TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Honda / Acura Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Paul
Tri-State Addict

Member #7943

My Ride:
03' BMW M3, 09' CBR600RR

Best engine swap for a 93 prelude

ok so i might be trading my 2000 ford focus lx for a 93 honda prelude its the non vtec one so i wanna do a swap and well i have no idea what to stick in there i have about 1.5k i was saving for a car but since i might be doing a straight trade i wanna put all that into the car any suggestions?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
WRX_JB
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1907

My Ride:
2005 Wrx

Send a message via AIM to WRX_JB
H22 , b16?

other dudes will prob explain alot more then me , honda knowledge kinda low... GL with it

-AWD Civic 91' - Sold -2000 Cavalier -Sold
-2005 Wrx
Member Profile-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Weekly Meet (Oaks) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by WRX_JB; 06-20-2008 at 01:29 PM.
WRX_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Action Park
Tri-State Addict

Member #2802

My Ride:
bug and a rabbit

Might not be worth the hassle unless you have bigger plans in the long run and you would ideally have a bigger budget than 1.5k from the get-go, but I think your two viable options are an h22 or an h23vtec(h23 bottom/h22 head).
93 93/93
Action Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
Thing I love about Hondas is there are sooo many engines options. Some of the cheaper (Price wise) engines to drop in would be the H22, B20, or do a LS / V-tech set up. If your in or around Phila give www.Elitejdm.com a call. They have TONS of honda engines and would be more then glad to help you with your choice and price. Ask for Anthony or Nick tell them Bob told you to give them a call.

Also you might be able to just do a Vtec head swap.. Not 100% sure though.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Easiest and most straight forward thing is to just drop a full H22A into it. When you frankenstein an engine you have to make sure that you do it correctly. Most people just put the block on the head and call it a day.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:36 AM   #6
Paul
Tri-State Addict

Member #7943

My Ride:
03' BMW M3, 09' CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Park View Post
Might not be worth the hassle unless you have bigger plans in the long run and you would ideally have a bigger budget than 1.5k from the get-go, but I think your two viable options are an h22 or an h23vtec(h23 bottom/h22 head).
93 93/93
Ya I would much rather have an mkiv supra or an m3 but with my cash as of right now I don't see any other options
Old 06-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #7
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proven View Post
Thing I love about Hondas is there are sooo many engines options. Some of the cheaper (Price wise) engines to drop in would be the H22, B20, or do a LS / V-tech set up. If your in or around Phila give www.Elitejdm.com a call. They have TONS of honda engines and would be more then glad to help you with your choice and price. Ask for Anthony or Nick tell them Bob told you to give them a call.

Also you might be able to just do a Vtec head swap.. Not 100% sure though.

^^^WIN!!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:03 AM   #8
The Captain
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3369

My Ride:
Prelude

H22 hands down. Easiest, cheapest, and can be made into a beast. 200whp can be reached with a good header (no greddy crap), exhaust (3in. has been dyno proven to make the h22 breathe best), cams, and a solid tune. If you get a jdm h22 you get the added benefit of 10.6:1 compression compared to the usdm 10.0:1 so the cam upgrade will be even better. Don't bother with a b series, anyone who tells you to go that route is crazy. The modifications needed along with the lower hp & tq make it a miserable idea. The K series is swappable (i know it's been done with a 5th gen) but requires a lot of modifications as the motors spin in opposite direction. H23vtec is another option that is doable, but again, unless you have an si, which has the h23, you have an F22, so you'll need to get an h23 block and h22 head with a lot of parts here and there and it's really not recommended for a beginner. Take my advise and go with the H22. I've been in the prelude game for quite a while so if u have any more questions, ask and i'll either be able to answer it or direct you to someone who can.

**edit: Is your car really a even swap for the prelude. If you plan on swapping, why not get a prelude with problems/blown motor for cheap. I feel like your 2000 focus is worth more than a 1993 prelude that you're just gonna swap anyways. And 1500 would really be cutting it close for an h22 swap. You can get the motor for 1500-2000 and then the additional parts u'll need will run you a little higher. You'll probably need a little more money than that unless you can get lucky and find a nice cheap h22 on craigslist or something.

