TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 12-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Send a message via AIM to ndubz
My STi. Updated

Ok. so i got it in '06 and it had a turbo XS Turboback Exhaust already, aswell as a rear sway bar. Then over the last 2 or so years, i have done a perrin short ram intake, perrin headers, perrin uppipe, Cobb AP V2 (went stage 2 until i got the headers), got a custom Cobb tune at Precision Tuning this summer running 18psi and 305awhp and 330awtorque, I have ordered a Perrin front sway bar and a perrin strut tower brace aswell as an ACT performance street clutch. they will be installed soon while im on vacation. I also bought a front lip from Davesti, it looks great.

Future plans for the car are as follows. This summer, im thinkin to get a fuel pump, injectors, and an intake manifold, and a perrin top mount IC, and of course another tune. then, later i will do an aftermarket turbo along with w/e else it needs. Im lookin to max out at like between 400-420awhp or so. Because i dont want to have to do internals. and im not goin with a front mount IC because, its too much $$$ and hassle, id loose much of my throttle response, the STi is designed to have a top mount IC, and for the power im lookin to make, i dont realy need a front mount. As far as suspension goes, i'll probly do coilovers either before or after the turbo. idk exactly when. Im also lookin to get my rims powdercoated in gunmetal at LPC sometime this year.

Most of the above is obsolete, but im too lazy to change it all. Just read on to see. thanks

Last edited by ndubz; 01-01-2010 at 08:30 PM.
ndubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
IntegrasAreBest
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2474

I am 100% positive I've seen your car before in Lambertville. Pics!
IntegrasAreBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
jdm free
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1481

My Ride:
6spd Civic

Send a message via AIM to jdm free
a journal with out pics? whaaatt?
jdm free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #4
CarbonIS
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #301

Send a message via AIM to CarbonIS
you won't lose any throttle response with a front mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
I hear ya, but as the saying goes,"You can live in your car, but you can't [dyno] your house."
Quote:
Women suck balls on occasion, right?
I never had a woman suck on my back...so...
CarbonIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
Kir Diesel
Tri-State Addict

Member #9286

My Ride:
Subaru WRX STi

Send a message via AIM to Kir Diesel
Gook luck with 400WHP without a front mount and pistons? LOL

I give ur motor 30K max before it blows up.... IMO i wouldnt do aftermarket turbo without Forged Pistons... ive had money to go big turbo forever and i havent done it for this reason... again IMO ive done alot of research on this and especially if ur car is a daily it isnt a good idea to do big turbo without the pistons.

Just have some money handy for an engine build.
JDM Ballers Club #3

Quote:
Kir, it looks like some black abercrombie model just stole your car!
Kir Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
jdm free
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1481

My Ride:
6spd Civic

Send a message via AIM to jdm free
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonIS View Post
he'll lose boost without a tune tho
jdm free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
CarbonIS
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #301

well i wouldn't do any upgrade to a subaru without getting a tune, so i figured it was assumed that he'd be getting a tune.

Quote:
I hear ya, but as the saying goes,"You can live in your car, but you can't [dyno] your house."
Quote:
Old 12-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #8
fballman1987
Tri-State Addict

Member #2928

My Ride:
2007 WRX STi

Send a message via AIM to fballman1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir Diesel View Post
Gook luck with 400WHP without a front mount and pistons? LOL

I give ur motor 30K max before it blows up.... IMO i wouldnt do aftermarket turbo without Forged Pistons... ive had money to go big turbo forever and i havent done it for this reason... again IMO ive done alot of research on this and especially if ur car is a daily it isnt a good idea to do big turbo without the pistons.

Just have some money handy for an engine build.
you dont need different pistons to go to a bigger turbo. its all in the tunes. keep the car cool, get a good tune and not try to run omg30+psi should be fine. the intercooler thing, well, eh, its a moot point really.
fballman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:29 PM   #9
Stillen GLE
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6774

My Ride:
2003 Nissan Maxima GLE

Send a message via AIM to Stillen GLE
THE OP obviously doesn't know anything about his car or how to go about getting 400 hp. try the iwsti.com forums they will help alot.

Stillen GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:
BMW E60 M5 V10 6 Speed --- Ducati Monster 696

Quote:
x2... just get a brand name one with a good efficency rating. ebay ones tend to have a ****load of pressure drop
Vr-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:10 AM   #11
JDMTyler3326
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9917

My Ride:
^

Send a message via AIM to JDMTyler3326
What is this? Where are the pics mans
JDMTyler3326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:12 AM   #12
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:
BMW E60 M5 V10 6 Speed --- Ducati Monster 696

im sure it looks like every other sti on the road man so use your imagination.
Vr-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:13 AM   #13
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

