TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
OMGshawn
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10187

My Ride:
87 Rx7 T2, 88 Rx7, 90 S13

Send a message via AIM to OMGshawn
OMGshawn's S13 build *DCC/Suede/Primer/Wire tuck.. (last page)*

Updates continue onto the next page(s).

Prettyyy much what it is now.

Pretty much..

1990 S13
-S14 KA swap
-Intake
-Header back exhaust
-Cusco coilovers
-Welded diff
-HUD cluster
-Short shifter
-180sx tails
-SE wheels

This is her when I first picked her up

UGLY interior.

I removed the tach, swapped steering wheels, swapped in S14 seats, did the headunit wiring, removed the nasty cloth on the door panels, had my gf make me a banging bandanna shift boot and cleaned the **** out of everything.

I ended up swapping wheels with my friend which brought me here

After that I pretty much had mix matched wheels from drifting and constantly going through tires.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6/29/09

Got my wire tuck done yesterday. Had to redo some of the wires because they ended up rubbing through and causing some shorts.

Also swapped in a new auto seat belt system on the driverside because mine was a piece of **** and broke. No more having to buckle 2 belts everytime! lol

Also got a washer bottle because it's annoying as hell having to stop to clean my window.

Here's some of the dual cam swap parts. Also got nismo engine and tranny mounts and a **** ton of other stuff that's at my dads house right now. I should be going over there soon to bring my engine and tranny here so I can paint them and do the swap.

This is my audio setup so far. Still need to find an amp.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7/23/09

Bigggg update, lots of pictures.

We'll start off with something small...

Relocated my license plate. I always hated how it looked in the middle and the big ugly mounting bracket.

Then I did some work on my hatch, cut out the rust, glassed over it and threw on some filler. It looks a lot better now that I leveled it out too, I'll have to get some better pictures soon.

A quick photo of some more parts, S13 dizzy, cluster, wire harness etc.

Also got S13 cams

Nismo engine and tranny mounts

Starter, PS lines, etc.

Starting cleaning my tranny too, still got more work to do on it

Brand new OEM throwout bearing assembly

I went through my whole harness replacing all the damaged connectors with new ones off my donor harness

Then I worked on re-wrapping the whole harness

The aftermath, lol

Here's some quick snaps of the S14 KA waiting to go in

Tucked the harness, looks a lot better this way

When I had the intake mani off I noticed the head was ported and the valves looked pretty new so I decided to pull the valve cover off and check out the head. Looks pretty clean

While it was off I decided to paint the valve cover. Started by getting it down to bare metal

Followed by some primer

Then black..

Anddddd some red, since that seems to be the theme with the car lol

I actually painted the S13 DE valve cover first, not realizing the heads are different between s13/s14. So I did the S14 one and ended up selling the s13 one to my freind.

Here's the finished S14 one, needs a little touch up here and there.

And on the engine, all buttoned up and ready to go in

Then I got the car up on jack stands and started tearing her apart

Quick snap of the Cusco coilovers, lol

Finally got the bitch out

And I'm left with this..

Then I took the POS ugly cluster out

And swapped in the much nicer HUD, hehe

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7/6/09

Got the bay cleaned, not the best but a lot better than it looked.

Also got the engine in, lol

Here's the most recent shot of the hatch, needs another small layer of filler then it's gonna get blocked sanded and primed.

Quick shot of the short throw

Also, anyone know what kind of clutch this is? Came off my single cam, and it was actually a decent clutch, just trying to figure out what kind it is.

What's left..

Heater core lines, not sure if I'm just going to block them off or what yet
Finish the alt. wiring
Finish bolting up the driveshaft, only got 2 bolts in it
Some other small odds and ends and it should be on the road again

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9/06/09

It runs! muwhahaha.

Alittle rough though, got to go back and fix all my vacuum leaks and find my coolant leak, I think it's coming out of the heater core line where it connects to the block. I hope not because that would suck.

Any way car should be on the road in a few days. It turned out to be a combination of a bad efi harness, egi relay, and a loose ground on the alternator.

What's left..

Put hose clamps on everything
Find my coolant leak
Reseal my homemade egr block off plate
Make sure I have no other vacuum leaks
I need to get a new harness, hopefully tomorrow

My transmission is frozen, it only goes into 5th and if the car is running and I let off the clutch in neutral the car still acts like it's in gear so it's probably a stuck shift fork or something. Either way I have a spare tranny but that's more work.

