TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > European > BMW Talk
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
marshallpre1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6445

My Ride:
N/A

Send a message via AIM to marshallpre1
E36 M3 Purchasing Help

Hey guys,

I have an offer for my SRT-4. 97 M3 with the following mods:

"uuc intake Remus ex and motor works tunes"

copy and pasted from his email. Unfortunately, he has not told me the miles yet, and I would like to know a lot about this before plunging into it. I'm scared of BMW reliability and parts costs...

1. Common problems with an E36M?
2. Which years are the best?
3. Any comments?

I'll try to post pics later when he gets me better ones.

Thanks,
Jeremy
1994 SC300 5MT- NA-T- PT61/AEM V1- future track car
marshallpre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallpre1 View Post
Hey guys,

I have an offer for my SRT-4. 97 M3 with the following mods:

"uuc intake Remus ex and motor works tunes"

copy and pasted from his email. Unfortunately, he has not told me the miles yet, and I would like to know a lot about this before plunging into it. I'm scared of BMW reliability and parts costs...

1. Common problems with an E36M?
2. Which years are the best?
3. Any comments?

I'll try to post pics later when he gets me better ones.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Man...there's so much information to post!!!

When I was looking for mine, I looked for an adult owned, stock vehicle. With that being said, the intake and exhaust are very mild mods, so I wouldn't worry about that. You probably would have swapped those parts out eventually anyway. I have no heard of "motor works tunes", so I have no idea what the hell that is about. Mileage does play a role with these cars (as it does with all cars), but more importantly you want to know about maintenance...that I can guarantee you!!! Yes, maintenance on these cars IS that important. Receipts are your best friend.

1) First and foremost the cooling system. The stock system is KNOWN to fail...all the time. The **** plastic stock pieces (radiator end tanks, plastic water pump impeller, thermostat housing) crack and have been known to QUICKLY overheat the motor thus warping the head. These motors have a wide range of operating temperatures before you'll even see that guage move. The plastic impeller pumps have been known to break and cause even more damage. You want to make sure the water pump has been replaced with a metal impeller pump, the thermostat has been changed, thermostat housing (some people prefer the aluminum housing, some people swear by the stock plastic unit...I went with aluminum), the radiator, expansion tank, belts, hoses, BMW coolant, gaskets, etc. I JUST did this on my M, so feel free to ask more questions.

1a) Next is the oil system. The S50/S52 motors require A LOT of oil. It calls for 6.9 quarts but many people run an additional quart without any signs of windage, etc. Without the proper amount of oil you will get severe lifter tick (which I just experienced and remedied).

1b) BUSHINGS!!!!!!! This is just as important as the cooling system. All M3's shine because of their ridiculously stellar handling. If your bushings are in **** shape, the car won't handle nearly as well as it should. Front control arms/bushings, tie rods, rear trailing arm bushings, all 4 ball joints in the rear, lower control arm bushings, differential and subframe bushings...I could go on forever.

1c) Lastly, make sure you rear subframe, rear trailing arms sockets, and differential mounts are all in good condition. Those parts are known to break loose at the mounts over time if not properly taken care of...or if driven in the salt due to rusting. There are reinforcement plates available for those areas as well as many other areas.

2) The best years are a matter of opinion...

'95=OBDI S50 3.0L I6 with 240hp
'97-'99=ODBII S52 3.2L with 240hp

'95 don't have a lot of the **** emissions components that the '96-'99's have. You can also chip their ecu for tunes. '96-'99 has a bunch of **** emission components and you have to have the ecu reflashed for tunes. '96-'99 had some updates in suspension and parts in general and for that reason those years are my personal favorites. But you could read for weeks (which I have) about the differences and preferences.

3) If you're going to seriously consider buying ANY e36 M3, I HIGHLY recommend a PPI and have someone look the whole car over first. It could end up being the best money you've ever spent.

I could go on and on about this for days...but I'll leave it at this for now...until other questions arise.

Quote:
But what if they encouraged it AND the stickers turn out to be awesome? They COULD POSSIBLY say something like "I love Mike and would turn gay for his tattooed, bmw driving, new york living ass". just saying.

Last edited by twastheglow; 03-25-2010 at 02:39 PM.
twastheglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

This should help...

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=300562

Quote:
But what if they encouraged it AND the stickers turn out to be awesome? They COULD POSSIBLY say something like "I love Mike and would turn gay for his tattooed, bmw driving, new york living ass". just saying.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to russiankid
95's had a 310Z transmission which is a bit more weak than the 96+ models that have a 320Z trans. However, the 320Z does have more problems with synchro's but not always true.

Just throwing in my nerdyness in there.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
marshallpre1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6445

My Ride:
N/A

Well thanks guys. Sounds like a lot of possible headaches. I'm going to have to pass...

Jeremy
Old 03-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
sc13mw
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #15438

My Ride:
kraut wagon

what twastheglow said and you can check this out also
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=379325
sc13mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
Well thanks guys. Sounds like a lot of possible headaches. I'm going to have to pass...