I have done a crapload of research on this. I am not tryin to get a huge turbo. probly just a 2g or 2.5g. something that will hold the boost through redline. Cuz with the stock turbo it goes up to 18psi at about 5500-6000rpm and then it drops off to like the 16s or something. Im not looking for HUGE boost, i want to fun it on 93 octane and without Meth. so i'll have it tuned to like 20 or 21 psi or so. also, Idk if when all is said and done, it will make 400+awhp, that is just where im lookin to max out with this car. and also, ive talked to many sti ppl about this, on both iwsti and nasioc and elsewhere. they all said that, with proper tuning, the limit between safe and unsafe for stock internals is somewhere between like 420awhp and 450awhp. Believe me, id never do mods like this without alot of research. and as far as the IC goes, well i see it like this. the throttle response is only a small reason, its mostly cuz a FMIC is a hassle, and is mad expensive. and, think about the physics of it. The car is designed for a top mount IC. the hood scoop sucks in all that air. And ya, i know the whole thing with the heat from the engine comming up into the IC. And yes at on a dyno or at low speed this hold water, but at 60+mph the force of the air coming in through the hood scoop far out weighs the force of the hot air rising up. So ya, my dyno whp will be under rated (more than usual), but, thats good if u think about it. Cuz then I can race some idiot who thinks hes runnin bit more power than me, and i can make some money proving that guy wrong. I just cant see it making enough of a difference to spend an extra grand. plus, i already have a Perrin Top mount lined up. So i see no real reason to go front mount for the power im looking to make. And everything i do to my car that adds HP, I get it tuned right away, Im studying to become an automotive engineer, I know how cars work. Especially now that im gonna have Precision do most of my work, they can istal, nd then jus tune it right there no problem.

And ya that probly was me in new hope/ Lambertville, i go there alot with my friends. Pics will be on the way, im at college till xmas break, and many pics arent on this computer. i'll post what is tho.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:18 AM   #14
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Excuse the dirtiness, i just wanted some pics of it after i put the lip on, i didnt have time to wash it. And ya i know these pics are in my profile, like i said i aint got much on this computer. but i figured id post them anyway.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:34 AM   #15
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Your argument against a FMIC is rediculous. Look at it this way, itsy bitsy high-preesure zone from the hood scoop, vs. huge high pressure zone from the space provided in your bumper. Your throttle response would be nil, if not improved, and routing piping isn't that hard, nor expensive; there's really no reason to not get one, in fact, you're only limiting yourself by not getting one. Get a decent Core and than get a piping kit off of eBay. I got my whole kit, plus mad extra piping for less than $100 shipped. For wanting to be an engineer, you sure have a long way to go.

OT, car is clean and the lip looks great.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #16
CarbonIS
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #301

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubz View Post
I have done a crapload of research on this. I am not tryin to get a huge turbo. probly just a 2g or 2.5g. something that will hold the boost through redline. Cuz with the stock turbo it goes up to 18psi at about 5500-6000rpm and then it drops off to like the 16s or something. Im not looking for HUGE boost, i want to fun it on 93 octane and without Meth. so i'll have it tuned to like 20 or 21 psi or so. also, Idk if when all is said and done, it will make 400+awhp, that is just where im lookin to max out with this car. and also, ive talked to many sti ppl about this, on both iwsti and nasioc and elsewhere. they all said that, with proper tuning, the limit between safe and unsafe for stock internals is somewhere between like 420awhp and 450awhp. Believe me, id never do mods like this without alot of research. and as far as the IC goes, well i see it like this. the throttle response is only a small reason, its mostly cuz a FMIC is a hassle, and is mad expensive. and, think about the physics of it. The car is designed for a top mount IC. the hood scoop sucks in all that air. And ya, i know the whole thing with the heat from the engine comming up into the IC. And yes at on a dyno or at low speed this hold water, but at 60+mph the force of the air coming in through the hood scoop far out weighs the force of the hot air rising up. So ya, my dyno whp will be under rated (more than usual), but, thats good if u think about it. Cuz then I can race some idiot who thinks hes runnin bit more power than me, and i can make some money proving that guy wrong. I just cant see it making enough of a difference to spend an extra grand. plus, i already have a Perrin Top mount lined up. So i see no real reason to go front mount for the power im looking to make. And everything i do to my car that adds HP, I get it tuned right away, Im studying to become an automotive engineer, I know how cars work. Especially now that im gonna have Precision do most of my work, they can istal, nd then jus tune it right there no problem.

And ya that probly was me in new hope/ Lambertville, i go there alot with my friends. Pics will be on the way, im at college till xmas break, and many pics arent on this computer. i'll post what is tho.
I'm sorry bro but that whole post is ridiculous. First of all, wtf is a 2g or 2.5g turbo? You mean 20g? And 18 psi at 5500-6000 rpms?
are you nuts? the stock tune of an sti makes full boost around 3200 rpms. Hell, GT35R's hit full boost at 4200 rpms. If your car is
hitting full boost at 5500-6000 rpms, there is something seriously wrong. I'd like to know where you've done your research b/c you
have been heavily misinformed. And as for an FMIC being a hassle, what makes it a hassle? And your argument for the heatsoak is
retarded. An intercooler in the front of the car catching ALL of the wind with NO rising engine heat will obviously be more effective
than a smaller intercooler under the hood of the car going 60mph.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #17
Stillen GLE
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6774

My Ride:
2003 Nissan Maxima GLE

Send a message via AIM to Stillen GLE
My head spins every time i come in here. did you look at that site i told you ndubz, it would really benefit you.