I also primered my hatch, looks a lot better one color.

9/07/09

Pulled off the intake manifold and wire brushed most of it. I had to pull it off anyway because I had a coolant leak where it clamps to the block. I also put heat back in the car because it's getting cold and I hate not having heat. I re-routed the heater core line setup so that it doesn't run though the intake manifold anymore.

Going today to get a new harness and I'm getting a MSD blaster coil with it then going to the parts store probably to get the rest of the stuff I need.

If I can find my camera I'll take some new pics.

9/08/09

Picked up the harness and MSD blaster 2 coil earlier. Got to fix a connector or 2 but it'll be in and running again tomorrow.

Did a quick job of tucking my driver side fuse box, it's not bad but I want to eventually do a full tuck and move everything behind the glove box.

Since my birthday is coming up I'm gonna ask for a new amp so I can finish my system, a header and probably new wheels. It's either wheels or a new radiator/fans/shroud/houses pretty much. Not sure what I'm doing yet because I need new tires anyway.

9/09/09

So..

Got the car in the air to do the tranny swap. It's so nice having a decent amount of room to work, but it was a bitch trying to get the jack under it with on side raised on jack stands already. The jack doesn't even fit under my diff and it's a nice quality low profile race jack(see picture lol).

The primered hatch

Pretty much..

Interior currently

Still trying to figure out my bog and running problems. My oil was flooded with gas, almost 3qts!!! I guess I have a stuck open injector or few.
9/14/09

Picked up oil, filter, trans fluid, and the intake manifold gaskets.

Got the intake pulled and the trans swap will be done tomorrow hopefully along with the rest of the car.

Also redid my headunit wire harness because my speakers started cutting out, thank god this fixed the problem lol

Here are the wheels I'm getting. I know they're not the prettiest but they're only temporary. Going to be painting them semi gloss black and re-polishing the lips.

9/15/09

Oil is done, trans is almost done, swapped back to S13 seats(I had a reason..), got the intake manifold back on and everything hooked back up. Just waiting to finish swapping the trans and she should be good to go. I just hope it runs better..

Last edited by OMGshawn; 11-05-2009 at 12:04 AM.
OMGshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
[sr20]sean
Tri-State Addict

Member #6383

My Ride:
96 nissan 200sx se-r, 89 nissan 240sx hatch

Send a message via AIM to [sr20]sean
what exhaust is that? how's it sound?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
*disclaimer* It was a joke. I don't use condoms. That's what coat hangers at the bottom of staircases are for.
[sr20]sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
OMGshawn
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10187

My Ride:

It was a custom made one by the PO, pretty sure it's close to 3". The car sounds great though, a nice deep tone.

Hit the text limit lol
9/17/09

Pulled out the center console, seats, back seats, etc and vacuumed everything. I also painted the glove box black and redid the center console(where the mirror switch is and ash tray, that part of it) because it was scratched and looked like ****.

I ran all the wiring for the amp and battery relocation. It's pretty much setup like this.

Sorry for the ****ty paint skillz..

The header should be here tomorrow(the 18th) which is perfect because the trans will be done too.

I'll grab some pictures when it gets brighter outside.

9/18/09

Got some pics finally.

Here's the amp and battery wiring. The + from the front of the car is ran on the passenger side under the sill/carpet and goes to a splitter under the rear seat where both the grounds are too.

The splitter under the seat.

And the one in the engine bay. The blue wire will be replaced with the + end of the new wire I ran to the bay.

I quickly mounted the coil, much better then it hanging around the engine bay.

Then I pulled the old stock manifold off

So I can put this in.

This didn't come out to bad, I want to redo the ash tray though because now it sticks out badly.

The glove box came out decent, it looks better in real life. I'm probably going to do my headliner also.

9/19/09

It's done! Mostly..

Got the header on, the trans done, oil'd up and almost all the bugs worked out.

Problems.

My exhaust scraps, everything. It's hanging .25" off the ground right now. Got to go under there tomorrow and see what's up.
Has a slight idle problem once it warms up, probably my timing though
There's something weird with oil system. I drained everything, let it sit over night to make sure everything came out, went back the next day did the filter, put about 4qts in it and half a qt in the filter, ran it to warm it up and it's saying i'm like 2qts over full...wtf? My oil pan is not dented anywhere near enough to cause that either.

That's pretty much it. The car sounds so much better now, and the header fit great, well worth the $110 shipped. I'll get pictures tomorrow when it's bright out.

