TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
1996 EK Hatch - High HP Kseries Drag Build (IT RUNS! Vid page 19)

Troll suggested I make a dedicated thread for the hatch, so here it is.

For reference back to what I've already accomplished with this car, and a good portion of the story to how it got to this point, please reference my main thread here.

Sov's Cars and Projects

Goal - 700-800whp, 9 second 1/4 mile.

Me and going dual cam is long overdue, it's going to be really weird surpassing what took me 4 years with a Dseries with just pump gas and low boost on this build.

I'm starting with a block that came straight out of a 2007 Honda Civic Si (K20Z3). There is some form of damage on cylinder 4. I have yet to open the block up because I'm waiting for my engine stand to come in (Christmas present/on backorder). Once I do I'll be able to assess the damage, but the plan is for rods/pistons anyway so at worst it will be a simple small overbore and that'll be that.

Order of Operations (Order in which I lose all my money.)

Step 1: Build Block

Need to tear it down, at least get the rods and pistons out. I need to get chain guides, tensioner, timing chain, crank pulley, timing covers, and water pump. This will just be the stock stuff (except for tensioner), I learned a long time ago that Honda builds engines quite well mechanically. (These engines bone stock will do over 600).

-STOCK SLEEVES <-- read that carefully, and yes they will hold just fine.

-Wiseco pistons (~10:1)
-Eagle Rods
-New OEM Rod Bearings (again, no need to get ACL/Clevite/etc)

Step 2: Build Head - CHECK

-K20A2 head
-Clean up port job
-Stock A2 cams for now
-Supertech dual valve springs
-Supertech Ti retainers
-Stock Valves
-ARP Head Studs

Step 3: Transmission

For now, the transmission will be pretty simple. I will then upgrade things as I can.

-Base RSX 5 speed
-CC Twin disc
-Mfactory LSD
-Whatever axles I can make fit for now (I like having weak axles, they break and are cheap to replace, vs transmission stuff which is not).
-Scatter Shield (the thick metal plate that helps to contain and exploded, expensive, twin disc if that were to ever occur).

Step 4: Complete the full swap

-Wiring Harness
-Shift box/cables
-Innovative Solid Billet Mounts ;)
-K-PRO ECU

I'm not about to spend like $350 on a wiring conversion harness. I will do all of that myself. Car will likely also receive a brake line tuck (gives me more room) and full cleanup and spray of the bay. Not sure I care to shave it though, we'll see.

Step 5: Fabricate Entire Turbo Setup

-Make sidewinder divided manifold, dual wastegate.
-Precision 6766 Billet Journal Bearing Turbo - T4 divided 1.00AR/Vband 3 5/8" out
-4" exhaust.
-Twin Tial 38mm MVS, dual 1.75" dumps with exhaust.
-Building intake manifold.
-1000hp A2A core, mount and fabricate endtanks
-3" IC piping
-TiAL BOV

Step 6: Fuel System

Dual Bosch 044 (Possibly Weldon pump)
2000CC injectors
8AN feed/6AN return
Normal FPR/Fuel Rail setup.

Not really sure if I'm going to build my own fuel cell and go with a sump setup, or just work from the stock tank yet. Also don't know if I'm going to stay E85 or switch back over to gas and C16. Depends on when I max those injectors, I refuse to buy $1000 ID2000s.

Step 7: Finish odds-ends/Tune/Track

Finish up whatever I need to in the setup.
Tune the car (will likely travel up to see Derek at Innovative Motorsports who has always offered help in my ridiculous endeavors).
Take it to the track and break ****. Fix. Continue to run slow times. Learn something. Run faster. Break more. Fix. Rinse repeat until I finally get kicked out lol.

Eventual Plans

-To go 9s, I will need to add to my current 6pt. I won't be doing this until I go too fast. Once I do, I will be doing the rest of the cage myself. May also need a chute? I will have to look more into this when the time comes.

-Front end change. I will probably be going with the common three piece front ends that you see on a lot of drag cars. This will allow me to tuck my slicks behind the fenders and be a lot more aerodynamic, which is nice. Till then, car will just have to look like crap.