Last edited by Stillen GLE; 12-07-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Stillen GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #18
JDMTyler3326
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9917

My Ride:
^

Send a message via AIM to JDMTyler3326
Man that lip makes the car look so much better man.Nice ride!!!
JDMTyler3326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #19
240_fun
Tri-State Addict

Member #6320

My Ride:
BMW 320i, BMW 315 Euro

Send a message via AIM to 240_fun
Quote:
I'm sorry bro but that whole post is ridiculous. First of all, wtf is a 2g or 2.5g turbo? You mean 20g? And 18 psi at 5500-6000 rpms?
are you nuts? the stock tune of an sti makes full boost around 3200 rpms. Hell, GT35R's hit full boost at 4200 rpms. If your car is
hitting full boost at 5500-6000 rpms, there is something seriously wrong. I'd like to know where you've done your research b/c you
have been heavily misinformed. And as for an FMIC being a hassle, what makes it a hassle? And your argument for the heatsoak is
retarded. An intercooler in the front of the car catching ALL of the wind with NO rising engine heat will obviously be more effective
than a smaller intercooler under the hood of the car going 60mph.
his boost hits 18 around 5k
I would know better than him cuz hes the one driving and im the one holding the cobb
but its in the 17s the rest of the time from 3400ishh so its not a huge difference.
The top mount vs front mount is trivial because both work, both work efficently, however the top mount requires much less moddification and will work just fine for the reasonable goals nduzs has in mind. Not saying the front mount isnt better just not nessisary for his goals. No sense in even losing a few psi to all that piping. How is his argument for heatsoak retarded?
You did not even debate his point only proved yours.
easyyyy bill.
Lets not start this bickering all over again. If ur gonna teach the kid some stuff you know be nice. He is learning and doing research and Im sure would love your input and personal insite, but in a bit of a nicer manner.
lets alll smileeeee and be friendssssss

Last edited by 240_fun; 12-07-2008 at 12:09 PM.
240_fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #20
RayArroyo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #205

My Ride:
GTR/RSTI/MDX Sport

Send a message via AIM to RayArroyo
I have done a crapload of research on this. I am not tryin to get a huge turbo. probly just a 2g or 2.5g. something that will hold the boost through redline. Cuz with the stock turbo it goes up to 18psi at about 5500-6000rpm and then it drops off to like the 16s or something.

For what you are looking for a 20g would be my turbo of choice. I dont know what a 2g or 2.5g is.

Im not looking for HUGE boost, i want to fun it on 93 octane and without Meth. so i'll have it tuned to like 20 or 21 psi or so. also, Idk if when all is said and done, it will make 400+awhp, that is just where im lookin to max out with this car. and also, ive talked to many sti ppl about this, on both iwsti and nasioc and elsewhere. they all said that, with proper tuning, the limit between safe and unsafe for stock internals is somewhere between like 420awhp and 450awhp. Believe me, id never do mods like this without alot of research.

i have plenty of customers running 400-420 whp range and no issues. i have customers that have been running those power levels for over 3 years and no issue what so ever. keep in mind though this does not mean that they are taking life away from their engine, anytime you increase power you are reducing the life of the engine.

and as far as the IC goes, well i see it like this. the throttle response is only a small reason, its mostly cuz a FMIC is a hassle, and is mad expensive. and, think about the physics of it. The car is designed for a top mount IC. the hood scoop sucks in all that air. And ya, i know the whole thing with the heat from the engine comming up into the IC. And yes at on a dyno or at low speed this hold water, but at 60+mph the force of the air coming in through the hood scoop far out weighs the force of the hot air rising up. So ya, my dyno whp will be under rated (more than usual), but, thats good if u think about it. Cuz then I can race some idiot who thinks hes runnin bit more power than me, and i can make some money proving that guy wrong. I just cant see it making enough of a difference to spend an extra grand. plus, i already have a Perrin Top mount lined up. So i see no real reason to go front mount for the power im looking to make.

A fmic has no affect on throttle response , it may be a little laggier on the stock turbo , but for the most part it can be tuned out. On a 20g that's properly tune you will not notice any lag from the fmic. The only negative affect is that due to the maf being on the intake , which may give you a little rich condition right before peak boost but that's something that can be tuned out. A fmic also provides larger volume than a tmic which allow the air temps to be greatly reduced. while you are correct that a tmic gets air when the vehicle is moving, keep in mind that depending on what type of racing you do, you will have occasions where the car will be running on stand still causing a heat soak situation and on your initial part of that run the air temps maybe a little hotter which will rob power and may cause some fkc. As to your on a dyno and lower speeds it holds water, stis use air to air intercoolers and does not work with water.