TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-10-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
GeforceXtreme
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #367

My Ride:
2000 Buick Regal GSE

Send a message via AIM to GeforceXtreme
Buying a car out of state? I live in PA but buying from NJ

Well guys, some of you may know I am buying an 86 Camaro IROC-Z (information in the link) http://tristatetuners.com/viewtopic.php?t=1945. Anyway I want to be ready to drive up there, and if everthing works out pay for the car and drive it home that day. Now the guy told me up in NJ they don't do notaries with the cars unlike how we do it here in PA. He said he would only have to sign the title over for the car to me and I could take the car. Now I want to drive this car home to my house in PA. What would I need to do so I can drive this car home? I know I can get like a Temporary 30 day license plate but can I get it for myself to put into the Camaro or does he have too? He said they don't do those up in NJ as well? This is my first time buying my first car out of state so don't really know for sure what I need to do? I am planned to go up Friday to look and get the car, so I hope I have enough time before hand to make calls to have everything ready.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- "Gods Grocery Getter is powered by an L67 3800"
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

12.900 @ 109.91mph 2.166 60Ft (Fastest 1/4)
13.374 @ 110.01mph 2.467 60Ft (Fastest Trap)
GeforceXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
LSHatch
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #260

My Ride:
G3Fizzle

Send a message via AIM to LSHatch
If no one gets back to you tonight, I'll let you know tomorrow. My manager is in the exact same process as you. Bringing a car from NJ, to PA. I know he talked to the NJ DMV yesterday. I'll see what they had to say.

LSHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
sfd
Tri-State Addict

Member #405

My Ride:
2014 Jeep Cherokee

As far as I understand it, you will need to either a) get the title in jersey THEN go to a tag place in PA or b) go directly to PA to do the title transfer.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:06 PM   #4
GeforceXtreme
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #367

My Ride:
2000 Buick Regal GSE

Yeah I really hope I can just tell him to sign the title over for the car and I can just drive the car home the same day. I hate to have to go get a paper, drive all the way back to Pa, then all the way back to get the car. Like to make it one trip if possible. I am going to find out if I can get a 30 day Temp license or just use my current license plate on the car as of right now to just drive the car home. Only issue with this is, the license plate is under my other car and not the camaro.... :thumbdow:

-

Old 05-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
capaGC8
Tri-State Addict

Member #329

just do what i did when i bought my car from NY - use tags from your state... i doubt you'll get pulled over, I drove from queens to south jersey (nj turnpike), but if you do, show them the title for the car.

so... just do it at night
capaGC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:24 PM   #6
TehWagon
The Calendar Master

Member #34

My Ride:
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon MBP

Send a message via AIM to TehWagon
I also am still going thru this process. What i was told by both PA and NJ motor vehicle agencies is that you have to take the title which has been signed over to you to the NJ DMV/MVC/whatever the heck its called these days, and get what are called 'transit tags'... you then take it back to PA and do the whole registration/liscensing deal.
Hope this helps - i hate this process man, it's a PITA!
~Ashley *formerly CarWidow* {TST Orig No. 34 / HP#002}
{{{---MPIBTY

My favorite wagon quote:
Quote:
I needed to both haul stuff and haul arse.
TehWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:37 PM   #7
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

Send a message via AIM to teh DIRT
i bought a car from jersey. get the title sent to you with the appropriate lines signed by the seller. take it to a notary and get it put in your name. they will give you a tag, and temp registration. then go get the car and put the stuff on. drive it back worry free.
-pete
Old 05-10-2005, 08:51 PM   #8
Gohan
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #437

My Ride:
2006 Impreza 2.5i

Send a message via ICQ to Gohan Send a message via AIM to Gohan Send a message via MSN to Gohan Send a message via Yahoo to Gohan
pete, you make it sound so simple....you have to remember; this is jersey we're talking about, there's bound to be some kind of fcuk up that they can manage!
Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:15 PM   #9
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

Send a message via AIM to teh DIRT
no...its that easy.

but then again...its in NJ
Old 05-11-2005, 12:15 AM   #10
capaGC8
Tri-State Addict

Member #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWidow
i hate this process man, it's a PITA!
see my post above...
capaGC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:39 AM   #11
Aaron
Tri-State Addict

Member #185

Send a message via AIM to Aaron
Its not that bad. Jersey sucks for insurance and some traffic laws, this doesn't effect the majority of you anyway.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:37 AM   #12
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

Just make sure the signature is notarized...hugest hump to get over, unless you know someone at the tag place. Once its signed and notarized, its yours...not hard at all, transferring a car from ny/nj to pa is easy. You and him just have to go to a notary in NJ and get it signed.

abat's liberty auto tags will treat you like **** if you don't have it notarized, get it done right so you don't have to put up with those kinda assholes

2013 Nissan Juke, 1.6T/Auto/FWD (wife's car lol
)
Intercooled T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:40 PM   #13
GeforceXtreme
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #367

My Ride:
2000 Buick Regal GSE

OK here is the update. I called Triple A (AAA) and they told me that I would need to bring them the signed over title of the car AND ALSO have the car there. They said I could however get the VIN number and the miles off the car without the car being there. But I need to somehow rub the VIN number off the car onto a piece of paper. I thought the VIN numbers on these cars were behind the front window? How the heck am I supposed to get that? lol. So it sounds like most likely the car has to be at AAA in PA.
Now the car its self doesn't have a license plate on the car. So i would have to get some type of license plate on temp license plate on the car so I could drive it home. Now there are 2 ways I can think of, I can put my license plate on the car and drive the car home. However the PA license plate is setup under my original car, the stickers on the front windshield are NJ (and maybe expired need to find out), and the car will still be registered to the original owner (i am driving the car to PA to AAA). That maybe a bad idea because I have to drive awhile though NJ and PA and if I get pulled over, can't they take the car from me? The other option I may have is, get my buddy with a tow-truck to tow the car back to PA or have the original owner tow the car to PA to do the paper work?