- "America is all about speed - hot, nasty bad-ass speed." Eleanor Roosevelt (1965)

Last edited by The Captain; 06-20-2008 at 01:08 AM.
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:14 AM   #9
FocusDude
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6269

My Ride:
01 Focus ZX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
ok so i might be trading my 2000 ford focus lx for a 93 honda prelude its the non vtec one so i wanna do a swap and well i have no idea what to stick in there i have about 1.5k i was saving for a car but since i might be doing a straight trade i wanna put all that into the car any suggestions?
keep the focus and swap a 2.3 - nuff, said.
FocusDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #10
Paul
Tri-State Addict

Member #7943

My Ride:
03' BMW M3, 09' CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
H22 hands down. Easiest, cheapest, and can be made into a beast. 200whp can be reached with a good header (no greddy crap), exhaust (3in. has been dyno proven to make the h22 breathe best), cams, and a solid tune. If you get a jdm h22 you get the added benefit of 10.6:1 compression compared to the usdm 10.0:1 so the cam upgrade will be even better. Don't bother with a b series, anyone who tells you to go that route is crazy. The modifications needed along with the lower hp & tq make it a miserable idea. The K series is swappable (i know it's been done with a 5th gen) but requires a lot of modifications as the motors spin in opposite direction. H23vtec is another option that is doable, but again, unless you have an si, which has the h23, you have an F22, so you'll need to get an h23 block and h22 head with a lot of parts here and there and it's really not recommended for a beginner. Take my advise and go with the H22. I've been in the prelude game for quite a while so if u have any more questions, ask and i'll either be able to answer it or direct you to someone who can.

**edit: Is your car really a even swap for the prelude. If you plan on swapping, why not get a prelude with problems/blown motor for cheap. I feel like your 2000 focus is worth more than a 1993 prelude that you're just gonna swap anyways. And 1500 would really be cutting it close for an h22 swap. You can get the motor for 1500-2000 and then the additional parts u'll need will run you a little higher. You'll probably need a little more money than that unless you can get lucky and find a nice cheap h22 on craigslist or something.

its a straight trade, i would buy something but then i wouldnt even be able to put money into it and i need something that runs for now cus it would take me a long time to save up to either fix the engine or swap it as opposed to the waiting a week and paying the 1500 i have now...basically i can be without a car for about a week but no longer then that...i just need this car as a dd until i can actually finance a car in september thus turning the prelude into a project and the car im financing into a dd...its all money issues mommy and daddy dont support my addicton ahah

oh ps: the ford is an automatic 4door sedan hahahah 1 i hate fords 2 i hate automatics and 3 i hate sedans(unless theyre evos or stis n such)

oh and pss:ill definatly keep in touch about all the engine swappage and stuff i feel like im gonna need major help haha

Last edited by Paul; 06-20-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
marshallpre1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6445

My Ride:
N/A

Send a message via AIM to marshallpre1
I would prolly keep the focus for now.. save up, and get something you really want. Finance a nicer car later, keep the focus a dd. Plenty of high performance cars are getting cheaper and cheaper.
1994 SC300 5MT- NA-T- PT61/AEM V1- future track car

Last edited by marshallpre1; 06-20-2008 at 01:08 PM.
marshallpre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
pearl
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1108

My Ride:
suck it trebek

Send a message via AIM to pearl
h22 fo sho.
Last Activity: 03-24-2009 12:05 PM
pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
DC2.2GSR
Tri-State Addict

Member #5220

My Ride:
is completely stock and gets great gas mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain View Post

the man knows his s*** i'm going to love my 10.6:1 comp ratio, i know it
Old 06-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #14
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

Why in the hell are you trading a 2000 focus for a 93 prelude...?

Do you see the disparity between values here?
Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #15
ThatTealHatch
Tri-State Addict

Member #7110

Send a message via AIM to ThatTealHatch
jdm h22 and boost it. 6lbs should move that sled just fine and safe
ThatTealHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #16
Raven18940
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #686

My Ride:
2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
200whp from a 2.2? How many revs? 8? 9?

That'll been a ton of fun on the back roads, but a dog on the highway.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #17
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
PLEASE post make specific questions in their appropriate sections...

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #18
DC2.2GSR
Tri-State Addict

Member #5220

My Ride:
is completely stock and gets great gas mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven18940 View Post
200whp from a 2.2? How many revs? 8? 9?

That'll been a ton of fun on the back roads, but a dog on the highway.
8K RPM stock. by the time you have the cams and a bit of head work that's needed for 200hp, it should easily spin to 9K.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #19
h22sleeper14
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #1514

ill sell you my 93 accord coupe with h22 i it...if interested let me kno
h22sleeper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #20
messeduprex
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #7581

My Ride:
'93 Honda Civic Ferio

ther is no point in dropping any other motor than a h22 going to a b series is going to be far more expensive and i dont think they even make mounts for it because the b series uses a shift lnkage and the prelude uses cables. h22 drop in and you got many to choose from accord type-r, euro-r lude, etc.
messeduprex is offline   Reply With Quote