Jeremy
Wow...I was not expecting that response. They aren't any more of a headache than any other car...you just have to stay on top of them more. But either way, you're welcome.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
marshallpre1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6445

My Ride:
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by twastheglow View Post
Wow...I was not expecting that response. They aren't any more of a headache than any other car...you just have to stay on top of them more. But either way, you're welcome.
I have no problem with maintenance as my Supra is maintained very well, but I just can't deal with items just completely failing out of the blue, ie. thermostats and waterpumps? That's pretty ridiculous... If it was a lower mileaged one, I would consider it, plus the guy who offered it to me seemed to be a kid.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
I have no problem with maintenance as my Supra is maintained very well, but I just can't deal with items just completely failing out of the blue, ie. thermostats and waterpumps? That's pretty ridiculous... If it was a lower mileaged one, I would consider it, plus the guy who offered it to me seemed to be a kid.
My best advice if you're looking for one would be find a well maintained one, change the rear shock mounts (cheap and super easy), refresh the entire cooling system (Zygmunt Motors sells a refresh kit with EVERYTHING YOU NEED for less than $400 and it takes less than a day to do all the work), replace the rear trailing arm bushings, and call it a day. The other **** you can tackle as you get the time and money. The couple things I just mentioned are the only real critical things.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
marshallpre1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6445

My Ride:
N/A

Quote:
My best advice if you're looking for one would be find a well maintained one, change the rear shock mounts (cheap and super easy), refresh the entire cooling system (Zygmunt Motors sells a refresh kit with EVERYTHING YOU NEED for less than $400 and it takes less than a day to do all the work), replace the rear trailing arm bushings, and call it a day. The other **** you can tackle as you get the time and money. The couple things I just mentioned are the only real critical things.

Alright man, I actually found one I like, but I'm awaiting his response on whether he wants to trade or not...

What about VANOS? Any issues with them?

Jeremy
Old 03-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
sc13mw
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #15438

My Ride:
kraut wagon

if the vanos is bad or going bad it will sound like marbles in a can. it's located at the front of the motor
Old 03-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
marshallpre1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6445

My Ride:
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc13mw View Post
if the vanos is bad or going bad it will sound like marbles in a can. it's located at the front of the motor
ah thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
Exactly, the Vanos is just BMW's version of variable valve timing. If it's going bad it will sound just like he mentioned. But don't freak out if it is. A new unit is around $400 or less and there are lots of diy's on how to replace it. It's not going to hurt your motor or anything, it'll just hamper performance and gas mileage.

Quote:

Last edited by twastheglow; 03-26-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #14
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Quote:
Exactly, the Vanos is just BMW's version of variable valve timing. If it's going bad it will sound just like he mentioned. But don't freak out if it is. A new unit is around $400 or less and there are lots of diy's on how to replace it. It's not going to hurt your motor or anything, it'll just hamper performance and gas mileage.
Come on Mike, you're scaring him! You can rebuild the Vanos unit yourself. The Vanos system fails because the internal seals are poorly designed. Beisan Systems sells the two seals for $35 shipped (redesigned btw), and it will take a day at most to replace them.

Oh btw, thermostats and waterpumps going is not something new to the automotive world. If you replace both when you get the car, along with hoses, you will be just fine. Things don't just break, they will let themselves known ahead of time.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #15
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
Come on Mike, you're scaring him! You can rebuild the Vanos unit yourself. The Vanos system fails because the internal seals are poorly designed. Beisan Systems sells the two seals for $35 shipped (redesigned btw), and it will take a day at most to replace them.

Oh btw, thermostats and waterpumps going is not something new to the automotive world. If you replace both when you get the car, along with hoses, you will be just fine. Things don't just break, they will let themselves known ahead of time.
Here you go...this is what I was refering to. http://drvanos.com/index.php?option=...&id=1&Itemid=2

A fully rebuilt unit for $250 + a refundable $100 core charge. This is the route I'm going to take when I need to cross this bridge.

Quote:
Old 03-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #16
sc13mw
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #15438

My Ride:
kraut wagon

Quote:
Here you go...this is what I was refering to. http://drvanos.com/index.php?option=...&id=1&Itemid=2

A fully rebuilt unit for $250 + a refundable $100 core charge. This is the route I'm going to take when I need to cross this bridge.
i was thinking the same thing heard real good things about drvanos
Old 03-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #17
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
i was thinking the same thing heard real good things about drvanos
I've heard NOTHING but excellent things...period.

Quote:
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #18
marshallpre1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6445

My Ride:
N/A

The people I contacted about their E36M never got back to me... I guess the search continues...
Old 04-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #19
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Quote:

To be honest, Dr.Vanos does the same thing that one can do themselves. Only thing is the solenoid is also replaced in the Dr.Vanos unit, but those usually don't go out. What is common are the two piston seals, and there is a "bearing" that you can replace. Most common is just the two seals. Dr.Vanos is easier to replace though as you don't have to disassemble as much.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #20
PAFirefighter11
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2302

My Ride:
98 Trans Am WS7 | 01 Trans AM WS6 | 03 VW Golf TDI | 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (ZJ)

Send a message via AIM to PAFirefighter11
I know this is old but if you end up with an E36 M3 you will LOVE it. When it works right, and is maintained, it's one of the most fun vehicles you can own.
Nikon D2x | Canon AE-1 | SB600 | Nikkor Lenses: 28-105 3.5-4.5 | 50 1.8 | 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Dakine Sequence | Bogen/Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod | 3231 Monopod | 486RC2 head | AlienBees B1600 | etc.
FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane
wow some of you jeep guys party hard
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote