TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #41
Willdue
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2000

My Ride:
To many VW's

Send a message via AIM to Willdue
Strip the paint, spray it with water/lemon water, and let it sit outside.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #42
BlueMSProtege
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14477

My Ride:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

So they intentionally take off good paint, and let the metal rust thereby compromising the integrity of the body panels. So that when they rust all the way through they have to pay for new body panels. Then if they ever hope to sell it they have to either replace the body panel and/or paint them which costs even more money. So yeah, that seems like a great idea. This makes absolutely no goddamn sense. I dont buy the argument that it is peoples personal preference, rat rods;sure. But most people pay good money to get rid of rust for a reason; it is not good to have on a car because it compromises the integrity of the metal. I'd love to see how these moron's cars hold up in an accident. Epic fail for all these people.
BlueMSProtege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #43
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Send a message via AIM to TGilb2007 Send a message via MSN to TGilb2007 Send a message via Yahoo to TGilb2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMSProtege View Post
So they intentionally take off good paint, and let the metal rust thereby compromising the integrity of the body panels. So that when they rust all the way through they have to pay for new body panels. Then if they ever hope to sell it they have to either replace the body panel and/or paint them which costs even more money. So yeah, that seems like a great idea. This makes absolutely no goddamn sense. I dont buy the argument that it is peoples personal preference, rat rods;sure. But most people pay good money to get rid of rust for a reason; it is not good to have on a car because it compromises the integrity of the metal. I'd love to see how these moron's cars hold up in an accident. Epic fail for all these people.

This doesn't go for all of the rusted cars, but many of the ones that I have seen, critical components to the body are not rusted. Hoods, fenders, and trunklids do not alter the structural integrity of the car at all.

And, also, many of the cars that do get a deeper rust treatment are older cars (though I have seen a couple newer ones).

I agree its a stupid fad, but it will take a LONG time for the metals to become compromised from the intentional rusting.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #44
BlueMSProtege
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14477

My Ride:

^but if you use lemon juice it will speed up the process, and a rusted hood could screw up the integrity as a hood is part of the crumple zone of the front end that takes some impact
Old 11-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #45
wonner
Tri-State Addict

Member #519

My Ride:
'05 Toyota Corolla LE, '08 Pontiac G6 GT

Send a message via AIM to wonner Send a message via MSN to wonner
Euro rice.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #46
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

Quote:
^but if you use lemon juice it will speed up the process, and a rusted hood could screw up the integrity as a hood is part of the crumple zone of the front end that takes some impact
rusting the hood, like is done to all these cars will not cause any notable loss in integrity during a crash. The crumple zone mostly consists of the frame rails/bumper support soaking up impact. A hood is only sheet metal, that will not do much to absorb the impact of a moving car. I fkn love it. Im considering doing this to my car.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #47
Willdue
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2000

My Ride:
To many VW's

Send a message via AIM to Willdue
Quote:
Its just surface rust.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #48
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to russiankid
Quote:
For that to happen, it would take years.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:48 AM   #49
BlueMSProtege
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14477

My Ride:

regardless, please explain why you would intentionally put surface rust on your car? There are some things people do to cars that dont make sense but it doesnt really matter (stick on vents, stick on hood scoops, Super tall aluminum wings on fwd cars, stretched tires, cut springs, ridiculous graphics, neon underglow kits, fake nitrous purge kits etc.) but I cannot understand how making parts of your car rust covered can be justified as "looking good" compared to a rat rod that is intended to look thrown together and the whole car usually has rust on it. There is nothing in the tradition or the innovation of car modification that indicates purposefully rusting parts of your car has any benefit or aesthetically pleasing appeal.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:58 AM   #50
TurboTagTeam
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #275

My Ride:
constantly changes

The look comes from Rat Rods. The gay euro faukhawk fags did NOT come up with it...they just made it gay. The whole mentality of making your car look like a pile of **** comes from Rat Rods. Where as rat rods are COOL. Rusted VW's are NOT.

TurboTagTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:01 AM   #51
sinner
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7761

My Ride:
Built forged rotated sti

Quote:
regardless, please explain why you would intentionally put surface rust on your car? There are some things people do to cars that dont make sense but it doesnt really matter (stick on vents, stick on hood scoops, Super tall aluminum wings on fwd cars, stretched tires, cut springs, ridiculous graphics, neon underglow kits, fake nitrous purge kits etc.) but I cannot understand how making parts of your car rust covered can be justified as "looking good" compared to a rat rod that is intended to look thrown together and the whole car usually has rust on it. There is nothing in the tradition or the innovation of car modification that indicates purposefully rusting parts of your car has any benefit or aesthetically pleasing appeal.

What he said
sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #52
nrgotenk
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2207

My Ride:
E36 M3

Stretched tires and low offset wheels, slammed cars, and rust are not new fads...

