TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-07-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
Supraholic
Tri-State Addict

Member #1791

The NO ETA Supra Build - Project "The BLACK"

Ok guys, here’s my 1989 Supra project. I plan to restore this MKIII to NEW condition.

Background about the car:
I was driving around Bethlehem one day and drove by this very clean supra, which caught my attention immediately. I wasn’t looking for one, as if I needed another one, but I pulled over to check it out anyways. They car looked even cleaner from closer. There were a few scratches and chips on the paint, as well as some dings. The rest of the car was perfect. Interior was MINT condition. Not one imperfection. Called the number on the FOR SALE sign and left a message. When they called back, we agreed to meet that weekend for a test drive. They car has 74K miles on it and still smells like NEW inside. 5spd, non turbo (which didn’t worry me, I have everything I need if I wanted to make it a stock turbo), TEMS suspension, hardtop (A biggie with me), it had all the goodies. I really liked the car standing still, so the next step was to take for a spin. The drive was impressive, the rear struts were bad. The tranny shifted like no supra I’ve ever driven before, very smooth. I found myself in love again. I loved the car and although wasn’t looking for one, I decided to convince my wife anyways. That didn’t take long, so I was off to talk to the owner about $$$$$. She (Yes, a lady, which is not that common for supras) was a very nice person. It so happens she is very much into Supras. She had a MKII which was stolen and from what they told me, it was in MINT condition too. Anyways, we negotiated for a day or so. The next day, I cut $1,400 off the bill and the deal was done. Drove the car home, washed it and parked it in my headed garage (Baby has got to sleep warm) and didn’t do anything with it but sit in it for a couple of days. I was trying to vision what I wanted to do with this car. I certainly didn’t need it, and wasn’t sure why I bought it, but I couldn’t let this deal slide.

Changes:
While I was planning on what to do with the car, I decide to do a small project I wanted to do for a while, a Push Start/Stop engine button setup. This setup took me a while to setup, about a week. I wanted to use not just any button, but the Lexus push button. Due to the complexity of the button, I had to take it apart and figure out what each of the 11 pins did and how I can use them. After long hours of work and many wiring diagrams later, the system was complete. It didn’t work exactly the way I wanted it, but it worked none the less. I still have to rework the diagram to make a few changes. At the state the circuit is in, I don’t need any keys. Once I complete the system, it should work as follows: I will have a pager which controls the alarm system. With this pager I can operate the windows, doors, engine, etc. I will not need any keys. Once the system is disarmed, I will be able to use the push button to start/stop the engine. Here are a few pictures.

P.S – Yeah, that’s the original shift knob. It will be replaced eventually, but I will save this one anyways.

Project:

I will not give out the entire project at once, but I will note some details of the overall outcome of the project. The design idea took me months and months of going back and forth on an option and changing them, but now I now exactly what I want for this particular car.

Overall for this car I would like to see done, first, a paint color change. The car is currently midnight blue, but not for too long. I’m having it painted Jet black. The idea is to make this car as luxurious and sporty as possible without crossing each other over the limit. The car will be painted black ALL over (Engine bay, inside the doors, hatch, everything) New coating underbody, bushings, ALL SS bolts, powder coated sub frames and suspension parts color matched, etc. here are a few details:

Exterior:
Jet Black paint w/ matching molding and a chrome edge. Underbody is also getting stripped and coated.
Kinesis, HRE, or Work wheels
Front lip

Engine:
7M Twin Turbo (aiming only for about 500hp, but unbelievable response, sort of like a motorcycle)
Custom Intake ( Ron R. of course)
Customs exhaust manifolds (Maybe Ron R. not sure)
Custom exhaust and all the goodies.

Interior:
Custom black interior with suede inserts
Recaro bucket seats
Navigation system
Customized dash cluster using high output LED.

More to come. I will post pics later. Possibly tomorrow.

Last edited by Supraholic; 08-30-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Supraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:09 AM   #2
ScubaSteve
Tri-State Addict

Member #2599

My Ride:
1993 s13 coupe Ka-t; 2005 Legacy GT Ltd

I cant see the pics without being a member.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ScubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
Vypurr2
Tri-State Addict

Member #1773

My Ride:
2004 E-Blue SRT-4 / 2006 Steel Grey STI

Send a message via AIM to Vypurr2
Yeah, post the pictures here!
2004 SRT-4

I want sig pictures to be allowed!
(You can choose to turn them on and off at any time if you don't wanna see my sig!)
Vypurr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:24 AM   #4
dickerdieter
Tri-State Addict

Member #1265

My Ride:
94 Acura Integra LS *rip* 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T

Send a message via ICQ to dickerdieter Send a message via AIM to dickerdieter
need pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dickerdieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:31 AM   #5
SUB2.5RS
Tri-State Addict

Member #697

My Ride:
2.5RS , 89 Supra turbo , 93 240SX coupe (SOLD), 96 Legacy

You are my idle. Good Luck.
SUB2.5RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:37 AM   #6
jc8889
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #145

Yea come on!!!
jc8889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:46 AM   #7
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB2.5RS View Post
You are my idle. Good Luck.
Idol lol

Couldn't you have posted the pictures here? I mean sure I've seen the car in person but it's not the same as seeing it in pictures hahaha.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

Send a message via AIM to 97TurboDSM
ah we need pictures!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
Supraholic
Tri-State Addict

Member #1791

Ok guys, sorry about that. I edited the post and put the pics up. I'll post some more pictures of the car being taken apart and all that shortly. I have really high res picture that I have to bring down to a smaller size. For now, here's a photochopped version of what I want the car to look like sort of. As you can see below, I also have a midnight blue as that was one of my color choices while I was trying to decide which way to go. I also photochopped many more pics which I'll try to post along. Some I didn't put too much effort into editing so, you're welcome to laugh.

Thanks for all the comments.

Here's the car all black with Work Equips

Here's the call in midnight blue

Here's the car black with a chrome molding - Sorry, I'm not good turning black into chrome, so it looks a little out of place, but you get the idea. The actual size if the chrome strip is smaller.

Here's another photochop guys, indigo ink blue, chrome molding trim, and HREs 545.

Last edited by Supraholic; 05-13-2007 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
james_ls
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1614

My Ride:
1998 Acura Integra LS//VTEC

Send a message via AIM to james_ls
^^ That looks sick. ^^

I think the blue with the chrome would look REALLY good too...

BUY MY STUFF!

james_ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #11
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

Send a message via AIM to 97TurboDSM
damn that push button start is awesome and i think the black looks incredible. good luck with the project and keep us updated.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #12
Crzyguy972
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #514

My Ride:
2005 Mazda 6

Send a message via AIM to Crzyguy972
beautifiul car. i think the gravity wheels that were psoted in the vendor forum would look sick on ur ride
Old 02-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #13
SupraJDS
Tri-State Addict

Member #2560

how much did you pay for this car?..what is your Exhaust? was it originally blue becuase that blue is deff. photoshoped

EDIT:lol oh my bad that isn't your car.. you want it to look like that.. I was about to say um no it isn't lol

Last edited by SupraJDS; 02-08-2007 at 04:15 PM.
SupraJDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
Supraholic
Tri-State Addict

Member #1791

^^^ Actually, they are ALL photochopped lol.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #15
Supraholic
Tri-State Addict

Member #1791

As promised, here are some pics while tearing the car apart...I apologize in advance as I suck at taking pictures. Most of the time I forget to take pictures that actually matter and end up taking some pictures that...well, suck.

Here's a picture of the car ALMOST in one piece.

These are the original Saw Blades wheels. Not using them, but I'll keep them anyways. There is no curb damage or anything, so they're worth keeping.

Front end Removed.

I'll post some more later as I take them and resize them. For now, here's a pic of my new toy!!!! Just got the trailer this afternoon. 4 wheel disc brakes and leaf style suspension. I'll take it apart summer time and have it repainted.

Here's when I picked it up

Here's when I got home...in one piece!!!

Last edited by Supraholic; 05-13-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:59 PM   #16
SupraJDS
Tri-State Addict

Member #2560

Looks great man I love that blue...TwinTurboing a 7M is going to be very hard/$$ there are only 2 I have seen pictures of, Good Luck that would be awesome.

Josh
Old 02-11-2007, 12:16 AM   #17
Supraholic
Tri-State Addict

Member #1791

^^^ Thanks. Is kinda the point. I want something very rare and At the same time maintain the car's original trim. I would be way cheaper to just drop a 2JZ and go single. I have time though. 2008 is just something for me to aim at, but I'm in no hurry at all. I got quite a few parts already, but since I'm going TT now, probably won't use all of them. I'll post pics later as I have them at home.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #18
Supraholic
Tri-State Addict

Member #1791

Here's an interesting quick photochop I did on my white Supra a while back trying to look for different style wings. I'm not going with this one by the way.

This is a STI wing.

Last edited by Supraholic; 05-13-2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:15 AM   #19
Supraholic
Tri-State Addict

Member #1791

Making progress!!!! The main thing is to get the car completely disassembled and mount the mock-up engine to test the turbo setup and pipes, then get the car painted. I'll have the Front and Rear sub frames powder coated once the car is painted. Here's a little teaser pic. This is somewhat the color combo I want. Silver and purple. I tried the blue also to see how it looks.

This is NO where near a Supra supension by far - this is just a clean image I got from the net so that I can photoshop the colors I wanted

Here are some of the parts for the project. There's more under the table. Some I will not be using for this project any longer, but there's always a next project.

Here's my OEM bumper from TOYOTA - You're better off buying a body kit price wise, but I wanted the OEM look, so here it is.

OEM Hood latch. The one the car has is perfectly fine, but I just wanted a new one so the car looks as new as possible all around.

Here are some more shots while the car is coming apart.

OEM Fenders - Originals

Rear end disassembled

Working on the interior

Front Sub-frame, engine & Tranny out

Fender/Hood lines perfectly aligned

Engine bay almost disassembled

Brake lines (ABS), clutch - All out

All the wires and everything gets labeled and bagged

Underbody after first Pressure wash

Spare motor - for mock up

Rear Sub frame out

I'll post some more pics later on of the underbody coating.

Last edited by Supraholic; 05-13-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:25 AM   #20
twistedlanes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3529

My Ride:
currently out of Commission be back soon

nice alot of work but well worth it

twistedlanes is offline   Reply With Quote