Last edited by OMGshawn; 09-19-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Marino.
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10432

My Ride:
1993 240sx coupe se

Send a message via AIM to Marino. Send a message via MSN to Marino.
Looks good, any future plans?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Marino. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
JDMTyler3326
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9917

My Ride:
^

Send a message via AIM to JDMTyler3326
Pretty low for a 240. Looks nice, loving the 180 tails.
JDMTyler3326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
4DR_DB7
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #13599

My Ride:
97 Acura Teg

thats almost a Sileighty you got there son. Good job, needs new wheels for sure though, will help out a lot.

1 question, what happens after you pass inspection?... never gonna need it inspected again?
4DR_DB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
OMGshawn
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10187

My Ride:

Wheels are definitely on my list. I have to wait till inspection to swap because my s14 KA has no emissions and my inspection is expired. So after that I'll be good for 2 years.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
omgjacki
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5869

My Ride:
2018 CX-5 GT Premium, 2018 Honda Grom

Send a message via AIM to omgjacki Send a message via Yahoo to omgjacki
What kind of wheels are you thinking about? That's pretty damn clean except the hood and front bumper look a little faded. Could just be the pictures. Any rust? What other plans do you have for it?
Old 06-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
OMGshawn
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10187

My Ride:

I still have a lot of plans for this car. I'm going to be turbo'ing the KA, shooting for like 280whp on stock block for now. After that I'm redoing my brakes and doing the rest of the suspension. For the body I'm doing a CF hatch, CF whale tail, and maybe a CF hood when if I decide to go Silvia in the future. I already have stock mudflaps that I have to paint and they're going to be put on.

It only has some minor spots of surface rust starting to show on top of the shock towers, other then that and the hatch from the stupid stock whale tail it's a pretty solid car.

This is the whale tail I'm looking at..

It should add a nice touch to the car and the cf will go with the black and red theme I have going.

If I decide to go silvia I'm probably going to do the front end like this with that hood too.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
JDMTyler3326
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9917

My Ride:
^

Send a message via AIM to JDMTyler3326
I your plans with the front end. But I don't like that wing that much. How about a little M3 one?
JDMTyler3326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
Goddabob
Tri-State Addict

Member #5799

Please keep the pignose. Also if your interested I have a full 5 lug swap with knuckles and s14 stock wheels for sale.

PM me if your interested.
Goddabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:49 AM   #12
OMGshawn
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10187

My Ride:

I'm good on the parts, I have literally no money to my name right now lol.

I updated the original post with some before pictures and such. I still have to organize all the pics and add some more.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #13
Goddabob
Tri-State Addict

Member #5799

I need to move my harness also, was there enough slack to just zip tie it up out of the way?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #14
OMGshawn
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10187

My Ride:

Yeah, I didn't have to mod it at all. It's ziptied where the clips for the hood release cable we're attached and it clears the tire perfectly. The only thing was the fender was sort of a bitch to get back on because of where it is but it still fit fine.

Last edited by OMGshawn; 06-29-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
OMGshawn
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10187

My Ride:

So, the car will be on the road tomorrow, which means it can get inspected Friday, which means I can finally do my swap!

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll be bringing my engine and trans over and all my other parts so expect lots of pics.

Also got all the mud flaps mounted and decided I'm going to keep them on; just got to repaint them and clean them up.

Last edited by OMGshawn; 07-01-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #16
OMGshawn
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10187

My Ride:

Brought all my parts to my house today. Going to start painting some **** tomorrow and bring my engine and tranny over. Hopefully have the swap started in the next couple days.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #17
OMGshawn
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10187

My Ride:

Bought some **** today. Got Bondo, paint for my engine, tape, sand paper, etc.

Anyone know any inspection stations around central NJ that are 'easier' to pass? Got my car all done and ready for inspection and now they won't pass it because of visible smoke out my exhaust.

Hopefully will get my engine over here soon so I can prep it and paint it.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #18
Spoolin_VQ30DE
Tri-State Addict

Member #7647

My Ride:
97 Maxima

nice wpork
Spoolin_VQ30DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #19
Teku18
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4895

My Ride:
2014 WRB BRZ, 1992 SVX

Send a message via AIM to Teku18
looking very nice dude. keep it up.
Quote:
yes this is ok with me, obviously but when someone is paying and i plasma their fender open and then duct tape it shut they might get upset while i am laughing.
Teku18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #20
Goddabob
Tri-State Addict

Member #5799

Looks good