TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #8361
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Interesting she makes you want to sell the juke and not the Z.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:14 AM   #8362
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
Interesting she makes you want to sell the juke and not the Z.
The Z sits in the garage for 1/2 the year (currently in a million pieces as I try to overhaul the suspension), it isn't my daily, and it doesn't cost much. Juke is my daily.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #8363
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Sold the C7 and picked an Escape Titanium with every option.

I figure in a few years when I’m not paying $2000 a month for daycare I’ll buy a C8.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:25 PM   #8364
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Daycare costs are another racket up there with college text books, college tuition, and medical expenses.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #8365
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

I guess i got lucky, day care by me wasnt that bad. the local rec center was $175 a week for full time.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:06 AM   #8366
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
I guess i got lucky, day care by me wasnt that bad. the local rec center was $175 a week for full time.
That’s a steal.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #8367
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
That’s a steal.
I agree. Her tuition is rough though. it was 3750 a year for pre K and Kindergarten, and its been 4400 each year for first and second grade.

.....can you believe shes in 2nd grade now?
Old 10-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #8368
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
shes in 2nd grade now?

Damn we got old.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #8369
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:

Damn we got old.
lol yeah we did.

how many years ago was the cous cous trip? I was looking at pics of the DoD from that night.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #8370
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

I don't even remember man like 2010?
Old 05-12-2020, 10:49 PM   #8371
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Tuned the Escape in hopes it stops me from taking advantage of GM offering 0% on a leftover C7. It does drive really nice for a family car but I miss the sound of a V8.

Also picked up a Rock River Arms LAR47. Added Magpul MBUS flip sights, foregrip, vertical grip, and topped it off with a Sig Romeo 5 red dot. Can’t wait for the ranges to open up.

Last edited by jpalamar; 05-12-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:11 AM   #8372
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Tuned Escape... Man.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:00 AM   #8373
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Tuned Escape... Man.
I thought I misread that an it meant "traded in" but alas to so much. That sounds like desperation right there.

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #8374
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

first time logging in in a few months, looks like i didnt miss much.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #8375
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

The C7 was my only accident free car... it is a sign

GTO - co-worker wrecked it
Mustang GT - tree fell on it, and my cousin didn’t use the parking brake and it rolled down my driveway hitting a retaining wall
C5Z - I got hit by 3 people and wrecked it once myself
FiST - hit twice in one week with 400 miles on the car
SVT Cobra - hot hot by a guy making a right turn from the left lane
Escape - rear ended at a light
Old 05-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #8376
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
The C7 was my only accident free car... it is a sign

GTO - co-worker wrecked it
Mustang GT - tree fell on it, and my cousin didn’t use the parking brake and it rolled down my driveway hitting a retaining wall
C5Z - I got hit by 3 people and wrecked it once myself
FiST - hit twice in one week with 400 miles on the car
SVT Cobra - hot hot by a guy making a right turn from the left lane
Escape - rear ended at a light
SOunds like you should shelter in place permanently... or buy a c7 again. Ya know for saftey

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 05-14-2020, 07:03 PM   #8377
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Jesus your accident history. Your premiums must be insane
Old 05-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #8378
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Jesus your accident history. Your premiums must be insane
Only 1 was at fault and it was 4 years ago. The rest the other people’s insurance paid out.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #8379
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Howdy old friends... I guess I'm more of a lurker than a poster these days :D.
I'm in Denver currently but have been doing a ton of traveling the past year and half or so -- I work remotely so I bought a small RV a couple years ago and am taking advantage of being geographically independent.

--------

Skimming over some of the travel I've done, if anyone's interested...
Started in FL, headed out to CO then CA for King of the Hammers, then wandered between CA and CO snowboarding a bunch. (Then had to replace the head gasket on the Sprinter ). Drove up to AK for 2 months last summer with my niece, back down to NV for Burning Man, AZ to backpack Havasupai, southern UT, then up to Idaho and Oregon for a while. (Then cracked a piston in the Sprinter and ended up rebuilding the engine ). Then back to AZ/SoCal for Joshua Tree, Slab City, and KOH again, then scored a permit to hike The Wave, then got back to snowboarding in UT and CA, then the mountains shut down because of Covid right when Tahoe got 5' of snow . Hung out in the desert in NV for a while, partially with other nomads and partially solo, then eventually came back to my friend's place in Denver.

Ok, didn't really plan on typing all of that out but hope its of interest to someone. Tons of national and state parks along the way and lots of other amazingness. Its tough sometimes for sure, not having a home base, not having a lot of options when things go sour, but damn is it sweet most of the time. All free camping -- no campgrounds -- which means sometimes I'm in an amazing remote spot with mind blowing views, and other times in in a Walmart parking lot -- its all about balance.
Most of all I'm not just passively passing the time and not being excited about how I spent my days like I had fallen into doing while I was in FL.

--------

Dirtbike Tings
I've been hanging in Denver at a friends place the past month or so just letting all of this quarantine stuff settle a bit, and caught the dirt bike bug after being around friends with them on and off the past 6 months. I just recently picked up a 2007 KTM 450 EXC -- a street legal, yet dirt-oriented bike thats pretty powerful, sort of heavy, and has a bit of a learning curve that I'm still working on. Its been fun to learn something new, fix up a bike that needs some fixing up, and get out and learn to ride. I'm still a novice for sure but I'm progressing -- its fun to progress and also fun to be a little skurred out there on the trails. Lots of great riding options out in CO.

RV Lowdown
Oh... and a little about the RV -- its a 2007 Winnebago View which is 23' long and based on a 2006 Sprinter Chassis. 2.7L inline 5 cylinder turbo diesel that doesn't exactly have an abundance of power but does get quite good fuel mileage. Supposed to be very reliable too, but meh, my experiences have been lukewarm in that department (but hopefully everything is fresh and good now). It has a bunch of lithium battery power and solar on the roof and uses that to power all systems on board so I can be totally off-grid which has been really amazing. An aftermarket 280A alternator also helps charge the batteries when I drive. I have a 12v fridge, 12v lighting, and 12v / diesel powered heater that has taken me into temps as low as -6F overnight without issue (I have also beefed up insulation for extreme temps). I have a 2000w inverter that powers: 110v induction cooktop, 110v toaster and microwave, 110v 2.5 gal hot water heater, and can run the 110v roof AC unit as well, for a few hours max. Shower and toilet on board and as long as I use the water sparingly which is a must in any RV, I can be off grid at least a couple weeks at a clip if I want before needing water / supplies.
Oh... here's a walkthrough of the rig before I started my journey. Its evolved a bit since the trip started but this isn't too far off -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3dLSi6MNuM

Long term plan is to carry the dirt scooter on the back of the RV to have some on and off road local transportation, be able to explore more, and also play on some more technical trails. Keeping the mountain bike too, hope I still ride it because its also fun... similar but also very different.

oh... I post, sometimes, on IG under @thedigitalnomad -- definitely more random stories than posts, but trying to get better at the real post thing since I've taken so many frickin photos of all these places but only shared a handful.

p.s. other car-related things -- I had a 97 Wrangler for most of my time in FL which was so much damn fun. I recently sold it just because it doesn't fit into the whole travel thing, and because it had quite a bit of rust that I wasn't ready to deal with. I'll get another one down the road. Oh, I also had a 19' Key West center console boat when I was in FL which was super fun but also a fair bit of work at times. Sold it to a good friend who always went out with me so hopefully I'll be back on it again at some point.
And yes, I still have the Supra and the WRX. My babies... can't let them go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8694.jpg (46.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6941.jpg (47.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7052.jpg (84.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1110.jpg (70.8 KB, 7 views)

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|

Last edited by TROLL; 05-17-2020 at 08:43 PM.
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:38 AM   #8380
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Thee RV traveling is spectacular and I am jealous. The wife and I have been RV shopping for a little, mainly just to vacation/autocross but I would love to go fully remote for a while and travel around like your doing. I am very jealous.

I may have some questions for you at some point, but would also be interested in some of your more interesting camping spots. We are starting to compile a list.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-