TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Bubba Ho-Tep
Tri-State Addict

Member #558

My Ride:
2014 Corvette Stingray

Expensive Mistake- Traded the Audi TT for a BMW 335xi

I picked up a 2012 Audi TT almost 2 weeks ago. Loved the way it looks and enjoyed the beautiful looks inside and out. However after calling around to three tuning companies apparently after 2010 the encryption on the ECU's have changed and NO ONE has any tunes for it.

The second bummer is I never got a chance to take it on a longer drive. When I did I found the lack of any semblance of a center consol/arm rest uncomfortable, and the agressive non-adjustable bolstering on the seat bottoms brutally uncomfortable on my legs after extended drives (PS there are the same exact seats they use in the R8).

So I bit the bullet and decided to trade it and eat the loss. I spent two days test driving various cars ranging from cars at Audi and BMW (I knew I wanted a more upscale sports car coming from the 09 Corvette). After driving the Audi S5, Audi S4, BMW M3, and BMW 335xi. I narrowed it down to the BMWs.

The M3 was an 08 model with low mile (16k) and mint inside and out. It drove well and pulled pretty hard in the upper rpms- nothing mind blowing though (as I'm used to the way the Vette pulled). The 335xi was brand new and had a lot more electronic/technology goodies and it, itself pulled pretty hard. The M3 definitely felt faster but not like a night and day difference vs the 335 like I expected.

I was really torn at this point between the two. The M3 would have been $120 more a month which I was reluctantly willing to do. But I really liked the X-drive on the 335 as one of the reasons I traded the Vette was because I never drove it. I avoided the rain, and never drove in snow. I let my insurance company be the tie breaker between the two. I called them got quotes on both and the 335 actually dropped my preimum $75 for the year- the M3, on the other hand, raised it over $400. I decided to be more practical and go with the 335xi.

I know the M3 is a MUCH better track car but I never track my cars. Maybe a trip to Atco once in a blue moon. Plus after some research I've found that the 335 chipped is faster than the M3 in the straights. I have to do some more research to see how the x-drive system works and how much it will slow me down outside of a dig, however I do feel like I made the right decision. It was really difficult to walk away from the M3 but in the end after the 335 is chipped, and sitting on coilovers it'll make the decision even easier to live with.

God bless a car with available aftermarket. The Audi would have been a drag.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Well... I got nothing.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Bubba Ho-Tep
Tri-State Addict

Member #558

My Ride:
2014 Corvette Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
Well... I got nothing.
...and I couldn't be happier. ;)
Old 08-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
Zdrummer15
Tri-State Addict

Member #17046

My Ride:
1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

That's a bummer that the Audi didn't work out and you had to take a loss. I hope you have better luck with the Beemer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Boost creep is your turbo's way of calling you a little bitch for not running enough boost."
Zdrummer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
jen.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7345

My Ride:
'07 si coupe!

Send a message via AIM to jen.
Well, at least you're happy with how it all turned out. Are there tunes coming out for post 2010 Audis at some point? Or did you just not feel like waiting? Also, post pics of the new car!
jen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Bubba Ho-Tep
Tri-State Addict

Member #558

My Ride:
2014 Corvette Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdrummer15 View Post
That's a bummer that the Audi didn't work out and you had to take a loss. I hope you have better luck with the Beemer.
Thank you. It's immeasurably more comfortable to drive- has, probably, the best stock stereo I've ever heard, and is a Turbo 6 with a healthy aftermarket. I'm quite excited about it, I just wish I had given the BMW dealership a visit before pulling my hair trigger on the other purchase. I'm bad when it comes to cars- but that goes without saying.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
konawel
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #18036

My Ride:
all kinds of nonsense

335xi>tt

good choice my friend.
konawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
Bubba Ho-Tep
Tri-State Addict

Member #558

My Ride:
2014 Corvette Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen. View Post
Well, at least you're happy with how it all turned out. Are there tunes coming out for post 2010 Audis at some point? Or did you just not feel like waiting? Also, post pics of the new car!
I'd have to believe so, however if the ECU encryption changed in 2010 cars and now the 2012 cars are out and STILL no new tunes I'm not holding my breath.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
Whitekryptonit3
Tri-State Addict

Member #7046

My Ride:
MK5 .:R32 #832

Send a message via AIM to Whitekryptonit3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ho-Tep View Post
I picked up a 2012 Audi TT almost 2 weeks ago. Loved the way it looks and enjoyed the beautiful looks inside and out. However after calling around to three tuning companies apparently after 2010 the encryption on the ECU's have changed and NO ONE has any tunes for it.

