TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Exterior, Interior, and Electrical
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #21
Oakes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4384

My Ride:
2010 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Send a message via AIM to Oakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman808 View Post
Keep in mind I have noever done metal polish in my like LOL

I bought the 3 inch polisher from griots and metal polishing pads.
Metal polish pads
Also there metal polish
metal polish

I'm not near my detail stuff right now but I know I got mothers metal polish and then some other brand possibly klasse but don't hold me to that. Bought it at a porsche meet and they had alot of klasse products.
Klasse has some good products, however I do not frequently use them. As far as the metal polishing goes, I'll bullet for you:

You'll want an APC cleaner and let it soak on the boards to ensure you get all the dirt out of the boards, scrub it in and then spray it with water as you wipe it up (using spray bottles for both)

-Apply the metal polish to the pad, and when you go to apply it to the board - in the lowest speed the drill can go - spread it around a small area either 6"x6" or 12"x12"
-Once spread around the area evenly, go to the high speed on the drill and slowly work back and forth.
-Once you've worked the entire area set the speed back down, or tier it down if there are more than 2 speeds.
-As you work it down slower, re burnish the entire spot until you've broken it all down and then pull off.
-Use a microfiber and wipe the area
-Repeat for the next area

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxDann View Post
IIIII recognize that wheel! lol. Good write up!
haha, yep, it's off the GT Vert!
Old 07-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #22
2drStunner
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2009

My Ride:
2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T and 2008 Honda CBR1000rr

Send a message via AIM to 2drStunner
Oakes you are the man! This should def be a sticky. I can honestly say I read every part of your original post. Its walways nice to know a few new tricks. Makes me wanna dirty the Genesis so you can get your hands on it!
you're car looks so deliciously good possibly better then the cereal i'm about to eat.
2drStunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #23
Oakes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4384

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drstunner View Post
Oakes you are the man! This should def be a sticky. I can honestly say I read every part of your original post. Its walways nice to know a few new tricks. Makes me wanna dirty the Genesis so you can get your hands on it!
Thanks Rich! It took a while to type of, but to think this isn't even a bulk of the process in a full detail should make people think of the work and attention that goes into one. Bring the Genesis on out! I can promise it won't blow up lol
Old 07-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #24
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman808 View Post
OUCH!!! Thats a great way to put some serious scratches in the paint.
Paint isn't the best as is. So if I put scratches in it, I'm not to worried anyways.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:21 AM   #25
CANNIBALOFDOOM
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13467

My Ride:
2012 Wrx

Send a message via AIM to CANNIBALOFDOOM
threads like this always make me miss having a place to properly wash my car instead of hitting up car wash bays .. ugg someone give me a house
CANNIBALOFDOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #26
Oakes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4384

My Ride:

I can't give you the house, but I can do the car for you
Old 08-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #27
CANNIBALOFDOOM
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13467

My Ride:
2012 Wrx

Send a message via AIM to CANNIBALOFDOOM
haha i wanna bring it in to get a full detail esp since the paint has swirl marks galor when i picked it up but like everyone else money is the issue. Plus proper upkeep is hard because of the lack of my own place to wash the car.
CANNIBALOFDOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:50 AM   #28
eclipse_kid
Tri-State Training Wheels
Banned

Member #14305

My Ride:
1999 eclipse on nos

how much do you cnarge? usually?
eclipse_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #29
G.T.
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13970

My Ride:
'06 M3 coupe, '07 X3 3.0si, '88 325ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse_kid View Post
how much do you cnarge? usually?
prices are on his website, which has a direct link in his sig.
it all depends on what you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #30
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
nice post man. really taught me some new things.

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #31
ScoobyNubieToo!
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #862

My Ride:
WRB 2004 WRX Wagon with 07 STI Trans and Longblock inside!

Excellent write up! With my car fresh out of the body shop and a good restorative detailing done by them, I'm looking to maintain the cars beauty. I'm guilty of having used an automatic car wash for years and it took a heavy toll on my vehicles finish. I'm pretty lazy but I'm really gonna give the two bucket method a crack!

ScoobyNubieToo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #32
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Send a message via AIM to Buster
Look at this! Somone else did it again!

Seriously dude, step back. You are advocating things that people dont really need. Regardless tho what you say here, you can go to pepboys/walmart/target where ever and get decent products to accomplish the very simple task of maintaining your paint. It isn't rocket science, If I can teach drop out drug addict retards to do it then anyone can.

And please, stop being such a whore. You polish up already half decent cars, nothing amazing has been done here. Spend a day in a used car shop and see how well these tried and true methods work in the long term. You wont make any money and you will have wasted time on prep that never needed to be done.

I dont want to come off as a dick, and I am very well aware that I am. But what Im trying to say is that I have already made one of these, Jon made one of these and a few others have done it too.

I did this 6 days a week for almost 7 years in one of the most volume pushing dealerships in the country and have a huge client base and I can guarantee Jon nor I did this much whoreing. You want a pat on the back, sure good job. Just tone it down man, you dont need to get all T.O on TST.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #33
Oakes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4384

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Look at this! Somone else did it again!

Seriously dude, step back. You are advocating things that people dont really need. Regardless tho what you say here, you can go to pepboys/walmart/target where ever and get decent products to accomplish the very simple task of maintaining your paint. It isn't rocket science, If I can teach drop out drug addict retards to do it then anyone can.

And please, stop being such a whore. You polish up already half decent cars, nothing amazing has been done here. Spend a day in a used car shop and see how well these tried and true methods work in the long term. You wont make any money and you will have wasted time on prep that never needed to be done.

I dont want to come off as a dick, and I am very well aware that I am. But what Im trying to say is that I have already made one of these, Jon made one of these and a few others have done it too.

