TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Drag Racing
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #21
1_badimport
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5224

My Ride:
1987 mazda rx7 /sbc

the twin disc (especially cintered iron clutches like mcloud )as they get more heat in them grab harder as there spun out of the hole ..as you launch ,the clutch slips just a bit allowing the car to put the power to the ground more gradually then grabs tight locking up a few feet out of the hole ..

thats why prostck /promod cars use the clutch to adjust how the car gets out of the hole granted they have 10 clutch packs but the same princapal..
about 12-13 years ago i was using a cintered iron twin disc clutch on my fwd turbo vw (it was made by mcloud one of the only ones available at that time )..
the next step is to pull timing on a launch to get the car to leave lazy then add it in as you get down the track ..

Last edited by 1_badimport; 11-09-2008 at 09:49 PM.
1_badimport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #22
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000whpTSi View Post
Get ready for some drivetrain breakage! I would invest in a stronger drivetrain before anything.It takes more than a ton of power and some slicks to run fast and consistant.
When I'm building something in stages I always do the drivetrain and engine management system first.Sorry for wandering off topic.
Are you talking about my car or cars in general? If you're talking about mine, I'm way ahead of you. If you're talking about cars in general, than I agree to an extent. There are ways to take the stress off of the drivetrain and still launch hard. Preloading for instance.

Quote:
I understand where you guys are coming from saying its hard launching fwd turbo cars but I think you might have this one backwards. Yes i know it is hard launching them but i believe an all motor fwd (if your making alot of power) is much harder. N/A applications all your power is right from the start, where as with a turbo setup unless your using anti lag your only making N/A power untill you start to make boost.
No, it is definitely not backwards. Launching N/A FWD is very easy compared to launching FWD turbo. Turbo cars, especially high powered turbo cars, have huge transitions of power in the span of 1000-1500rpms. You can't launch much of anything on street tires, but if you were to put a set of 22" slicks on your car you would have absolutely no issues with launching.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #23
UnderPoweredRS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #233

Send a message via AIM to UnderPoweredRS
Quote:
True,but once again this depends on your power level.Believe me,if I wanted to spin tire half way down the track it would'nt be hard.
I understand you had good results with the single disc,but there is no doubt in my mind you would have even better results with a twin disc.There is really no comparison.You might just not be at the power level where you need it yet.No offense.

That is very true. My car is only making like 350 at the wheels. So I'm still good with a single disc. In fact it probably saved me a few transmissions.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #24
ThatTealHatch
Tri-State Addict

Member #7110

Send a message via AIM to ThatTealHatch
i was just trying to get used to my new set-up, first time ive had the car back at the track in about 7-8 months. i was only launching at ~5k. if i launch at any lower rpm it falls on its face. it was bogging when i was going at 5k. so unlesss you have better tips then just "dude i used to do this". i dont see where you wanted this to go. im very open to new suggestions ill try anything as long as its reasonable.
ThatTealHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #25
1000whpTSi
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8766

My Ride:
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Damnit,you Honda guys have it easy.I had to spend over $10,000 on my drivetrain in order to be able to launch hard at the power level I'm at.

Taking the slack out of the driveline is no secret.
92' Talon TSi-Drag car - GT4202 / Shearer top mount / Shep Dogbox / Haltech E11v2 / Weldon 2345-A / Hogan custom SMIM / Wilson Billit 90mm TB / J&S SAFEGAURD-Individual cylinder knock controll system / DSS Level 5 axles / DSS 3.5" HD Driveshaft /
1000whpTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #26
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
Quote:
True,but once again this depends on your power level.Believe me,if I wanted to spin tire half way down the track it would'nt be hard.
I understand you had good results with the single disc,but there is no doubt in my mind you would have even better results with a twin disc.There is really no comparison.You might just not be at the power level where you need it yet.No offense.
I've heard it's a no go on twin discs for drag racing. For my PPG dogbox, they reccomended going with an ACT 6-puck unsprung clutch, and said stay far far away from the exedy twin disc or any of the sort.

What about a triple carbon? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderPoweredRS View Post
That is very true. My car is only making like 350 at the wheels. So I'm still good with a single disc. In fact it probably saved me a few transmissions.
really? on what motor/turbo do you make 350whp with?

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!
D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #27
Jeffros Spec V
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #263

Send a message via AIM to Jeffros Spec V
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwrxkid View Post

Isn't he on a 2.0 with a 16g or 18g hybrid?
Jeffros Spec V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #28
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

I thought, but that's not 350whp then.

Quote:
Old 11-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #29
TrboChicsRock
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #152

My Ride:
1998 Eclipse GSX, 2012 WRX Premium

Send a message via AIM to TrboChicsRock
Quote:
I've heard it's a no go on twin discs for drag racing. For my PPG dogbox, they reccomended going with an ACT 6-puck unsprung clutch, and said stay far far away from the exedy twin disc or any of the sort.
Maybe in a Subaru, but twin discs have been proven in DSM's that drag race.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TrboChicsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #30
noclutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #2604

My Ride:
Black 3G Eclipse, Riced out

Quote:

Multi-disk is where its at for drag racing on most platforms. Why do they suggest otherwise on that trans?

100WHPTSI- Just go auto, way cheaper.

2010 Zone Spark NEV, 48V 5.5hp Thanks Obama
noclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #31
OutToWinPAHC
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5081

My Ride:
R33 GTS25T, RHD E46, Truck, part R32 GTR

Send a message via AIM to OutToWinPAHC
On the 91 hatch I had ultra hard rear suspension to help eliminate the front end jump and I set the front was still as well. She would leave well under 4500 RPM and start booting right away. Tires were ultra sticky, and over all was a success. But I also raced my Nova time to time. Not a big power car under 400hp but on a kitted TH350 with a 3500 stall converter and a tall 4.10 locker. But the stall converter made he go out of the hole. I could have used a higher stall, but it was a cruiser car. But autos are just easier to learn and predict at the drag strip. I'd take a 2 speed powerglide over a MT any day at the track.
OutToWinPAHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #32
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrboChicsRock View Post
Maybe in a Subaru, but twin discs have been proven in DSM's that drag race.
Could be.

Quote:
Old 11-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #33
wsirianni
Tri-State Addict

Member #6870

My Ride:
2005 subaru sti

Send a message via AIM to wsirianni
in my subaru my drivetrain is completly stock (besides bushings and shifter) like the transmission its self and the clutch are stock. i launch at 5500 and it spins all 4 which is a bad thing to do at the track. when i run i try to slip it so it doesnt break the wheels loose and the clutch holds up fine. ask egmatt hes driven my car!
wsirianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:50 AM   #34
tort9320g
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #513

Quote:
In order to launch hard with a high HP AWD car you really need to invest in the drivetrain.A twin disc clutch is imperative.On drag radials i launch at 7,000 riding the pedal for most of 1st gear.Thats on a street tune.Somewhere around 550-600whp.On race fuel the motor makes 350+hp more so I'm leaving the line a lot less agressively.I run all DSS stage 5 axles,DSS 3.5" HD Techapulse driveshaft,Shep Dogbox,DSS transfer case,Stress treated rear diff and there is still a great risk of breakage when launching this car hard.So in referance to the statement above about launching an AWD car harder,yes you can get off the line quicker with less spin but at the same time care must be taken.It also depends on the power output and selection of clutch.Your not gonna' benefit from just going with a single disc clutch with a high pressure plate rating.A twin or triple disc clutch and knowing how to modulate the pedal is really going to be the most important part.
That must be one ULTRA conservative street tune on a massive turbo. To see a 350 + hp gain on race gas is telling me you're running a massive timing increase along with an ungodly amount of boost. You wouldn't happen to be spraying by any chance ? Please elaborate on your set-up if you wouldn't mind. I've been around DSM's for ten years now and i'm wondering if we might have crossed paths.

Dave
Old 11-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #35
1000whpTSi
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8766

My Ride:
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Quote:

I don't know who told you that but they most likely did'nt take there meds when they told you this.There is no 2 ways about it.Single disc clutches simply cannot compare to single disc.And on top of that the twin disc clutch puts far less stress on the drivetrain.If your sticking with a single disc I'd say go with an ACT3200 with a street disc.The only thing your going to do with that 6 puck solid hub is put unwanted stress on your driveline.Your obviously going to be drag racing the car because dogboxes are not made for the street.I drive mine on the street but it's not street friendly.Trying to downshift and brake mostly leads to loud,costly sounding clunks and bangs.
Honestly,the best clutch on the market is the Tilton carbon/carbon twin disc and triple disc.They are a bit pricey at over $4,000 but if you want the best and your sick of replacing glazed discs it's the price you'll have to pay.
I would call ACT and ask to speak with my buddy Darryl Sampson.Tell em' Vinnie,the owner of Sean Ivey's old 1G Talon told you to call.He'll give you honest suggestions.
I don't know how much your spending on the dogbox,but I know I spent $6,000 on mine.And that was just the price of the gearset.Why spend all that $ on the DB just to turn around and put a $250 clutch in there.I don't know what the gear ratio is in your trans. but my 1st gear tops out at over 65mph.In an AWD car with a 1st gear that tall you are either going to need that twin disc or plan on going through discs on a steady basis.
92' Talon TSi-Drag car - GT4202 / Shearer top mount / Shep Dogbox / Haltech E11v2 / Weldon 2345-A / Hogan custom SMIM / Wilson Billit 90mm TB / J&S SAFEGAURD-Individual cylinder knock controll system / DSS Level 5 axles / DSS 3.5" HD Driveshaft /
Old 11-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #36
1000whpTSi
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8766

My Ride:
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tort9320g View Post
That must be one ULTRA conservative street tune on a massive turbo. To see a 350 + hp gain on race gas is telling me you're running a massive timing increase along with an ungodly amount of boost. You wouldn't happen to be spraying by any chance ? Please elaborate on your set-up if you wouldn't mind. I've been around DSM's for ten years now and i'm wondering if we might have crossed paths.

Dave
On a 2.0 liter motor on pump gas there is no reason to try to produce boat loads of power.
I run 18psi on pump gas on a GT4202.The motor sees 45+psi on race fuel.
The car is equiped with a direct port system but I have'nt utilized it yet.
Before I owned this car I had a green 1G that went 10.60's,a red 91' that was my daily driver,and a black 92' that went 11.0's.I've been playing with the DSM's for about 10 years as well.
Without getting into exact detail i run a 2.0 liter .20+,GT4202,Shearer top mount exhaust manifold,Hogan intake manifold,90mm TB,Weldon 2345A pump,Shep Dogbox,full DSS drivetrain.Just your average 1,000hp DSM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #37
1000whpTSi
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8766

My Ride:
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclutch View Post
Multi-disk is where its at for drag racing on most platforms. Why do they suggest otherwise on that trans?

100WHPTSI- Just go auto, way cheaper.
I almost did last year but there company I was dealing with screwed me out of $750 for some other parts and I cut ties with them.Shep has always done right by me.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #38
tort9320g
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #513

Quote:
On a 2.0 liter motor on pump gas there is no reason to try to produce boat loads of power.
I run 18psi on pump gas on a GT4202.The motor sees 45+psi on race fuel.
The car is equiped with a direct port system but I have'nt utilized it yet.
Before I owned this car I had a green 1G that went 10.60's,a red 91' that was my daily driver,and a black 92' that went 11.0's.I've been playing with the DSM's for about 10 years as well.
Without getting into exact detail i run a 2.0 liter .20+,GT4202,Shearer top mount exhaust manifold,Hogan intake manifold,90mm TB,Weldon 2345A pump,Shep Dogbox,full DSS drivetrain.Just your average 1,000hp DSM.
Damn, i was almost dead on !! I would have guessed 20 psi on the street and 45-50 on race gas. Any numbers out of the current set-up ? We'll be out with my new set-up first thing come spring time. Good luck with your ride. You've got me by about 300 hp.

Take care, maybe i'll see you out there...Dave
Old 11-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #39
SpEcRv9
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6190

My Ride:
korean supra.

Send a message via AIM to SpEcRv9
Quote:
I understand where you guys are coming from saying its hard launching fwd turbo cars but I think you might have this one backwards. Yes i know it is hard launching them but i believe an all motor fwd (if your making alot of power) is much harder. N/A applications all your power is right from the start, where as with a turbo setup unless your using anti lag your only making N/A power untill you start to make boost.
lol wut?...i dont make all my power until 6k?, and then have to shift 200 rpms later, i dont know why nissan ****ed this car over with a low redline since its not boosted...wooot cool max power for 200rpms...thanks nissan!!!

maybe its because fwd all motor cars are not drag cars? i launch my non drag "all motor" car at like 2200 rpm and i still spin all through first...any lower and i bog down...any higer and its more spinning...

launching fwd you really just gotta play with the gas pedal...

Last edited by SpEcRv9; 11-11-2008 at 01:54 PM.
SpEcRv9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #40
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpEcRv9 View Post
launching fwd you really just gotta play with the gas pedal...
Or just learn how to slip the clutch where you keep the RPMs constant but keep going faster...
Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote