TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #41
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Send a message via AIM to ndubz
Its like this. 240s are light, cheap, Rear wheel Drive, and have a huge parts base. They are probably the best cheap performance car. Civics and Tegs are ok, but they are both FWD, and for performance, FWD is inferior to both RWD and AWD. 240s are compatible with countless numbers of Nissan parts, many of which were never on the 240/silvia platform. Like the hondas, they are light, and therefore dont need a whole lot of power to be extremely quick. And they are just as cheap as the hondas too. Parts are also extremely affordable. A turbo kit for my STi costs from 1100-5000 dollars. For a 240, the price for a turbo and supporting mods start around 300. They are cars that have alot of potential, and dont cost all that much to make fast. And obviously, they are ideal for drifting. Hondas are great, but FWD is not great for high performance. If it was, ud see high end performance cars with it. But there are no FWD Ferraris or porsches. Those high end companies that use unlimited resources to develop fast cars use RWD and more recently, AWD.

Pinnacup7 u drive a GTO.A very good RWD car. u should understand why the 240 is great. It is a matter of price though. Many ppl who get 240s get them because they couldnt afford say a 300ZX or supra at the time they bought their car. I have my STi now, but if i were financially limited, I would have a 240. And chances are, if u were limited, so would u. Because u obviously understand the merits of RWD. The simple fact of it is that for the price, the 240 is among the only legit performance cars u could buy. Maybe a mustang or miata are there too. But unless ur drag racing, the 240 is the best all around performance car in that range.
ndubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #42
89RBS13
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5017

My Ride:
2005 Legacy GT Stage 2 .... '89 S13 w/RB25DET

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubz View Post
A turbo kit for my STi costs from 1100-5000 dollars. For a 240, the price for a turbo and supporting mods start around 300.
well i agree with most of what you said... but that comment is just dumb. i payed $300 for my 3" downpipe. lol unless you're buying SSAC parts, you're not getting much of anything for 300 bucks.
89RBS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #43
GOULET
Tri-State Addict

Member #8212

My Ride:
LS430

Quote:
Its like this. 240s are light, cheap, Rear wheel Drive, and have a huge parts base. They are probably the best cheap performance car. Civics and Tegs are ok, but they are both FWD, and for performance, FWD is inferior to both RWD and AWD. 240s are compatible with countless numbers of Nissan parts, many of which were never on the 240/silvia platform. Like the hondas, they are light, and therefore dont need a whole lot of power to be extremely quick. And they are just as cheap as the hondas too. Parts are also extremely affordable. A turbo kit for my STi costs from 1100-5000 dollars. For a 240, the price for a turbo and supporting mods start around 300. They are cars that have alot of potential, and dont cost all that much to make fast. And obviously, they are ideal for drifting. Hondas are great, but FWD is not great for high performance. If it was, ud see high end performance cars with it. But there are no FWD Ferraris or porsches. Those high end companies that use unlimited resources to develop fast cars use RWD and more recently, AWD.

Pinnacup7 u drive a GTO.A very good RWD car. u should understand why the 240 is great. It is a matter of price though. Many ppl who get 240s get them because they couldnt afford say a 300ZX or supra at the time they bought their car. I have my STi now, but if i were financially limited, I would have a 240. And chances are, if u were limited, so would u. Because u obviously understand the merits of RWD. The simple fact of it is that for the price, the 240 is among the only legit performance cars u could buy. Maybe a mustang or miata are there too. But unless ur drag racing, the 240 is the best all around performance car in that range.

ahahahahahahaahhahaha

once again we are blessed with a response from ndubz
GOULET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #44
240sxDann
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1229

My Ride:
1998 Eclipse GSX

Send a message via AIM to 240sxDann
Plus easily achievable 50/50 weight distribution is awesome.
If you find a woman with zero drama issues or emotional baggage, check for a scar where her penis used to be.
Quote:
i finger myself to latin jazz sometimes
240sxDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:35 PM   #45
89RBS13
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5017

My Ride:

i wonder what my weight dist. is with my 25 70-30 ?? haha
Old 01-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #46
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOULET View Post
ahahahahahahaahhahaha

once again we are blessed with a response from ndubz
Yea, I don't think he knows that his car is boosted stock
Old 01-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #47
omgjacki
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5869

My Ride:
2018 CX-5 GT Premium, 2018 Honda Grom

Send a message via AIM to omgjacki Send a message via Yahoo to omgjacki
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89RBS13 View Post
i bought my S13 for $1000 and drove it home. that was in '04 when you could find them everywhere and they were cheap because hondas were still on the covers of magazines.

the reason for buying an S chassis are simple - cheap, great aftermarket support, and can be made real fast. just like everyone else here has said. in the end though, they're ugly 80's cars. not much else. lol.

i bought my car with a single cam in it, then swapped it to the KA-DE. i bought lots of super nice KA-T stuff and had the parts sitting in my garage to make a reliable daily drivable 425-ish to the wheels. for some reason i got bored with the idea of the KA-T before i even started building the motor. sold my KA stuff and bought my 25. now my motor has the potential to make 400 with not much more than a turbo and fuel.

that's the great thing about S cars, you can put whatever you want in it. it's just a matter of deciding which motor you want to go with. there are so many ways to 400+ hp. match that with easily modified suspension and you've got one badass car for not too much money.