I did this 6 days a week for almost 7 years in one of the most volume pushing dealerships in the country and have a huge client base and I can guarantee Jon nor I did this much whoreing. You want a pat on the back, sure good job. Just tone it down man, you dont need to get all T.O on TST.
Looks like an unnecessary nerve was touched here. Sorry you feel this way Keith, I'll try and clear up a few things for you here. You nor Jon "whored" this as much because
1.) You weren't vendors
2.) You weren't making this your primary work
3.) I'm trying to get my name out there and it's working

I'm not one to knock on others but after reading your "How to detail your car for real" thread I felt a more appropriate, more indepth version was in order with PROPER products. Sure, high volume shops can get their stuff at walmart/pep boys and so on, but you've already cut the quality in half there. The prep is what MAKES the detail, I see these "high volume, big client" shops do everything as fast as they can, sure the car looks clean afterwords but when you inspect it for what its worth, more damage has been done.

I polish up half decent cars? Keith, I've been doing just as long as you have, I've worked as the PRIMARY detailer for an exotic car network. I had Aston Martins, Ferraris, Bentleys, Lamborghinis day in and day out. Spend a day or two on Autopia.org and you will see the true DIFFERENCE in "high volume" detailing and QUALITY detailing.

How are these examples of "half decent" go ahead and look through the journal before you make these ill-informed assumptions.

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...ad.php?t=81642

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...ad.php?t=81076

Last edited by Oakes; 08-05-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #34
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

whose car did I burn? Ive never cut anyones paint on this forum ever because none of these cars needed to be cut.

Are you kidding me, I worked for two private shops, myself and Reedman-toll. Doing high end creampuffs doesnt constitute anything. My writeup was for someone loooong before you joined who had asked me how to maintain their paint. I know you have personally seen my cars and I'm sure couldnt pick flaws. I for a long time was using products my boss made called extreme solutions, far higher quality than say Ardex even. But he is new and still getting out there. Its tough to get behind compaines with 50+ years in experience.

You touched no nerve, I just felt you were being redundant and making things harder than they need to be. As far as there being a difference in being a high volume detailer vs a quality detailer, you are half right. just not in my case. We had NO room for anyone being one or the other. and if you want to name drop here, I still get calls from the CCA and various Race teams to handle their $300,000 race cars. So please dont doubt me. I just dont feel the need to flaunt it, besides the fact as far as most people are concerned expecially people with high end cars. After its all said and done all they think you did was clean it up.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #35
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Better yet, why dont you PM that info to me. I would like to talk to whoever said that. I can only think of 3 cars on TST that I ever put a buffer on.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #36
Oakes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4384

My Ride:

No redundancy here, sure you may feel that way because it's day to day work for you and going through these "extra" steps is just more work when you're trying to just get cars done. This write up was originally geared for my customers, who asked how to maintain their cars the way I do. I was a little late in doing so but none-the less got it done, this process helps to extend the benefits and the life of a proper detail once it leaves my garage. Simply put, this is the way I maintain my cars, and the cars that get done by me.

I don't doubt you Keith, but I still don't see your need to bash on myself or my work which I have gotten no complaints about to this day. I've had customers return to the dealerships I worked at looking for "the guy who did my car last time" and what have you, I built myself a reputation to the point other dealerships were calling to hire me which was great for my paycheck at the time. This also shows where our customer base varies, my customers come to me for my attention to detail and my abilities (which you and I both learn more everyday) to get their car DETAILED. Not clean, but restored, much like the BMW I posted when he was contemplating a respray and ended up saving....7k by coming to me.

I've done plenty of trade-in, driven to the ground used cars and they're great for showing how quickly to revive a car, but when you can take a new car or an exotic thats already clean and make it BETTER, that's where the seperation starts. Anyone can make a beaten car new, not many can make a new car, newer. A lot of that lies in the proper prep, the quality materials and the correct processes, techniques and so on. Don't see this as my lecturing you on what you may already know, but as a matter of explaining our lines of work to those reading these posts.

I can agree with you that most customers will see in the end that its "cleaned up" but again, thats why people pay extra to make sure it's flawless, which I can and do provide on a consistent basis.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #37
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

I dunno man, I think your soapbox is a little too high. beleive me I know all about what you are talking about. Take a good look at most of the daily driven corvettes and jaguars on the road. That was my job every day. So you have told me nothing I dont already know. I guess your obvious whoreing has annoyed me thats all. I still would like to know about my alleged burn victim though.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #38
Oakes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4384

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I dunno man, I think your soapbox is a little too high. beleive me I know all about what you are talking about. Take a good look at most of the daily driven corvettes and jaguars on the road. That was my job every day. So you have told me nothing I dont already know. I guess your obvious whoreing has annoyed me thats all. I still would like to know about my alleged burn victim though.
Understandable, but like I said, I'm trying to start a business here and it's working. I'm sure it's annoying to other detailers, but I am a vendor here and I am trying to get the name out there. Clearly that's working since you seem annoyed by it. Also, like I said, I'm not trying to lecture you on what you know but throughly defending myself to those reading these posts. I will PM you the alleged victim, burns happen to all of us.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #39
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

I realized now I went off a little bit and I apologize, I didnt mean for it to come off as bad as it sounded.

About the burn victim. I couldnt have burned these cars at the 1200 my buffer runs and especially not while polishing with a soft pad. I'm sorry. If its who I think it is he has a whole lot of explaining to do.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #40
Oakes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4384

My Ride:

All good, like I said burns happen to the best of us. It doesnt always reflect on the detailer, but the paint itself, such as Subaru paint as you very well know.