-Suspension overhaul. The Koni/Grounds were great for street driving, but it will likely be changing to a drag setup. This is fairly low on the list.

-PPG Gearset... yeah kinda just dreaming on that one.

-Cutting out more weight (doors, lexan, etc) and probably creating a diffuser under the rear bumper.

Love how it sounds so easy saying it. Oh well, I'll figure it out. To be continued! (obviously).

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.

Last edited by SovXietday; 10-24-2013 at 07:27 PM.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
jen.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7345

My Ride:
'07 si coupe!

Send a message via AIM to jen.
SO EXCITED! You've got a motor coming from the best car/year. But I'm clearly very biased so my opinion doesn't really count. But still, so excited!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Quote:
^I admit, Kevin makes a compelling argument.
jen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
sleeper15
Tri-State Addict

Member #14620

My Ride:
08 Civic Mugen SI, 08 S2000 CR

where's the like button?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

sleeper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
sleeperSL2
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8422

Send a message via AIM to sleeperSL2
In for awesomeness

Kyle
sleeperSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
Sick stuff, Glad you started a new build thread for the K-series.

Thing I'm most interested in is your building your own Intake manifold? Would love to see a left side feed, or better yet a bottom/center feed like so - http://www.haywardperformance.com/ ...You should be able to salvage your current fmic and avoid harsh bends in piping..

What about oil pump? The modified S2K from ERL?

As for the injectors, You should write up a proposal to ID (or any vendors selling it) for sponsorship, even partial. A simple collection of vid's, pics, time slips, and link's to your build thread/s showing them your sh*t's getting sweated might do the trick. Hell, you should be doing it for all parts! DEI sent me free stuff from my proposal just for being featured in SCC in 04, Kartboy too, and Titan sent me headers 50% off (granted I emailed like 150 companies) it does work.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
ricky2i5
Tri-State Addict

Member #9510

My Ride:
11 outlander

Send a message via AIM to ricky2i5
I dig Kseries hatches

In for this build

Quote:
it doesnt make any sense? Why does she have a huuuuge boner and why is she scrubbing the floor with it?
ricky2i5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
JST2KWIK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6855

My Ride:
2021 Ram TRX, 2014 Camaro Z/28, 2017 Shelby GT350, 1991 Mercedes 350SDL

WOW this is going to be sick! Can't wait to see some progress
JST2KWIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
jen.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7345

My Ride:
'07 si coupe!

Send a message via AIM to jen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovXietday View Post
T
Step 3: Transmission

For now, the transmission will be pretty simple. I will then upgrade things as I can.

-K20A3 5 speed
-CC Twin disc
-Mfactory LSD?
-Whatever axles I can make fit for now (I like having weak axles, they break and are cheap to replace, vs transmission stuff which is not).
-Scatter Shield (the thick metal plate that helps to contain and exploded, expensive, twin disc if that were to ever occur).
Aaron, I forgot to mention, this is the best idea ever. I mean, I know you already know, but the K series 6 speed trannys are no beuno. Can't wait to see how this works out for you.

Quote:
^I admit, Kevin makes a compelling argument.
jen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
Asif22
Tri-State Addict

Member #5682

My Ride:
2008 Honda S2000 CR

Send a message via AIM to Asif22
Amazing. I really liked your single cam build. For the trans look into jotech. He rain 11.3 stock motor then 11.0 with a z3 trans. He said it was shimmed and cryotreated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stS-7HAMSFY
Old 12-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proven View Post
Sick stuff, Glad you started a new build thread for the K-series.

Thing I'm most interested in is your building your own Intake manifold? Would love to see a left side feed, or better yet a bottom/center feed like so - http://www.haywardperformance.com/ ...You should be able to salvage your current fmic and avoid harsh bends in piping..

What about oil pump? The modified S2K from ERL?

