TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

2005 Sonic Blue Mustang GT - New Parts Installed

After my 2008 Mustang GT met an untimely demise on NJMP's Lightning circuit in the rain at a track day in April and was declared totaled in May, I started shopping for a replacement car. After researching and test driving different cars, looking at the cost of maintenance, upkeep and preparation for track day events, and other things, I decided to get another '05'-09 S197 Mustang GT.

I bought this one locally and found it on Autotrader. It is a 2005 Sonic Blue Mustang GT with Dark Charcoal interior and 39,000 miles on the odometer.

The car was owned by a local small town police officer, however, he had a few issues with owning it. Every time he floored it, there would be calls to the local police station about one of its officers driving like a nut, so he had to drive it around like he was driving Miss Daisy. When he was wearing his belt with holster, cuffs, and other items, he didn't fit comfortably in the seat because things on his belt would hit the center console and door. Also, its a car that is easy to recognize, so he wasn't comfortable with leaving it parked somewhere because he thought that someone he arrested or gave a citation to may vandalize the car.

I purchased it with the following modifications already installed:
  • 4.10 ring & pinion which replaced the stock 3.55 ring & pinion
  • Hurst short throw shifter
  • cold air intake
  • Bassani X-pipe
  • SLP stainless steel exhaust
  • CMCV butterfly valve delete plates
  • Comp Cams Stage II NSR cams 127200
  • Steeda underdrive pullies
  • SCT Xcal3 tuner with custom tunes
  • Nitto 555 Tires 25540-17 front 275/40-17 rear on stock 17x8" wheels
  • Tubular rear lower control arms
  • Tokiko front struts
It also feels like it has an aftermarket clutch, but the person I'm buying it from is the second owner and he doesn't know what clutch the first owner put in the car.
The previous owner also removed his FOP sticker from the window before he sold it.

Planned modifications are:
  • FRPP Front hubs with ARP wheel studs - Purchased & Installed
  • ARP rear wheel studs - Purchased & Installed
  • open ended lug nuts - Purchased & Installed
  • Koni Sport(Yellow) shocks - Purchased & Installed
  • Steeda Competition springs - Purchased & Installed
  • Steeda Camber plates - Purchased & Installed
  • DBA 4000 series brake rotors - Purchased & Installed
  • Lambert Automotive brake cooling ducts
  • Carbotech XP10 Front brake pads - Purchased & Installed
  • Carbotech XP8 rear brake pads - Purchased & Installed
  • Kooks custom stainless steel headers with high flow cats and X pipe - Purchased & Installed
  • Replace the Hurst short shifter with a MGW short shifter - Purchased & Installed
  • Speed Bleeders - Purchased & Installed
  • Prothane Motor Mounts to replace the stock worn motor mounts - Purchased & Installed
  • Pypes mandrel bent over axle pipes - Purchased & Installed
  • Maximum motorsports 4 point roll bar with removable harness bar
  • Detroit Truetrac Differential
  • 6 point harnesses
  • Aluminum driveshaft
  • Driveshaft safety loop
  • 18x10" wheels with 265/35-18 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires for dry track use - Already have
  • 18x8.5" wheels with 255/45-18 Continental DWS tires for street use and rain use on the track - Already have
Production data for this car's model year shows the following:
Its 1 of 9,094 Sonic Blue Mustangs made in 2005 and one of 1,920 manual transmission Mustangs GT's made in Sonic Blue for 2005. Sonic blue was only available in 2005 on that body style Mustang.

As a side note, Ford announced they are bringing back Sonic Blue as an optional color for Mustangs in the 2012 model year due to paint supply problems from Japan. Because of everything that happened in Japan, the Black with metal flake is not available for 2012.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Chris B.; 05-08-2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Updated info
Chris B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

I see you already ordered the MGW shifter, awesome. Still can't believe I got to drive this car. I really love it and I can't wait to see what you do with it on the track.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Last edited by Ender81; 05-29-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Teku18
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4895

