TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Exterior, Interior, and Electrical
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 03-12-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
GeforceXtreme
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #367

My Ride:
2000 Buick Regal GSE

Send a message via AIM to GeforceXtreme
Tips on spraying interior plastic trim and vinyl.

In my car, some of my trim pieces are started to fade in color. Also being my car is almost totally gray on the inside, I like to add a little detail by off-setting it with some black. I don't plan to go over-board by like turning everything like red or white. Some of the parts I need to paint, are either plastic or vinyl. Also some of the plastic trim pieces, were previously painted in the past, and the paint is started to chip off, and show the original paint underneath. What can I use to strip off the old spray paint, without damaging the plastic or vinyl. When I want to strip paint of a metal, I usually use air-craft paint stripper. However that stuff is so powerful, I would expect it to melt the plastic. Should I just sand the plastic down? Or should I use a chemical to strip the old paint off? However if you sand down the plastic, I think I would loose the textured look, that my factory trim has.

So many people have told me different ways of spraying the trim, so the paint sticks, and doesn’t chip off. Some say don’t use primer, some say do? Also I was told to use rubber alcohol, right before you spray something, so it’s extra clean? I would have to guess that some of you have spray painted trim pieces in the past, so what do you guys feel is the best way of doing this? Can these methods be used the same way with vinyl? Also one last thing, If you want to spray two different colors, what type of tape should you use, to tape of sections that you don’t want to paint? I like to go out and buy little a mini spray gun to hook up to my air compressor, to paint these trim pieces. Instead of going out and blowing money on rattle cans all the time.

It also seems that there are never any good guides online that I can come across, about spray painting trim parts? Its odd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- "Gods Grocery Getter is powered by an L67 3800"
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

12.900 @ 109.91mph 2.166 60Ft (Fastest 1/4)
13.374 @ 110.01mph 2.467 60Ft (Fastest Trap)

Last edited by GeforceXtreme; 03-14-2006 at 02:40 AM.
GeforceXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
2point4DSM
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #505

My Ride:
08 Sienna Limited AWD, 07 John Deere riding mower, 03 Honda Pilot, 92 GSX

Send a message via AIM to 2point4DSM
I believe the last time I looked Pepboys had interior plastic trim piece paint. Essentially you want to use paint that bonds with plastic at the molecular level and not just sit on top of it since it will eventually flake off by the end of the week due to heating and cooling of the plastic by the sun.

I believe Krylon makes something too.

I'm sure it is similar to the paint used on lexan for RC cars.

Follow the paint can's directions. Pretty simple. Clean material with a light soapy water mix, let dry, paint when temps are above 60 degrees, etc.

08 Sienna, limited AWD w/ laser guided cruise control, FTMFW!
2point4DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:54 AM   #3
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

Send a message via AIM to teh DIRT
i hear its smells.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:26 AM   #4
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

go in very light coats, it can run very easy if u go too thick

FRP™ #5
HatchSurfer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
2point4DSM
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #505

My Ride:
08 Sienna Limited AWD, 07 John Deere riding mower, 03 Honda Pilot, 92 GSX

Send a message via AIM to 2point4DSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchSurfer3
go in very light coats, it can run very easy if u go too thick
Especially when the temps are colder. When it is nice and hot out it will certainly be much easier to spray a nice looking coat.

08 Sienna, limited AWD w/ laser guided cruise control, FTMFW!
2point4DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
GeforceXtreme
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #367

My Ride:
2000 Buick Regal GSE

Does anyone know what I can use to strip old spray paint off of trim without damaging the plastic? Or should I just spray right over it? I don't want to sand it, because I will loose the textured effect in my trim?

-

Old 03-13-2006, 11:49 PM   #7
hystericfox
Tri-State Addict

Member #1366

My Ride:
Too many.

Send a message via AIM to hystericfox
Want to do it so it lasts? Bulldog makes a plastic paint stripper. Takes the paint off, doesn't harm the plastic. Then use Bulldog Adhesion Promotor. Finally, spray paint. The Bulldog is an adhesion promotor and flex agent, so the paint will not only stick to the plastic pieces, it'll flex with them and not crack and flake off. Trust me, this is the only way to do it right. It should also work just as well on vinyl. And those little touch-up spray guns run about $50.
04 WRX wagon - winter beater
-RjH

Last edited by hystericfox; 03-13-2006 at 11:53 PM.
hystericfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:41 AM   #8
GeforceXtreme
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #367

My Ride:
2000 Buick Regal GSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hystericfox
Want to do it so it lasts? Bulldog makes a plastic paint stripper. Takes the paint off, doesn't harm the plastic. Then use Bulldog Adhesion Promotor. Finally, spray paint. The Bulldog is an adhesion promotor and flex agent, so the paint will not only stick to the plastic pieces, it'll flex with them and not crack and flake off. Trust me, this is the only way to do it right. It should also work just as well on vinyl. And those little touch-up spray guns run about $50.
Is there a place where I can pickup that bulldog stuff?

Also besides going to autozone and pepboys.. is there a better place to go pickup paint supplies (maybe even save a buck?) I think I have heard of a place over on easton road called Mallon R W Auto Paints And Equipment? Has anyone ever been there?

-

Last edited by GeforceXtreme; 03-14-2006 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
hystericfox
Tri-State Addict

Member #1366

My Ride:
Too many.

Send a message via AIM to hystericfox
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeforceXtreme
Is there a place where I can pickup that bulldog stuff?

Also besides going to autozone and pepboys.. is there a better place to go pickup paint supplies (maybe even save a buck?) I think I have heard of a place over on easton road called Mallon R W Auto Paints And Equipment? Has anyone ever been there?
If you go to that auto paint place ask them, they should have Bulldog. I get mine from an auto paint supply shop.
04 WRX wagon - winter beater
-RjH
hystericfox is offline   Reply With Quote