TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Drag Racing
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #81
Kevin
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2345

My Ride:
EVO

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Is there a IAT sensor in this thing?

Quote:
Thanks dude, you should know better than to think id ditch my dsm's for a vw... lol.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #82
screamingdsm
Tri-State Addict

Member #465

My Ride:
Volvo

Send a message via AIM to screamingdsm
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
I would but you'd pick up almost another 100whp (if not more) if you'd put an intercooler on this thing (all things being equal). Running that high of boost with no intercooler just doesn't make much sense for a dragster. Sure the meth allows you to get away with it, but you can't ignore the physics. Colder intake air will yield more HP and your engine will probably last longer. That thing is awesome as it stands, but (the good thing) there is easy HP left in it. Install a small air to water unit with an ice box and watch the 170+mph traps roll in. The meth alone just doesn't have enough cooling capacity to cool that much hot air, and you could easily up the boost to 40psi to make another 100hp.

Damn i wonder how Shep went 7.70@191 with no intercooler on 56psi????? Brent Rau 6.9@ over 200mph. Physics and real life sometimes dont go hand and hand.

Aem ems runs a IAT....

Shep.

Last edited by screamingdsm; 06-07-2009 at 12:29 PM.
screamingdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #83
Kevin
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2345

My Ride:
EVO

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingdsm View Post
Aem ems runs a IAT....

Shep.
exxxxactly

Quote:
Thanks dude, you should know better than to think id ditch my dsm's for a vw... lol.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #84
Driven
Tri-State Addict

Member #336

Send a message via AIM to Driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
I would but you'd pick up almost another 100whp (if not more) if you'd put an intercooler on this thing (all things being equal). Running that high of boost with no intercooler just doesn't make much sense for a dragster. Sure the meth allows you to get away with it, but you can't ignore the physics. Colder intake air will yield more HP and your engine will probably last longer. That thing is awesome as it stands, but (the good thing) there is easy HP left in it. Install a small air to water unit with an ice box and watch the 170+mph traps roll in. The meth alone just doesn't have enough cooling capacity to cool that much hot air, and you could easily up the boost to 40psi to make another 100hp.
I'm just curious if you've built many methanol powered drag cars? There's little to be gained with an intercooler on a methanol car and then when you consider the weight penalty, added complexity and pressure drop across the IC, you really start to negate things. I know first hand of a car that just recently removed his large air to water IC and put a straight pipe in it's place and went to a 2" shorter tire (28" slick down to a 26" slick, FWD) and went it's fastest pass ever on it's first pass after those two changes. I'm also not sure what that 100+ HP gain will buy us if we can go 170+ MPH when we've already gone 170+ MPH? I'm sorry if this post sounds like I'm being an ass. I'm just not sure where your data comes from?

PS. I'm a mechanical engineer by profession. ;)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Driven; 06-07-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #85
Driven
Tri-State Addict

Member #336

Send a message via AIM to Driven
Quote:
Damn i wonder how Shep went 7.70@191 with no intercooler on 56psi????? Brent Rau 6.9@ over 200mph. Physics and real life sometimes dont go hand and hand.
I think shep was running a bit over 56 PSI on that run, but none the less, no intercooler. Same goes for Brent who just recently went 199 MPH again at over 80 PSI of boost, no nitrous, no intercooler, just good ol' meth.

Quote:
Aem ems runs a IAT....
Correction, AEM EMS CAN run an IAT. Our car physically has one but our tune is not IAT dependent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #86
screamingdsm
Tri-State Addict

Member #465

My Ride:
Volvo

I stand corrected! lol.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #87
KawBoy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2755

My Ride:
WW EVO VIII

Send a message via AIM to KawBoy
Hah I never come on this forum.. funny to see the locals here from t00ners and link

What ever happened with what you thought was a spun bearing?
KawBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #88
screamingdsm
Tri-State Addict

Member #465

My Ride:
Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
I think shep was running a bit over 56 PSI on that run, but none the less, no intercooler. Same goes for Brent who just recently went 199 MPH again at over 80 PSI of boost, no nitrous, no intercooler, just good ol' meth.

Correction, AEM EMS CAN run an IAT. Our car physically has one but our tune is not IAT dependent.
what kind of oil are you using?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #89
dturbocivic
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2384

My Ride:
XXXX HP to the tires :P

dont forget about the titan motorsports scion, probably the quickest sport compact around, they do not run an intercooler either.

-

dturbocivic is offline   Reply With Quote