TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #41
devo
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #22308

My Ride:
02 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Sounds neat. Post them up!
I was just kidding. I can't hold a candle to what you guys are doing. Nice work!
devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #42
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

bumping this from the dead. i bought some mandrel bends a while back to build a set of headers for my bug eye project. decided im going to sell it anyways, so im using them to build a set of UEL headers for my friends 2.5rs pictures arent the greatest and im only about a 1/4 of the way done haha once the other collector i need comes in i'll be able to finish them and see how it sounds

rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #43
Mishimoto
Vendor

Member #12742

My Ride:
2008 EVO X, 1991 RHD J-Spec S13 (566RWHP)

^ Sounds like a neat project. Thanks for bringing this thread back, hopefully a few more chime in.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
|
|
]

The Leader in Aftermarket Performance Cooling Technology
Offering Aluminum Radiators, Intercoolers, Silicone Hoses & Cooling Accessories
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #44
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
^ Sounds like a neat project. Thanks for bringing this thread back, hopefully a few more chime in.
im hopefully going to try and do some more projects like this more often. i do this type of stuff at work all day, but they're already pre-fixtured parts. its fun to do something new from scratch for a change. i'd like to build a nice twin scroll subaru header set up very soon!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #45
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

started building a custom turbo manifold for toyota 4runner race truck

this is what he made for his race truck. not pretty, heavy, and apparently such a huge heat soak that it MELTED THE HEAD on the engine. not good! but i gotta give him credit for doing what he could with what he had

i'm still waiting on the flanges to come in, so while i wait i decided to try building a 4 into 1 collector from scratch. turned out awesome for the first time ever doing it. building this from 1.75 .065 sidewall steel tube, would have liked to use stainless. but the guy didnt want to spend the money on the material, i already had this from the subaru headers, so i decided to just use it for this
pictures of progress:

rough planning

cut with cut off wheel and cleaned up on belt sander

2 into 1

did it twice

welded them and sanded on the belt sander and came up with this

twice again

welded up

still have to do some clean up work but i'm happy with it! will update as i make more progress on the manifold
Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #46
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

made some progress today, should be finished tomorrow. ill let the pictures do the talking.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #47
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Not bad Joey! Big improvement to what he had on there before.

What size turbo are you bolting on this thing? I would suggest bracing it. Thin wall 308 is fine for headers/exhaust/etc but turbo manifolds put too much stress on them and it's just not strong enough to hold up for long periods of time, usually tubular manifolds are made from 321. If you make a nice brace for it I wouldn't see any issues though.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #48
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

thanks aaron! def want to brace it. all i know is its a t3 turbo. this is for a friend of a friend. so i dont know much about it. i was just told it needs to make it from A to B lol. this has been a ton of fun though because as youll find out monday most of the exhaust systems at work have pre bent tubes and are already fixtured which take some of the fun out of it. and i have yet to step up to the challenge of more complicated headers at work that involve this type of work. this crappy steel tubing is also throwing me curve balls, wish i could have had him spring for stainless, but he doesnt have the cash. but so far im very happy with how its turning out for the tools i have access to at home. see you bright and early!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #49
cmr076
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2319

My Ride:
S4

Send a message via AIM to cmr076
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
thanks aaron! def want to brace it. all i know is its a t3 turbo. this is for a friend of a friend. so i dont know much about it. i was just told it needs to make it from A to B lol. this has been a ton of fun though because as youll find out monday most of the exhaust systems at work have pre bent tubes and are already fixtured which take some of the fun out of it. and i have yet to step up to the challenge of more complicated headers at work that involve this type of work. this crappy steel tubing is also throwing me curve balls, wish i could have had him spring for stainless, but he doesnt have the cash. but so far im very happy with how its turning out for the tools i have access to at home. see you bright and early!
I need a set of 458 headers if you can talk whoever is in charge back there now into giving you a crack at it
cmr076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #50
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

I'd settle for a harness bar and seat brackets.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #51
SoStock92
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1721

My Ride:
92 BMW 525, 95 BMW 525, 87 BMW 325, 95 BMW 530

Send a message via AIM to SoStock92
Now if only I could lift the metal brake up...