As for the injectors, You should write up a proposal to ID (or any vendors selling it) for sponsorship, even partial. A simple collection of vid's, pics, time slips, and link's to your build thread/s showing them your sh*t's getting sweated might do the trick. Hell, you should be doing it for all parts! DEI sent me free stuff from my proposal just for being featured in SCC in 04, Kartboy too, and Titan sent me headers 50% off (granted I emailed like 150 companies) it does work.
Plan on building a center feed IM, so I can go backdoor off the IC. I need to change out my IC though, I don't think my core can support my goals. At least, I should say that I don't know, and therefore don't trust it.

As for the oil pump, just going to use the Z3. Clean it up and port the the output hole so that it's less prone to cavitation and I have full faith in it. Considering I'm spinning a weaksauce Dseries pump to the moon as is, I don't think I'll have an issue with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif22 View Post
Amazing. I really liked your single cam build. For the trans look into jotech. He rain 11.3 stock motor then 11.0 with a z3 trans. He said it was shimmed and cryotreated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stS-7HAMSFY
Thanks man! I'm still looking into trans options, but I remember seeing someone who had some interesting treatments that had made quite a difference in gear strength. We'll see what I can find when I get there.

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to get started!

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
saxon
Tri-State Addict

Member #21656

My Ride:
2015 m3

with that much power you will have a hard time finding a transmission that will hold it unless you go with a dog box

anything over 500whp and its a coinflip if it will last that pass or not

shaun at IMW in Carlisle is really well versed with those transmissions and he is the one i had check over my K trans and install the quaife

looks like a nice build and power shouldnt be a problem, only thing i dont understand is why your going with a 2.0 instead of the 2.4
saxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
speedooo
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5495

My Ride:
ketchup's mom

Send a message via AIM to speedooo
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon View Post
with that much power you will have a hard time finding a transmission that will hold it unless you go with a dog box

shaun at IMW in Carlisle is really well versed with those transmissions and he is the one i had check over my K trans and install the quaife

looks like a nice build and power shouldnt be a problem, only thing i dont understand is why your going with a 2.0 instead of the 2.4
This...
speedooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon View Post

Ideally I would love to go with a PPG dogbox, but I could go through 10 stock transmissions at that price. I can afford to break a stock trans with an LSD, I can't afford to break a PPG box. I am well versed in transmissions, my Dseries has a one of a kind transmission with LSD that I put together, so I'll address the issue when I start breaking stuff.

As for the 2.0, a few reasons really.
-I'd have to sleeve a 2.4, the walls are too thin to support the power.
-2.4 limits how high I can rev the engine. This means I will have a smaller powerband and a probably not enough RPM to get the MPH out of 4th gear.
-2.0 block is free, 2.4L is not lol.

Quote:
Old 12-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
justinlansdale
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4286

My Ride:
old BMW & obnoxious bike(s)

Send a message via AIM to justinlansdale
I'm thinking that you should let me photo-document your entire build for you!

//
justinlansdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #15
civictype_r
Tri-State Addict

Member #3449

My Ride:
2004 Civic Si

Can't wait till you get this build going dude!!!

/
/
civictype_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

I'm thinking that you absolutely should, haha.

Quote:
Old 12-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #17
Asif22
Tri-State Addict

Member #5682

My Ride:
2008 Honda S2000 CR

Send a message via AIM to Asif22
I'd rather have the 2.0 too. I wish I had a 2.0 in my ap2 instead of the 2.2. I just love to rev and the F22 has too much stroke
Old 12-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #18
boostedfury
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1389

My Ride:
99 Z51 Corvette & 2003 Explorer XLT

Send a message via AIM to boostedfury
in for all the madness!

boostedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #19
tigasTT
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #21356

My Ride:
8thgen SI

Subd..
tigasTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:19 AM   #20
jesse096
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17203

My Ride:
2002 Chevy Silverado, 2003 BMW 330i ZHP 6 speed

So in for this!

-Jesse
a ****ing space ship. next level transportation maneuver. **** 4 wheels son, im airborne.
Quote:
So, chinese food sprinkled with crack.... does that make you hungrier quicker bc you'll be tweaking from crack sprinkles? lol.
jesse096 is offline   Reply With Quote