My Ride:
2014 WRB BRZ, 1992 SVX

Send a message via AIM to Teku18
Nice. How much of your old stuff did you keep from the totaled car?
Quote:
yes this is ok with me, obviously but when someone is paying and i plasma their fender open and then duct tape it shut they might get upset while i am laughing.
Teku18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekuDrifter18 View Post
Nice. How much of your old stuff did you keep from the totaled car?
I kept the eject button and the stock wheels & tires. The track day insurance paid me for the mods that were on the previous car.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
sleeperSL2
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8422

Send a message via AIM to sleeperSL2
Congrats! I prefer blue over red anyway

Kyle
sleeperSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
I see six-point harnesses and a roll bar but no seats. What gives?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:44 AM   #7
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Insulin? View Post
I see six-point harnesses and a roll bar but no seats. What gives?
I want to keep my side impact airbags since I drive this on the street and its not a track only car. So my options are to get the BOSS 302 seats through FRPP for somewhere around $1100-$1500+ a seat(no price has been released yet) or use the stock seats. Most people use the stock seats with 6 point harnesses if its a daily driver.

The ~$3,000 for the BOSS 302 LS seats could be better spent elsewhere, but they do look sweet and they really are comfortable.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
cmr076
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2319

My Ride:
S4

Send a message via AIM to cmr076
excellent! and you probably MADE money I would think buying a modded car AND getting paid for the mods on your old car you will not have to buy again!
cmr076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
Looks good. In for future updates.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:20 AM   #10
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
Congrats Chris! I love those wheels.

Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Twice now I've driven this car, I think it's part of Chris's plan to convert me to a Mustang owner lol.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:33 AM   #12
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

I have to see this thing. I've been thinking about 4.10s but don't know anyone who has them to see how actually streatable they are. Also was thinking of a NSR cam while I save up for a second set of heads to get ported so I can go with a larger cam.

Love the color also. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw that color on a 3V.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #13
Erik@R/TTuning
Former Vendor

Member #17281

My Ride:
2000 MR2 Spyder

Good to hear you made out OK through insurance on the previous Stang. Best of luck with this one.
Erik@R/TTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Send a message via AIM to HickRocket1258
Great to see you kept to a mustang. Definitely don't see that color around often on that body style.

Just a mustang that's lowered.....that's about it.

Work harder....Millions on welfare depend on you!
HickRocket1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #15
JSCspeed
Vendor

Member #8792

Nice pick up! Those BOSS seats are definitely worth it!

510 Hyde Park, Doylestown, PA 18902

for industry news and deals...but mostly for the deals.

JSCspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #16
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
I have to see this thing. I've been thinking about 4.10s but don't know anyone who has them to see how actually streatable they are.
If you do a lot of 1/4 mile drag strip passes with your car on drag radials or slicks, its worth it for the launch. Otherwise, 1st gear is useless for daily driving and 5th is low enough that you turn 3000+ RPM at 80 MPH on the highway.

I'm really thinking that 3.73's are ideal for a dual purpose daily driver and track car. The 4.10 gears are a little much.

Quote:
Also was thinking of a NSR cam while I save up for a second set of heads to get ported so I can go with a larger cam.
The NSR cam seems to work out well because you don't lose low end power. I'd like to see what and intake, headers, ported heads, NSR cam and the FRPP intake manifold do for power. Without the ported heads and FRPP manifold S197's are getting 340-350+ HP at the wheels with those mods. I'm guessing 370+ to the wheels could be possible based on what I saw with other cams and those mods.

The best combination I saw for a broad power curve with no loss of low end power and plenty of high end power is the ported heads, stock manifold, and cams.

Quote:
Love the color also. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw that color on a 3V.
I agree. Its a color you don't see often. The Vista Blue seems a lot more common.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #17
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender81 View Post
Twice now I've driven this car, I think it's part of Chris's plan to convert me to a Mustang owner lol.
I think the car is trying to convert you.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #18
Slevin
Tri-State Addict

Member #19794

congrats man, stay safe
Slevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #19
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Good stuff man! x2 on blue vs red. ;)

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #20
fullboost99ex
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #14369

My Ride:
05 rsx type s

bump and thanks again for the help
fullboost99ex is offline   Reply With Quote