TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Subaru Talk
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 03-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
2008imprezahatch
Noob-Jersey

Member #7334

My Ride:
2008 Impreza hatch

2008 impeza 2.5i mods to increase HP's

I was wondering what would be the best mods for my new '08 impreza. I know its not an STI or a WRX but would I still be able to use parts labeld for the WRX? I'm finding it really hard to find parts for my impreza so I wanted to see if maybe I could use WRX parts to upgrade my stock Impreza.

I was thinking of installing headers, cat-back exhaust, and a short throw as my first mods to the car. I would love to add a turbo and air to water intercooler but I'm sure that would be at least $2000-which is a little over my price range.

If anyone has any ideas or links to web sites that carry parts for the new Impreza's please let me know.
2008imprezahatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

Send a message via AIM to RyanG
being that it is a brand new car and being non turbo at that, parts will be hard to come by. You will not be able to use the WRX parts that pertain to the engine but most suspension and interior stuff should work.

Keep an eye on the Open Source software as they are now able to tap into the 2.5na ECU's. Im unsure about the 08 but its only a matter of time. Dropping a turbo kit on that motor is probably the worst thing to do, the NA 2.5 engines are fairly weak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
RyanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

Not gonna lie to you, you aren't gonna get much of anything out of that motor. The naturally aspirated EJ25X line for subarus is notoriously weak for holding boost, and notorious for not responding all that well to bolt ons. Want the car to sound good? Unequal length headers (borlas or borla replicas) and a catback, but you won't gain anything from this setup really.

If you bought a car to throw a turbo on you bought the wrong car in this case. If you do get a full exhaust on the car and get it tuned for it, realistically you would see some moderate gains through the powerband, but don't expect to gain 30whp from this. Unless the N/A 08s got the full AVCS package and a tuner can work some magic with that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
2008imprezahatch
Noob-Jersey

Member #7334

My Ride:
2008 Impreza hatch

what the hell....stupid 2.5 engine. Any ideas for good horsepower upgrades on this engine?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
2008imprezahatch
Noob-Jersey

Member #7334

My Ride:
2008 Impreza hatch

Renegade, what would be a good motor to swap into this car then?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

Short of splitting open the heads and camming it (which might not be necessary if they got AVCS, which I doubt though) and getting a tune there won't be much power to be had.

Full exhaust, intake, throttle body spacer, and a tune is really it short of camming it, swapping in higher compression pistons, etc and that is definitely out of your price range if you say turboing it is too much... plus its kind of stupid to do that considering its a brand new car.

They kept the single cam 2.5 in the 08s right? They didn't go back to the DOHC design? I don't know much about the 08s, but unless subaru turned around their motor design to respond to modifications well, the track record shows.... not much to be had.

*edit* Why are you swapping in a motor into an 08? Sell the thing, buy a GC chassis for like 3 grand and then buy a WRX motorswap for another 5 grand and you have a 2800 pound WRX would be the logical answer. Either that or buy a used WRX from 02-05.

If you do want the thing to hold boost.... EJ257 shortblock with full standalone and turbo kit. Doing that to a new car though... is kind of dumb. If you bought an 08 base impreza you bought it to be reliable, not go fast.

Last edited by Renegade_; 03-27-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

You could swap in the WRX motor but really at that point you should just go trade it in and get a WRX or hold off and see if they really do change what the WRX looks like for 09
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Why did you buy a brand new 08 n/a to mod and turbo instead of just buying a used WRX?

/
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
Vypurr
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #58

My Ride:
06' SGM STi / 05' ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to Vypurr
I agree. If you want more power, buy a different car. If you want something practical, fun, reliable, and with a warranty, then keep it and don't mod it!
Gentleman do what ever it takes to empty our coffers lapdances, champagne dances, shower dances. Oh the things you can buy for a handfull of bills. It makes me excited. It gives me the chills. Thell be filcher rubs, breeders, hambones and tweeners, zobos and debos and blorps that go eenah. for a one dollar bill you can pull down their zippers.
I am the snorlax, I speak for the strippers!
Vypurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
2008imprezahatch
Noob-Jersey

Member #7334

My Ride:
2008 Impreza hatch

Long story, I didn't buy the car but it's mine now and now I was just trying to find out my options.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #11
Vypurr
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #58

My Ride:
06' SGM STi / 05' ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to Vypurr
Drive it and save your cash for a project car! Thats the better option anyways. That way you are not relying on it for your daily driver! You can go nuts with it!
Gentleman do what ever it takes to empty our coffers lapdances, champagne dances, shower dances. Oh the things you can buy for a handfull of bills. It makes me excited. It gives me the chills. Thell be filcher rubs, breeders, hambones and tweeners, zobos and debos and blorps that go eenah. for a one dollar bill you can pull down their zippers.
I am the snorlax, I speak for the strippers!
Vypurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
2008imprezahatch
Noob-Jersey

Member #7334

My Ride:
2008 Impreza hatch

Yea true....hey thanks a lot guys!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #13
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

Doug, I see you sent me an email.

we arent far from Philly. About 1hr away

Old 03-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #14
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

I'd keep the 08 stock then. Keep the warranty, gas mileage, and ultimately, the reliability. It'll be nice to have a dependable ride that can take all the paint chips, rock salt, and run on 87 octane without blinking the CEL.

Then use the money saved from mods on the 08 and put it towards a nice WRX swapped GC. Ryan at AREA1320 could guide you very well if you choose that path.

IMO, that's the best way to go in your situation. The n/a motor is great for DD and gas mileage duty, but it really wouldn't respond to mods that well without loads of cash that could be better spent.

/
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #15
K-Rex
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2255

My Ride:
2004 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vypurr View Post
I agree. If you want more power, buy a different car. If you want something practical, fun, reliable, and with a warranty, then keep it and don't mod it!
Couldn't agree with you more. Even minus a turbo that engine is still fun. Do some handling/suspension mods to rip through the corners and call it a day.
K-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #16
K-Rex
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2255

My Ride:
2004 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA1320 View Post
Doug, I see you sent me an email.

we arent far from Philly. About 1hr away
I ran into one of your swaps last weekend. Some young kid in a green 2.2l/WRX swap. Nice work!
K-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #17
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

ahhhh that would be Sam.