TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:
Does not hit mivec anymore.(DD) 06 solstice 5 speed. 84 IMSA Fiero5 speed. 87 Fiero GT 5 speed

i_ride_fieroGT's original DGP IMSA Fiero

Make: Pontiac
Model: Fiero
year:84
Trim: came asn an SE.
Engine: What engine? (used to be a 2.7 super duty 4)
trans: isuzu 5 speed

The 84 Fiero was trueley an odd ball car. Originaly created to be a gas saver the fiero was designed as a comuter car until the public liked it so much and race enthusist's loved the body so much that it became the body put onto tube chassied cars. The history of this one is a story all in itself. Back in 84 during the IMSA race this car was created as a promo for the real thing (meaning replacated as a street legal version of the dole fruit sponsered car) it was created by DGP to to promote the actual race car during its IMSA events than later sold off to a dealership than sold as a special eddition car. To my knolege there are only 4 84 IMSA replacated cars by DGP and thoes are the.
StageI body= Ground effects over the roof scoop and the SD4 engine
StageII body= widened rear end ground effects over the roof scoop and SD4 engine
StageIII body=(one i bought) a whole wide body kit over the roof scoop and SD4 engine

They replacated one of each of the stage 1 and 2 body's and than there were 2 of the stage 3 body. One of the stage 3 body's was my Dole Fruit sponsered replica and the IMSA pace car which is white and purple.

DGP sold these as kits but this one is one of the ones actuley built by DGP for the 84 IMSA rally.

To this day you cannot buy a DGP kit new the company disbanded and sold there molds to IRM than sold them to the fiero warehouse. The molds were sold off and have become a much more difficult kit to work with as it got older. DGP was one of the only wide body's that went right onto the car.

As far as documentation and commen knolege of IMSA's go this one is the real deal. It is a fully optioned car with the exception of the sunroof. Most if not all fiero's with all options had a sunroof. The roof scoop on the top of this is a functional intake and creates a lot of noise. This is why most IMSA replicator's go after a non sunroof car. This one however its Vin and RPO code's show no history of a sunroof being what is all else a fully optioned car. Also the wheels are stock 3 peice wheel's. Everything uncovered on this car points to the fact it is the real thing.

My plans for this car is to keep the body all original nothing is getting changed at all unless i decide to repaint it with the same sceme thats on it right now. I do need to get an 84 Decklid to put it back to its original state.

Engine wise im bouncing around the idea for a 4.9 V8 or if i can get my hands on one for within my price range i might drop another SD4 into it.

After 8 years of being tucked inside a garage in a corner today it saw the light of day again.

Last edited by i_ride_fieroGT; 09-13-2010 at 12:15 PM.
i_ride_fieroGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
jdmwill
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5436

My Ride:
daily s13 slammed drifty ready, drift car ae86 sr20 powered...20" mongoose for fun

i have never been a fan of the fiero. but i see why you like this one so much, the thing is pure 80's gangster. the wheels are sick just need better tires. if you ever get rid of the wheels let me know. i would keep it as oem as possible.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:
Does not hit mivec anymore.(DD) 06 solstice 5 speed. 84 IMSA Fiero5 speed. 87 Fiero GT 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmwill View Post
i have never been a fan of the fiero. but i see why you like this one so much, the thing is pure 80's gangster. the wheels are sick just need better tires. if you ever get rid of the wheels let me know. i would keep it as oem as possible.
Thanks bro. As far as i know there 3 peice wheels and according to DGP records they came with ther car so im going to have to hold onto them. As far as OEM all i need to do is order 84 deck lid vent delet's and an 84 Deckslid and somehow mount the over the roof scoop and its back to original. The deck lid is effin heavey though.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
Car looks cool other then the color scheme(understand the significance of the color & enjoy that part of it but personally don't like it). Care to share any of the story or you purchasing it? There always interesting as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
ambitiousCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14943

My Ride:
2018 Pacifica Limited, 1995 F150, 2015 Hyundai Accent Sport, 06 Corvette Z06

Cool looking car, paints not for me though

*CK*
ambitiousCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonTsi97 View Post
Car looks cool other then the color scheme(understand the significance of the color & enjoy that part of it but personally don't like it). Care to share any of the story or you purchasing it? There always interesting as well.
Well the guy i bought it from found it in someones yard about 10 years ago pretty much sitting waiting to rust away. he ended up picking it up a year after finding it and started the wrench turning on it. It had an SD4 (super duty 4 cylinder) that had a bosh fuel injection system rigged up to it. so he took the bosh system off and put it back to the original SD4 set up. he drove it for a year and where the SD4 is a very powerful motor it is also a vey problematic motor and also is very expensive for parts and to work on. So he took it out and started rebuilding it on and off over a couple years and he dropped in a regular fiero iron duke so he could drive it under its own power. that engine ended up going and he brought it back home put it in his garage and hasent touched it in years. (now heres where i come in) I met the owner off a fiero forum im on. we decided to go to the junk yard and get parts for out fiero's (he had about 4 at the time) and i needed som parts he had so i followed him back to his place and thats when i saw it and fell in love with it. Now fast forward a year or so. he posted it up for sale on the forum at a very good price but no one could come up the money noe justify spending the money on a non running fiero. So a couple months go by and im in my little car flipping stage after i sold my jeep and after i bought my eclipse and sold my green 86 fiero i had enought money to make him a non insulting offer on the car but still a lot less than his asking price... well he accepted it and i brought it home today. It's basicley been my dream fiero since i saw it.