Now I saw you guys post some ways of doing this. Can I go up there Friday, buy the car, pay the guy, sign over title to me, then go to some place in NJ to get a temporary license plate/transit plate? Then drive the car back to PA to deal with the registration???? This is driving me freaking crazy. I just want to drive the car back, WHILE making it legal to do so.... If you guys can clear this up for me.. I am still confused lol. I am going to call NJ DMV tomorrow to find out more. I am going crazy here.

Yeah I read over once again everything everyone posted, some of you are saying I do all the work in NJ, some are saying half in NJ, half in PA, and then I was told I do all the work in PA? The car is in NJ now and needs to be setup in PA... I hope that helps rofl... I hope someone can shed some light on this topic. I hope to go up friday, but the car and take it home Friday night, then deal with paperwork Saturday in PA here.

-

Old 05-12-2005, 02:53 AM   #14
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

Get a ride to NJ, bring license plate off celebrity

Find Notary in NJ close to seller

You and him go to notary, exchange money, sign title over, get signed by notary

Put license plate on camaro

Drive it home, take to auto tag place, give them title, pay $110-130 for temporary registration/new plate

You'll get new registration in 3-6weeks

DONE

)
Old 05-12-2005, 07:10 AM   #15
TehWagon
The Calendar Master

Member #34

My Ride:

I meant it's a PITA if you do it legally. To the best of my knowledge, you can't take tags off another car to put on the new one.
Don't know if I'm close to seller, but i am a notary ;)
Unfortunately AAA does not offer temp tag services in NJ b/c of the stewpid DMV not wanting to partner with them. :thumbdow:
O and don't most cars have a metal plate with risen VIN numbers that u could rub off onto a piece of paper?
Yea i know you are getting some conflicting advice here, but i am going thru precisely the same situation currently. Buyer is in PA, my truck is registered here in Jersey, and that's what makes the difference. My best advice is to get a second opinion from the people that matter- the DMV. Good luck!
{{{---MPIBTY

My favorite wagon quote:
Quote:
Old 05-12-2005, 11:34 AM   #16
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

Slip a piece of paper in the front windshield over the vin number and take a pencil, rub it on the paper...easy

)
Old 05-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #17
GeforceXtreme
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #367

My Ride:
2000 Buick Regal GSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercooled T
Get a ride to NJ, bring license plate off celebrity

Find Notary in NJ close to seller

You and him go to notary, exchange money, sign title over, get signed by notary

Put license plate on camaro

Drive it home, take to auto tag place, give them title, pay $110-130 for temporary registration/new plate

You'll get new registration in 3-6weeks

DONE
I have a question. I will be swaping my license plate off my current car and keeping it on the camaro. When I go back to a auto tag place in PA here (AAA), I can just tell them to transfer my registration from my current car to the Camaro right?

Also can I have the car towed to AAA in pa and have the title transfer done there? Or do I have to do it in PA? AAA told me that as long as the car was there with the VIN number and the amount of miles, they could do it? So at this point I will either have the car towed to PA to have all the work done there or if the car is back together enough to drive it.. will do the work in NJ.

Another thing I found out is the car has no Cat on it.. I guessing the guy removed it. I hope he will be able to put it back on for me because I don't have any connections with getting stuff welded. Does anyone know anyone that could weld a Cat back on for me? If so I might as well just get an exhaust system for the car. The reason I need to put the Cat back on it.. the car is coming from NJ, and because of having NJ stickers, don't I need to take teh car and get it inspected and have emissions done on it? How long do I have after getting the car do I need to have this done? The problem I am facing is that the car was a project car.. so its really not completly back together. Maybe I should just deal with the Title of the car being signed over to me, then after I get the car fully back together, go over and get the registration setup on the car?

-

Old 05-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #18
SilverTurboRidin
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #197

Send a message via AIM to SilverTurboRidin Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurboRidin
you can go anywhere and get a cat put on..
Now it's a war you ain't on the side wit me
SilverTurboRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #19
GeforceXtreme
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #367

My Ride:
2000 Buick Regal GSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurboRidin
you can go anywhere and get a cat put on..
Yeah that is true, but like to see if someone has a buddy that can do it for me. I few places I have gone to, to get exhaust work done, they have ripped me a new one in the price of doing exhaust work... its not funny.

-

Old 05-12-2005, 03:52 PM   #20
TehWagon
The Calendar Master

Member #34

My Ride:

I don't want to speak before my turn, but i think Ivan (jasterm5)is/has a welder...
I don't know camaro's that well but is there only one cat and is it in a fairly easily replaceable pipe? (i.e.; in my car, if you just get the stock downpipe back on, that has the cat automatically in it)... hope i'm not coming off as car dumb as i really am!
{{{---MPIBTY

My favorite wagon quote:
Quote: