TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Supraholic
Tri-State Addict

Member #1791

Porsche mulls flat-8 for Ferrari rival

Quote:
Porsche is considering engineering a flat-eight boxster engine for its Ferrari-rivalling supercar, company bosses have admitted.

At the first unveiling of the new 991-series 911, Wolfgang Hatz, Porsche head of Research and Development said such an engine was ‘possible’. He told Autocar: "We have to go into that market properly equipped.".

This week Porsche CEO Mathhias Müller said he was ‘irritated’ that Porsche didn’t compete with Ferrari in the 250,000 Euros-plus price range. He said there was space for a car like the seminal 1980s high-tech 959 model.

Porsche engineers have long been frustrated by the fact that the company’s iconic flat-six engine cannot be extended much beyond 4.0-litres. It’s also felt that in the Ferrari-dominated market, eight cylinders are a pre-requisite.

Moving to a larger engine would also differentiate the new model from the new 911 and next-generation Cayman range. It’s thought that the creation of such an engine has been made easier by the engineering working currently being done on the new turbocharged flat-four engine, which will be offered in Porsche’s planned entry-level roadster. This all-new motor is thought to be modular, allowing it to be extended into the next-generation flat-6 and a flat-8.

Hatz also said that a development of the Carrera GT’s ultra-compact transmission could be used for the new model. Such a transmission would free-up space for the use of the longer eight-cylinder engine.

"We could develop it, of course, One of the key issues is where we put the differential, but it is a possibility," he said.

In 1969 Porsche built two flat-eight equipped versions of the mid-engined 914, one of which was given to Ferry Porsche (Ferdinand Porsche’s son) for his 60th birthday. The other is in the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart. Despite the concept’s age, the 3.0-litre naturally-aspirated engine was still good for nearly 300bhp.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/in...aspx?im=457043

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Supraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
jjm4life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4443

My Ride:
jew canoe

Send a message via AIM to jjm4life
yes please.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
dumpleRL
Tri-State Addict

Member #7734

My Ride:
2004 Saturn ION redline

Send a message via AIM to dumpleRL
the sound it would make is prolly heart stopping

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dumpleRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpleRL View Post
the sound it would make is prolly heart stopping
I was thinking the same thing.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
O2SpecV
Tri-State Addict

Member #8680

My Ride:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3

Send a message via AIM to O2SpecV
wow i can't wait to see this engine. What engine did they put in the GT?
O2SpecV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
05Accent
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1050

My Ride:
2008 Evo X GSR, 2002 Honda CRV

Send a message via AIM to 05Accent
oh ****!! engine sound plz. lol
With MIVEC Turbo
Daily-2002 Honda Crv Cruisin'
With Vtec
Quote:
Yea Junior you suck. Everyone boo this man!
Quote:
obviously you have an 05 accent and your picture is just your dream car.
05Accent is offline   Reply With Quote