Adn trust me im not a big fan of the paint sceme either but it is of historical significance to the car.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:

Just got it all cleaned up for the most part. i still need to dfo a little rubbing on some scuff marks but other than that the paint is pretty good on it. i'll eventuly need to get it repainted but for right noiw.. its almost show worthey. Theres going to be a lot of documentation on here if you guys are interested in seeing it.
I love the way the rear looks

Stock interior. i dont like it but i have to deal with it.

This is basicley the extent of the damage on the rear. it had been repaired hopefuly i can find a shop that can blend it.

This needs to go

SD-4 (super duty 4 cylinder)

Stage 111 stands for the style IMSA body it is in this case stage 3

They dont like each other.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:

Well i went and looked in the engine compart,ent. its going to need a new engine wiring harness but thats not a real biggie. i wont even need it if i go with a carbed engine.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
PaleDSM
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #274

Pretty cool. I dig the widened rear end and the wheels. Hell, I don't even mind the color scheme. Good luck with the build.

2000 MR2 Spyder (Yellow)
2013 Hyundai Elantra
PaleDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

The wheels and rear really set this one off.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:

Thanks guys. I really like the rear end and i cant get enough of the wheels. I have to send the wheels to some place (not sure where yet) to get resealed becuase they both have a slow air leak through one of the seems (there a 3 peice wheel) but thats down the list of things to do on it.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Send a message via AIM to ndubz
I like this alot.

If its unique as u say, shouldnt u keep it as original as possible? the 4.9 V8 im sure would be sick, but for this car the SD4 motor seems like what should be in there. it'll deff be worth more that way.

So if indeed this is the original car. then it is 1 out of how many made?
ndubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #13
93EGY8
Tri-State Addict

Member #6337

i think he said 1 of 4..? either way.. car is sick.. so rare and such an incredible piece of automotive history.. i respect it alot.. you definatley found something worth keeping. ive always thought fiero's looked sick since i was a kid. like they say, you either love them or hate them.
-1982 Chevy Camaro Z-28.. Muncie M22 fine spline, Richmond 4:10's, Flowmaster super 40's, 350 4 bolt, lunati cam, fuelie heads, weiand intake, Barry Grant Demon 750cfm double pumper. +6 on jets ..My one true love lol
-1990 bayliner 21ft 5.0 H.O v8 - the floating party
93EGY8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubz View Post
I like this alot.

If its unique as u say, shouldnt u keep it as original as possible? the 4.9 V8 im sure would be sick, but for this car the SD4 motor seems like what should be in there. it'll deff be worth more that way.

So if indeed this is the original car. then it is 1 out of how many made?
Thats what i was thinking but the cool thing about the SD4 is its a completley carbed motor. it can be dropped into there without having to wire up an engine management system so if i do a 4.9 (which isant all that expensive of a swap to begin with) it can always be takin out and have another SD4 put in it. The only problem i have with an SD4 right now is just the block itself is a $3500 block and its not an original SD its made by some company that bought the rights to it. in total the whole engine and everything to put it in would set me back a lot.

And this is one of 4 promo IMSA's made back in 84 for the IMSA event's all the others have been acounted for. I'll try to throw up some pics of the other ones.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93EGY8 View Post
i think he said 1 of 4..? either way.. car is sick.. so rare and such an incredible piece of automotive history.. i respect it alot.. you definatley found something worth keeping. ive always thought fiero's looked sick since i was a kid. like they say, you either love them or hate them.

I absolutelety love it. i cant wait till i can clear space in my garage for it (asll my grandma's furniture from when she moved out is in there) but its like i said on my fiero forum. i bought my coffin yesterday:D
Old 08-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
I like it, all of it. The kit, the wheels, even the wacky paint job. I say do it right. Stash it away, and spend all the money you need to to get it back to where it started at.

Edit: Casket, broham. Coffins are wood. Sorry, my job cutting in again. haha
Old 08-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #17
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:

I went and pulled the 30lb deck lid off the car today,
And got to work on it the engine wiring harness is toast its not burned up or anything but im going to have to find an 84 and pull the harness out of it(not hard to do) the owner before the gentelmen i bought it from somehow put a bosh fuel injection system onto the SD4 (pretty impressive if you ask me) but being it was the original owners idea the previous owner and myself were stumped on how to fix it so im just going to replace it.

Another thing i found that confirms DGP originality was this. This is the air deflector to direct air to the radiator becuase all the underside air duct could not be put on the wide body

And since every one seems to like the wheels. There a aluminum/ magnesium 3 peice wheel with a huge off set between the fronts and rears
Old 08-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #18
JERRYM1997
Tri-State Addict

Member #16300

My Ride:
2007 350z

Nice find man
JERRYM1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #19
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Send a message via AIM to ndubz
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_ride_fieroGT View Post
Thats what i was thinking but the cool thing about the SD4 is its a completley carbed motor. it can be dropped into there without having to wire up an engine management system so if i do a 4.9 (which isant all that expensive of a swap to begin with) it can always be takin out and have another SD4 put in it. The only problem i have with an SD4 right now is just the block itself is a $3500 block and its not an original SD its made by some company that bought the rights to it. in total the whole engine and everything to put it in would set me back a lot.

And this is one of 4 promo IMSA's made back in 84 for the IMSA event's all the others have been acounted for. I'll try to throw up some pics of the other ones.
Wait, doesnt it have the original SD4 in it right now? if so, just fix and build it up
ndubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Is that a Vmount rad? Ahead of it's time.