TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
StreetCav
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7408

My Ride:
2004 Cavalier 1SV

Looking for a shop in the Lehigh Valley..

To install my header for me. I went to midas and they told me they dont do that, but yet they installed my cat back. Its for my 2004 Cavalier, I dont go to Allentown to much so not sure where the shops are at. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:51 AM   #2
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Not to sound like a douche, but why don't you do it yourself? It's just a couple gaskets and a few bolts, and if it's the 04 in your avatar, the bolts shouldn't even be that difficult.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
StreetCav
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7408

My Ride:
2004 Cavalier 1SV

I would do it myself but in the instructions it says it needs to be welded on. And I dont have those tools.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Dude, I'm 99% sure nothing needs to be welded! That doesn't even make sense. Unless of course it says you need an o2 bung welded on.

Quote:
But what if they encouraged it AND the stickers turn out to be awesome? They COULD POSSIBLY say something like "I love Mike and would turn gay for his tattooed, bmw driving, new york living ass". just saying.
twastheglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

And I completely agree with got insulin. It's SOOO much easier than you think...honestly. Why bother paying labor for something that you can acomplish yourself while learning along the way?

Quote:
But what if they encouraged it AND the stickers turn out to be awesome? They COULD POSSIBLY say something like "I love Mike and would turn gay for his tattooed, bmw driving, new york living ass". just saying.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
gary
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1638

My Ride:
2004 Hyundai Tiburon

Send a message via AIM to gary
The best exhaust shop in the lehigh valley is Just Rite Service Center
9889 Old 22
Breinigsville, PA 18031
(610) 285-4671
The old guy there is a perfectionist with exhausts.

You can also try Area1320. Ryan does some of the best welds that I have seen but I think he is still on vacation.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

I still want to know what kind of header needs to be welded. What did it say on the instructions exactly?

Quote:
Old 08-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
StreetCav
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7408

My Ride:
2004 Cavalier 1SV

Thats the thing, i didnt think anything needed to be welded either.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by twastheglow View Post
What did it say on the instructions exactly?
Well...?

Quote:
Old 08-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
StreetCav
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7408

My Ride:
2004 Cavalier 1SV

These are my exact directions.

1. Disconnect battery. Raise vehicle using lift or jack stands. Do not go under vehicle using only the service jack. Let vehicle cool.

2. Remove heat shield and 02 sensor at wire connection. Remoce 02 sensor from manifold after manifold is off engine.

3. Unbolt manifold at collector. Support converter and floor stand. Unbolt maifold and remove from top.

4. Cut inlet pipe to converter at weld on the inlet side of the converter. Grind weld and remove inlet pipe from inside converter inlet. Deburr converter inlet.

5. Clean all gasket surfaces and install new gaskets provided in the kit. A supplemental gasket sealer such as ULTRA COOPER is recommended.

6.Remove 02 sensor from factory manifold and install in header. Slip header into place from above and bolt header to engine reusing factory hardware. Torque to 30-35 ft lbs, starting in the center and progressively working to outside.

7. Using bolts, washers, compression springs and nuts, bolt extension pipe to header.

8. Slip extension pipe into converter inlet. Position system to orginal location and TACK WELD extension pipe to converter inlet. Loosen ball pivot bolts and drop converter fro welding access. Weld extension to converter and reconnect ball pivot joint. Tighten spring bolts.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

So is your cat attached to your stock header?

Quote:
Old 08-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #12
StreetCav
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7408

My Ride:
2004 Cavalier 1SV

Its attached to that extension pipe.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

I have never heard of any car having their primary cat attached to the header. Most cars that have a cat in the header have a secondary/primary cat after that. I'm assuming that's not the case with yours huh?

Quote:
Old 08-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
StreetCav
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7408

My Ride:
2004 Cavalier 1SV

Yea it goes my manifold, extension pipe, then it goes into the cat inlet.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #15
StreetCav
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7408

My Ride:
2004 Cavalier 1SV

But I agree with you guys, I dont think anything needs to be welded.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #16
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Take a look under your car. Are there flanges with bolts that you can unbolt each piece individually?

Quote:
Old 08-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #17
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to russiankid
Most of the time the cat is attached to the downpipe. Unless you are changing the downpipe as well, there should be no welding.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #18
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

^ Exactly.

Quote:
Old 08-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #19
StreetCav
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7408

My Ride:
2004 Cavalier 1SV

I think i understand you guys now. Are you talking about just changing the the manifold with the header and just hooking up the downpipe to the header. Thing is it came with this extension.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #20
StreetCav
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7408

My Ride:
2004 Cavalier 1SV

http://www.turbotechracing.com/produ...156_detail.jpg

This is exactly how my header looks. And that is the extension im talking about.