The second bummer is I never got a chance to take it on a longer drive. When I did I found the lack of any semblance of a center consol/arm rest uncomfortable, and the agressive non-adjustable bolstering on the seat bottoms brutally uncomfortable on my legs after extended drives (PS there are the same exact seats they use in the R8).

So I bit the bullet and decided to trade it and eat the loss. I spent two days test driving various cars ranging from cars at Audi and BMW (I knew I wanted a more upscale sports car coming from the 09 Corvette). After driving the Audi S5, Audi S4, BMW M3, and BMW 335xi. I narrowed it down to the BMWs.

The M3 was an 08 model with low mile (16k) and mint inside and out. It drove well and pulled pretty hard in the upper rpms- nothing mind blowing though (as I'm used to the way the Vette pulled). The 335xi was brand new and had a lot more electronic/technology goodies and it, itself pulled pretty hard. The M3 definitely felt faster but not like a night and day difference vs the 335 like I expected.

I was really torn at this point between the two. The M3 would have been $120 more a month which I was reluctantly willing to do. But I really liked the X-drive on the 335 as one of the reasons I traded the Vette was because I never drove it. I avoided the rain, and never drove in snow. I let my insurance company be the tie breaker between the two. I called them got quotes on both and the 335 actually dropped my preimum $75 for the year- the M3, on the other hand, raised it over $400. I decided to be more practical and go with the 335xi.

I know the M3 is a MUCH better track car but I never track my cars. Maybe a trip to Atco once in a blue moon. Plus after some research I've found that the 335 chipped is faster than the M3 in the straights. I have to do some more research to see how the x-drive system works and how much it will slow me down outside of a dig, however I do feel like I made the right decision. It was really difficult to walk away from the M3 but in the end after the 335 is chipped, and sitting on coilovers it'll make the decision even easier to live with.

God bless a car with available aftermarket. The Audi would have been a drag.

So how much negative equity is currently added ontop of your new loan?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Quote:
Agree. If you aren't here legally, don't think multiplying will save you. You're all swimming back, newborn and all.
Truth.
Whitekryptonit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
disturbedfan121
Tri-State Addict

Member #3604

My Ride:
2010 GG EVO X

6spd manual or smg?

'03 MSP-7psi - SOLD.......'93 Sc300 5spd - SOLD
'98 BMW Z3 - SOLD.......'92 miata turbo -Traded
'10 Evo X- Traded in for .....'14 Jetta TDI 6spd man.......
'99 miata NB shell Project....'96 Impreza w/v.1 STi swap
disturbedfan121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
Elliott18t
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9456

My Ride:
03 GTI w/ F4h-T 250-260hp goal

Send a message via AIM to Elliott18t
sucks dude, not even a custom tune?

TST's Dub Cult
Elliott18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
335xi is an awesome choice. A friend of mine has a modded automatic one and the thing rolls out especially from a dig. I think there good looking cars with a few small exterior mods as well. I look forward to your progress with it.

Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
c7scayman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9644

You couldn't just wait a year for aftermaket to catch up.
13 MK6 GTI 2020 - Current
c7scayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
Bubba Ho-Tep
Tri-State Addict

Member #558

My Ride:
2014 Corvette Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitekryptonit3 View Post
So how much negative equity is currently added ontop of your new loan?
None. I had equity with the original Vette trade, however it ate up 90% of the positive equity I floated into the Audi.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
Bubba Ho-Tep
Tri-State Addict

Member #558

My Ride:
2014 Corvette Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by konawel View Post
335xi>tt

good choice my friend.
Thank you- I agree. The only thing the TT had going for it was looks.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #16
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Sucks that there's no window to return a car if something happens with it in owning it for the first week or two.
No need to justify the 335xi purchase, its a sweet machine with a ton of aftermarket. They're quick, and look great.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #17
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Man someone has a good job! congrats on the upgrade.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #18
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

If it means anything I would much rather have the 335. They can be quite fast with a few mods and cant beat AWD for a DD.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #19
Bubba Ho-Tep
Tri-State Addict

Member #558

My Ride:
2014 Corvette Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedfan121 View Post
6spd manual or smg?
Auto with steering paddles. Though I don't think this is the "real" Dual Clutch transmission. I believe the 7spd Auto is the one that has it. Either way I was fooled into thinking it was as it shifts quite fast with the paddles. No noticeable lag.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #20
Bubba Ho-Tep
Tri-State Addict

Member #558

My Ride:
2014 Corvette Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott18t View Post
sucks dude, not even a custom tune?
Yeah- if they can't crack the ECU then a local/smaller shop won't be able to in order to facilitate something custom.