Sheet Metal Brake Stand by Jon Kensy, on Flickr
Old 04-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #52
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoStock92 View Post
Now if only I could lift the metal brake up...

Sheet Metal Brake Stand by Jon Kensy, on Flickr
looks good. but heavy! hows that Harbor Freight tool box? looks decent at the store for the price....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr076 View Post
I need a set of 458 headers if you can talk whoever is in charge back there now into giving you a crack at it
ain't no body got time for that! i would say brad and billy are the go to guys for that. I'm currently on bread and butter inventory
Old 04-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #53
DC2.2GSR
Tri-State Addict

Member #5220

My Ride:
is completely stock and gets great gas mileage.

I'm looking at picking up a bottle and some gas for my first MIG.

What are you guys using and how much should I expect to pay for a MIG mix? How much should I pay for a bottle? Used or new?
Old 04-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #54
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
I'm looking at picking up a bottle and some gas for my first MIG.

What are you guys using and how much should I expect to pay for a MIG mix? How much should I pay for a bottle? Used or new?
i have an 80 cubic foot cylinder from air gas. it costs me 35-40$ to fill with argon and lasts for 4-5 hours of welding time. not sure about co2 mix. i think i paid like 200$ to get a bottle. basically you will pay to "own" one, but when you get it filled they just take your empty and give you a filled one. so you never actually have the same bottle. but that way you always have an up to spec bottle. if you are welding steel you can go with 25% argon/75% co2. or you could go 100% co2.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #55
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

^ This. Depending on what you're using the MIG for (just tacking body work or doing full welds?) would depend on what size bottle. If you're just going to b tack welding a lot you can save some cash and go with a smaller bottle.

Also, 75% mix will get you a better weld than the 100% CO2 will, so I would use that. It spatters a lot less.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #56
cmr076
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2319

My Ride:
S4

Send a message via AIM to cmr076
dont let Joey (rocknrace) fool you into thinking he just welds tips here! he is fitting a prototype Diablo exhaust here now.

cmr076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #57
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

do i really look that stupid in my safety glasses.... =p. and im calling no homo on the second picture... just saying...
Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #58
DC2.2GSR
Tri-State Addict

Member #5220

My Ride:
is completely stock and gets great gas mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
i have an 80 cubic foot cylinder from air gas. it costs me 35-40$ to fill with argon and lasts for 4-5 hours of welding time. not sure about co2 mix. i think i paid like 200$ to get a bottle. basically you will pay to "own" one, but when you get it filled they just take your empty and give you a filled one. so you never actually have the same bottle. but that way you always have an up to spec bottle. if you are welding steel you can go with 25% argon/75% co2. or you could go 100% co2.
I finally got a chance to stop in at Airgas in Pottstown on my lunch break. The guy said it will be $68 to refill the 80 cubic foot tank with 75/25. For the 60 cf bottle he said it's $58, $55 for the 40 cf, and he said they don't even deal with any that are smaller. That seems really high, all the guys I talk to at work who weld agree with you and say that it should be about $35-40 to fill the 80cf bottle. Where are you going to get yours filled?

I only want a 40cf bottle at most. I'll probably burn through the first bottle quickly because I just want to play around and learn but it's just a little 135 machine that I'm planning on using mostly for auto body panel replacement so it won't see a ton of use.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #59
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

i usually have mine filled at air gas in Allentown. or sometimes have it swapped out at work. but either way its usually somewhere between 30-45 ish to fill. sounds shady
Old 05-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #60
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr076 View Post
dont let Joey (rocknrace) fool you into thinking he just welds tips here! he is fitting a prototype Diablo exhaust here now.

LOL!

That was a bad day for Brad. When I left at 4 he was just starting the brackets.

For the record, it costs me around $50-60 to fill up from Airgas, 80cu 100% argon. Goes up and down since the price of argon isn't steady.

Quote: