TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Herblenny
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #22253

My Ride:
1993 Mazda RX7

Project: "Last RX-7" by Herblenny

Brief information about me...

My name is Philip Sohn. I been in rotary scene for over 10 years and have owned my share of rotaries (RX-2, RX-3, 1st gen RX7, 2nd gen RX-7, 10 or so 3rd gens, RX-8, Eunos Cosmo 3 Rotor, etc).
Here are few pics of the cars I've owned..

1993 MB RX-7, 1972 Orange RX-2 coupe, 2004 Lighting Yellow GT RX-8

1985 GSL-SE RX-7 mint!

1991 RX-7 convertible (first rotary I bought)

1973 RX-3 coupe (track ready)

1993 RX-7 base blk/blk (my first FD)

1991 Eunos Cosmo 3 Rotor

1994 SSM FD (My other project)

I also run one of the biggest rotary car event called, 'Deals Gap Rotary Rally' (www.DealsGapRotaryRally.com).

And if someone ask me what my specialty is, it would be 3rd generation RX-7. I've owned more of these than any cars and have built 3-4 of them in the past. I personally think FD3S RX7 is the best car Mazda has produced and one of the top sports car available in the 90s and still one of the best today. For the past 8 years, I been collecting rare parts, manuals, magazines, and been lucky that some vendors appreciated my build and sponsored me (Thank you Exedy USA, WORK Wheels, Disc Brakes Australia, and Bride). Last year, I made it on to the cover of Modified Magazine and recently featured on S3 Mag.

Modified Mag feature: http://www.modified.com/features/mod...o/viewall.html
Modified Mag feature about my event: http://www.modified.com/events/modp-...y/viewall.html

After over 10 years of owning and now my life is starting to change (Married and with a young son), I am wanting to build my "Last RX-7" and go out with a bang. I been studying and researching about 3 rotor RX-7 and that is what my "Last RX-7" will be.

From Now til SEMA 2012, I will be posting here my build process... Pretty much from a stripped chassis to show/track ready RX-7. This is almost 10 years of making in which that I been collecting parts for about that long... and how things comes around in full circle. So, please check often as I'll be posting detail process of this build.

Now to my build!

Friday Nov. 4th, 2011 - It was my last day at SEMA 2011 in Vegas, talking to some of my sponsors and checking out the cars at SEMA. But my main goal was to find a vendor/sponsor who will show my "Last RX-7" next year. After talking to few, I approached my sponsor Disc Brakes Australia (http://www.dba.com.au/) who graciously supported me in the past with my other RX-7 and RX-8. I had this 5-10 minute spill all lined up and asked the owner of DBA about my car being at their booth next year. After 2 sentences out of my mouth, owner said, "Sure!". I didn't know what to say at that point.. I think I just mumbled on and finished pitching the car even though I already got an OK from the owner. He said, he will love to have the car and right and there, my dream of building a car to SEMA has begun!!!

Sunday Nov. 6th, 2011 - I flew back to Birmingham, AL day before and I got sick. This is the day I'm heading to New Orleans, LA to pick up my rolling chassis to begin my "Last RX-7" project. I was pretty sick in the morning where I went into UAB Hospital ER to make sure I was ok to travel. They gave me some antibiotic and I decided to head down there to pick up this 1993 Red RX-7. With help from a good friend John Lewis and loaner trailer from my best friend Leo Huang, we drove to New Orleans to pick up the FD.

And here it is!

Thanks to my friends in New Orleans, Jack and Jonathan from Gorilla RE (www.GorillaRE.com) I got the car loaded and then we went out to eat

Monday Nov. 7th, 2011 - We left New Orleans and headed back to Bham to drop off the car at my friend Walker Morgan's shop. He is by far the most professional and best fabricator in town. His skills are by far the best I have seen and he himself have worked on several SEMA cars and such. His company webiste is: www.mpfab.com

Car leaving New Orleans

At Walker's Shop! www.mpfab.com
Herblenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
OMGz Turbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3108

My Ride:
01' WS6..That whistles...01' Explorer 5.slow

LOL I FREAKING KNEW IT! I have that modified issue im like...i know that car....And its awesome

Sick collection bro

NO ONE CARES ABOUT BEING TTT APPROVED
OMGz Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
c7scayman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9644

Never heard of the Eunos Cosmo. Looks cool.
13 MK6 GTI 2020 - Current
c7scayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
Awesome collection, can't wait to see where ya go with this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

Awesome and sick collection of roataries...

That is some pride and dedication to stick it through with rotaries all those years..

I loved mine for quite some time..
|Nikon|
Twitter:
SvicksTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
davin
Tri-State Addict

Member #21791

Look forward to meeting you at DGRR.

APONOUT?

davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Herblenny
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #22253

My Ride:
1993 Mazda RX7

Awesome! You'll have a good time at DGRR and I believe good number of people are heading down from tri-state area.

Anyhow, bit more update...

Wednesday, Nov. 9th, 2011 - Been searching for my missing parts and trying to put my engine together so we can test fit it in the car.

Here is my 20B/3 Rotor, built D series engine. Engine was built by my builder Luis Canizales. I consider him to be one of the top builders in the country.

Test fitting the motor mounts.

Different flanges for the manifold.. trying to decide which ones to use.

Ready to transport!

Wednesday Nov. 16th, 2011 - I was going to install the engine earlier, but due to rain, I didn't get to until now.. I decided to delete PS, AC.. So, I used Mavel manual rack to install the 20B.

In the engine bay!

Old 12-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
OMGz Turbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3108

My Ride:
01' WS6..That whistles...01' Explorer 5.slow

So whats the advantage of a 3 rotor over a regular rotary? I was never into these cars...All i know is they sound crazy up high in the RPMs

Now a 3 rotor has how much of a horsepower/displacement gain over the original. Are you turboing or naturally aspirated

NO ONE CARES ABOUT BEING TTT APPROVED
OMGz Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Herblenny
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #22253

My Ride:
1993 Mazda RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGz Turbo View Post
So whats the advantage of a 3 rotor over a regular rotary? I was never into these cars...All i know is they sound crazy up high in the RPMs

Now a 3 rotor has how much of a horsepower/displacement gain over the original. Are you turboing or naturally aspirated
3 rotor increases displacement by another 33% (1.3 to 2.0). The engine 3 rotor/20B came from a car called Eunos Cosmo (I posted pic of it on post #1), a luxury brand of Mazda (like Lexus or Acura). Cosmo 20B was the most expensive Mazda in the history of Mazda.. back when (1990-1995), it was sold for over 60K USD. It was also first in automotive world for 3 rotor engine, central touch screen navi/climate control, seq. twin turbo, etc.

Regarding power, this is the engine that won twice in Daytona 24hr (same short block with different compression rotors) and NHRA 3 rotor drag cars. HP potential is over 1000 and because of its displacement you gain quite a bit of torque.

I'll be doing force induction...

Update

December 6th, 2011 I got a call from my fabricator and he said he checked on the pricing for the Stainless 321 and going to order some for the new manifold set up. This means, my old SS 321 manifold with Racing Beat header flange is for sale!!! If you are interested let me know

Here are pics of my old flange set up!

Here are the pics and placement of the turbo.. Turbonetic T76 BB.

In the car with Hinson 20B /Pettit Subframe with this manifold with Garret T76 with T4 Undivided flange.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
laser92dsm
Tri-State Addict

Member #14720

My Ride:
gets me from point A to point B

Send a message via AIM to laser92dsm
Wow! You have such dedication. I have always been curious about rx-7's I have always wanted a clean T2 FC, but that is easier said than found. I will be watching this thread a lot and I cant wait to see the progress. Good luck with the car!

1987 Toyota Supra
laser92dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
davin
Tri-State Addict

Member #21791

Just to put everything into perspective, dropping a 3 rotor into an FD is $40,000.00 on average.

davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
Herblenny
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #22253

My Ride:
1993 Mazda RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser92dsm View Post
Wow! You have such dedication. I have always been curious about rx-7's I have always wanted a clean T2 FC, but that is easier said than found. I will be watching this thread a lot and I cant wait to see the progress. Good luck with the car!
Finding a clean 2nd gen or 3rd gen is a task... especially since these cars are 20 years old or older for 2nd gens. But that being said, finding a clean unmolested on do happen. My SSM FD is 93, black interior, with only 32K miles with mint original paint (I'll most more about this car later). So, things are out there.. but you need to be patient and willing to pay if you find it

More update.. getting close to today's update ;)

December 8th, 2011 - My fabricator/friend Walker Morgan has explain to me how he was going to build the new 20B manifold. We've decided to use bit more expensive, 321 Stainless for the new manifold. I'm excited to see how its going to turn out!! Until then, I need to start working on the wiring for the car..

Here is a translated DSSC wiring diagram... Only one in the WORLD!!!

Also, I realized I didn't mention much about my engine...

20B/3 Rotor is from a last year made Eunos Cosmo which each engine is stamped with a letter and a number. Earlier series are just numbers and last series starts with letter "D". This one is the later more stronger motor.
I actually bought this short block several years ago from Hector Gonzales, former NHRA modified class racer in Miami. He was going to use this engine to build his drag car but ended up selling it because of some financial issues.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
lepichichi
Tri-State Addict

Member #15232

My Ride:
RotAry :)

This is sick, Good luck on the build man.

lepichichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
renn
Tri-State Addict

Member #13821

vr rx-7's ftw!
renn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
Herblenny
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #22253

My Ride:
1993 Mazda RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by renn View Post
vr rx-7's ftw!
LOL! Its not going to stay VR... unfortunately
Old 12-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #16
02vwgolf
Tri-State Addict

Member #14555

My Ride:
02 VW Golf

You clearly are very experienced when it comes to rx-7s... cant wait to see how this turns out!!!
02vwgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #17
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

oh damn 3 rotor, nice!!

This should be good, ill be watching for sure!
|Nikon|
Twitter:
SvicksTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #18
one8turbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6018

My Ride:
'11 wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Just to put everything into perspective, dropping a 3 rotor into an FD is $40,000.00 on average.
What does that $40k cover? just curious
Old 12-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
Herblenny
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #22253

My Ride:
1993 Mazda RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by one8turbo View Post
What does that $40k cover? just curious
Hmm.. Cost will vary pending how you obtain your engine, what you are going to do, what you are going to run, etc... I've seen low as 15K + car to over 100K.

Update.

December 9th, 2011 - Today, I was thinking about stripping my MB FD and start thinking about what I'm going to do to the exterior of the car... I started looking over some old builds I did and thought about turning my MB to what my Blk FD last looked..

My 1st FD / my 'black fd' and how it last looked in my possession..

I'm going to start parting out the MB this weekend!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #20
02vwgolf
Tri-State Addict

Member #14555

My Ride:
02 VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herblenny View Post
Hmm.. Cost will vary pending how you obtain your engine, what you are going to do, what you are going to run, etc... I've seen low as 15K + car to over 100K.

Update.

December 9th, 2011 - Today, I was thinking about stripping my MB FD and start thinking about what I'm going to do to the exterior of the car... I started looking over some old builds I did and thought about turning my MB to what my Blk FD last looked..

My 1st FD / my 'black fd' and how it last looked in my possession..

I'm going to start parting out the MB this weekend!!!
HOLY **** THIS IS INCREDIBLE... IF THIS IS WHAT YOUR OLD CAR LOOKED LIKE I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THIS DONE
02vwgolf is offline   Reply With Quote