btw,

i can't see that happening somehow i can't imagine you blocking poly and spraying base and clear.
Because I'm a girl? I really hope that's not where you're going with this. I took auto mech/auto body in high school for 3 years with every intention of going to tech school afterwards. I changed my mind mecause I realized I'd rather leave it as a hobby and do something the complete opposite. So why wouldn't I do it? Please, humor me.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #48
240sxDann
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1229

My Ride:
1998 Eclipse GSX

Send a message via AIM to 240sxDann
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgjacki View Post
Because I'm a girl? I really hope that's not where you're going with this. I took auto mech/auto body in high school for 3 years with every intention of going to tech school afterwards. I changed my mind mecause I realized I'd rather leave it as a hobby and do something the complete opposite. So why wouldn't I do it? Please, humor me.
OMG REALLI?! Me to! DESTINY! <3 hahahahaha
If you find a woman with zero drama issues or emotional baggage, check for a scar where her penis used to be.
Quote:
i finger myself to latin jazz sometimes
240sxDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #49
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Jacki, relax. *hug*
Old 01-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #50
Goddabob
Tri-State Addict

Member #5799

I bought mine to have an easy to work on rwd chassis, hence project car. I personally like the body styles, esp the s13 coupes.
I'd like to think I didnt jump on the bandwagon since I had 2 hatches 4 years ago and knew it was only a matter of time before I got another.
Its cool to see the 240sx get the attention it deserves.

My bet is the GTO will be in the same boat as the 240sx in 10 to 15 years. When the cars are neglected and used and cost a fraction of a new car.
Stupid people will get their hand on them, they wont all be pretty looking anymore. I cant wait to see the **** people do to the GTO's
Goddabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #51
89RBS13
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5017

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgjacki View Post
i said i can't imagine you blocking poly and spraying. i didn't say a girl.

i don't know you personally, just from reading posts here on TST... maybe it was a stupid comment. i just said it because what i've read leads me to believe you're not exactly the "hands on" type. not because you're incapable or 'girly', it just that it seems you're not one to do your own work. i dunno, again it was just a stupid comment.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #52
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Im well aware of my own car's situation. And my friend just got an SR20 turbo for 300 dollars. So I guess that makes u both wrong. Either way, the 240 is the best "cheap" performance car out there.

And Goulet, if u cant find parts that cheap, then maybe ur not as clever as some people are, because that **** is out there. U just gotta know where to look.

Last edited by ndubz; 01-18-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #53
Goddabob
Tri-State Addict

Member #5799

300 for just the turbo? what about dp, manifold, intercooler, piping?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #54
FazdaGt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3161

My Ride:
compensates for my size.

Send a message via AIM to FazdaGt
Quote:
Im well aware of my own car's situation. And my friend just got an SR20 turbo for 300 dollars. So I guess that makes u both wrong. Either way, the 240 is the best "cheap" performance car out there.
your logic is terrible.

Quote:
"Hi, Italy? I broke one of your Lambos, I can has new oil pan and bumper?"
FazdaGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #55
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:

And Goulet, if u cant find parts that cheap, then maybe ur not as clever as some people are, because that **** is out there. U just gotta know where to look.
Not saying it is, not saying it's not, but do you have any proof for that or do you just like digging your hole deeper with every post?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #56
89RBS13
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5017

My Ride:

Quote:
you mean he got a used stock SR T25 for $300? that's understandable (although still overpriced). my FPR was $200. does that mean that RB swaps start at $200?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #57
Goddabob
Tri-State Addict

Member #5799

first gen miata's would have my vote for best CHEAP performance car. For autocross. I'm amost certain that has been proven.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #58
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanNeon98 View Post
Not saying it is, not saying it's not, but do you have any proof for that or do you just like digging your hole deeper with every post?
im speaking mostly from opinion, as is everyone else here. But, most cars with performance potential in that range are FWD. the 240 is one of only afew that is RWD. Making is a better performance car than the FWD cars. And of the RWD cars, I believe that it is the best overall car. It has huge power potential via forced induction. Making it more economical than the Mustang. and it has more space than a miata (no offense alex). So as an overall streetable performance car in that price range it is the best.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #59
omgjacki
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5869

My Ride:
2018 CX-5 GT Premium, 2018 Honda Grom

Send a message via AIM to omgjacki Send a message via Yahoo to omgjacki
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89RBS13 View Post
i said i can't imagine you blocking poly and spraying. i didn't say a girl.

i don't know you personally, just from reading posts here on TST... maybe it was a stupid comment. i just said it because what i've read leads me to believe you're not exactly the "hands on" type. not because you're incapable or 'girly', it just that it seems you're not one to do your own work. i dunno, again it was just a stupid comment.
I'm assuming you're talking about Reese doing my engine swap. I would have loved to do it myself but I couln't. I don't have a single tool to work on my car. What was I supposed to do? I was offered help, by my boyfriend, and I accepted it.

You're right, you don't know me. Since when does the internet define someone? Don't make false judgement about someone you know absolutely nothing about.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #60
FazdaGt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3161

My Ride:
compensates for my size.

Send a message via AIM to FazdaGt
ndubz have you ever even owned a 240?

jacki it'll be fine, take a deeeeep breath

Quote:
"Hi, Italy? I broke one of your Lambos, I can has new oil pan and bumper?"
FazdaGt is offline   Reply With Quote