the supply than eBay tends to be.
this.

its where a lot of ebay suppliers source their wares from

edit: alibaba is where they source from. alibaba is for bulk purchase/direct from manufacturer. aliexpress is for consumer/end user.

Last edited by Big_Jim; 10-31-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Big_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:09 AM   #109
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Ali express is awesome. It’s scary to go on there and see so many products being resold by shops for 3x (or way more) the cost.

Like this carbon fiber intake for example:

Ali express, $13.73: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/329581...i1572534393986

KAMotors, $130 (with added vibrant coupler of course): http://kamotorsperformance.com/bmw-e...0-m50-s50-s52/

Last edited by blue91lx; 10-31-2019 at 11:12 AM.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:37 PM   #110
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Wow, lol. Add a vibrant coupler for another $13 and $100 profit!
Old 10-31-2019, 09:27 PM   #111
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Lol, man that is a nice profit!!

I have never bought anything from aliexpress but they have some interesting stuff.

Also if you want to hear the DV and turbo more remove the noise blanket thing that is under the hood. I installed my intake and was pleased with the extra noise but wanted more. Took that shiz off and at WOT can hear 30-40% more of that turbo greatness I'll forego the radio some days just to hear the car.
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #112
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Aliexpress is neat, for sure. The MKVI Jetta's didn't come with a traction control button, because, just VW things. Anyway, ECS and USP sell traction control button kits for anywhere from 95-120 dollars, roughly. I got the same **** on Aliexpress for 20ish dollars, thanks to a tip from a guy on Vortex.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:07 PM   #113
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Spent $1.84 on the car recently

Before:

$1.84:

After:

Quite possibly the cheapest thing I've ever done to a car outside of putting air in the tires.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-29-2019, 09:17 PM   #114
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Cheap simple mods like that are the best. Add a ton of functionality
Old 11-30-2019, 10:46 PM   #115
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Cheap simple mods like that are the best. Add a ton of functionality
Just bought a new house that has a garage door opener so this tray now holds the remote. Very handy

I could upgrade the rearview mirror assembly to get Homelink but with the remote stashed away, it's really not a huge inconvenience yet to reach for it.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-30-2019, 10:49 PM   #116
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

So for Christmas time, I'd like to do some suspension mods to the R.

Going back to the very beginning, on the fence right now over:

- Eurocode F+R chassis braces (warranty friendly, reduces rattles/creaks, improves turn-in)

or

-Rear Swaybar (Here I'm torn between the 034, H&R or SuperPro)
-Endlinks (SuperPro most likely - no sphericals here)

Thoughts? DD car so ultimate track performance isn't my goal.

P.S. I truly love this car for what it is from the factory.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-30-2019, 11:44 PM   #117
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Why not just do the full SuperPro kit or the 034 kit with their "Dynamic+" endlinks (034 option is pricier for sure)? I just poked around a bit and that seems like a good combo and adjustable if you ever feel like it.

No real opinion on the chassis braces. They have really nice instructions at least lol
Old 12-01-2019, 11:44 AM   #118
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Spent $1.84 on the car recently

Before:

$1.84:

After:

Quite possibly the cheapest thing I've ever done to a car outside of putting air in the tires.
link?
Old 12-01-2019, 06:14 PM   #119
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
link?
I was wrong about the price, sorry man

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...9-bd2fac727e15

it's $1.82 shipped

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #120
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Why not just do the full SuperPro kit or the 034 kit with their "Dynamic+" endlinks (034 option is pricier for sure)? I just poked around a bit and that seems like a good combo and adjustable if you ever feel like it.

No real opinion on the chassis braces. They have really nice instructions at least lol
That's a great idea... shopping around for price has me looking at the SuperPro 24mm setup, comes with endlinks that are DD friendly (non-spherical) and is less than $300

Honestly, I might just say to hell with it and get the RSB+endlinks from my wife for Christmas then get the bracing for myself.

That would tie up the low-hanging fruit for suspension mods on the MQB.

/
/
/
/
/