Anything out of mainstream will get you sh!tstormed on TST...
God forbid your car is lower then stock height and you have you have a slight stretch on your tire, you just ruined a perfectly good looking and handling car! Since 80% of regular posters on here do track events every weekend, and drive through rough NYC streets with speed bumps every other block.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #53
sean3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5757

My Ride:
04 Mach 1

At least the BMW guy rusted the whole car. Looks almost cool. Having just a rusted hood on a car with shiny paint is just dumb. Now I have to ask, why is it cool that he has an empty trailer, empty roof rack, and a pair of vice grips attached to the front bumper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgotenk View Post
Stretched tires and low offset wheels, slammed cars, and rust are not new fads...

God forbid your car is lower then stock height and you have you have a slight stretch on your tire, you just ruined a perfectly good looking and handling car! Since 80% of regular posters on here do track events every weekend, and drive through rough NYC streets with speed bumps every other block.
I'm pretty positive that 80% of TST LIKES these awful rusted stretched slammed cars. And 99% of the people here have never attended a track event of any sort.
sean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #54
FocusDude
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6269

My Ride:
01 Focus ZX3

It's a style, someone's personal taste, how hard is that to understand. It looks hideous on some cars, it makes it less likely your **** wont get stolen. It looks awesome on other's though. I may one day try it on my rock chipped to hell hood for s's and giggles. A salvaged hood is a few bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean3 View Post
At least the BMW guy rusted the whole car... Now I have to ask, why is it cool that he has an empty trailer,
Fair question. I want more pics though, its low as all get out and looks pimp!

Quote:
empty roof rack,
do you take your roof rack off whenever its not in use? I do not.

Quote:
and a pair of vice grips attached to the front bumper?
It's holding the bumper on..?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
FocusDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #55
mgrinshpon
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14100

My Ride:
2003 Mazda Protege5, 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air

Send a message via AIM to mgrinshpon Send a message via MSN to mgrinshpon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTagTeam View Post
The look comes from Rat Rods. The gay euro faukhawk fags did NOT come up with it...they just made it gay. The whole mentality of making your car look like a pile of **** comes from Rat Rods. Where as rat rods are COOL. Rusted VW's are NOT.

I'm not exactly a common poster here but I feel I have to chime in to fix a most grievous error that you've committed.

It's a hot rod, not a rat rod.

The reason they look "ratty" is because either A) the paint on the cabin is original and they don't want it to be removed or B) it's on their "to-do" list. Almost all real hot rodders don't leave their cars in primer or without clear coat intentionally. That's boiling down to finances. Furthermore, many of these hot rods are made from sheet metal that's been sitting in a field since before your grandparents were born. They may have run out of sand or tips during sand blasting or something like that. Again, it's mostly an intermediary step as most of the money gets poured into engine and drivetrain components.

What these VW and BMW owners are doing is just retarded. There's a difference here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mgrinshpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #56
nhanxsolo
Tri-State Addict

Member #10200

My Ride:
NA miata, GS500E

Send a message via AIM to nhanxsolo
If you don't get it, then don't do it. Simple as that. I don't get why Honda ricers do half the crap they do, so I don't do it. I don't need to make a thread about it asking others to join in on bashing Honda owners.
nhanxsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #57
CarbonIS
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #301

Send a message via AIM to CarbonIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhanxsolo View Post
If you don't get it, then don't do it. Simple as that. I don't get why Honda ricers do half the crap they do, so I don't do it. I don't need to make a thread about it asking others to join in on bashing Honda owners.
i agree. people do the same thing with aggressive subaru fitments.

Quote:
I hear ya, but as the saying goes,"You can live in your car, but you can't [dyno] your house."
Quote:
Women suck balls on occasion, right?
I never had a woman suck on my back...so...
CarbonIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #58
Johara2320
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4894

My Ride:
'92 240SX

Send a message via AIM to Johara2320
the little spot of rust under my gas tank bothers the balls off me, id freak out if my whole hood was rust!

DELCO DTF

Quote:
Johara2320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #59
Johara2320
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4894

My Ride:
'92 240SX

Send a message via AIM to Johara2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgotenk View Post
Amen...

DELCO DTF

Quote:
Johara2320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #60
bl@ckvr4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4236

My Ride:
1992 mitsubishi VR4

I'm having a hard time keeping my GVR-4 from rusting. But these guys do it intentionally. It boggles the mind.

I mean, I can respect a good VW or BMW. There are some really nice, clean ones. Nhan, yours is a good example. But the general consensus seems to be intentionally rusted body panels are as stupid as aluminum spoilers, unpainted body kits and fart cans.
1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 =:No, it's not for sale.:=
bl@ckvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote