TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Engine Performance
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
cburwell
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #303

Swain Ceramic Coating

I am piecing together a turbo setup from my car. In doing so, I purchased some used turbo parts to save some money. Initially I just wanted to clean up the rusted components so they didn't look like junk. My first course of action was to paint the parts, but I soon started looking at ceramic coatings.

Soon, I ran into a product from Swain Technologies called White Lightning. I was intrigued by this product and how it differed from a traditional ceramic coatings. To make a long story short, the Swain coating is applied differently and in a thicker coat which makes it more durable. On a street car, the turbo components can endure many heating and cooling cycles during your drive cycle. This can cause other coatings to crack or flake after a while. From what I have read, the White Lightning coating is very durable in both street and race applications (In this case a street application would be considered more trying because of the many heating and cooling cycles). In addition White Lightning seems to be better at keeping the heat inside the exhaust components, where they belong.

Here are some of my parts before the swain coating:

After the White Lighting Coating:

The coating is rough to the touch, so paint adheres to it very well. I put some high temp engine paint on it to match the wrinkle black powder coating.

The rest of my gallery

I just wanted to throw this out there, since it is not something that you hear a lot about. Swain also makes several other coatings including a black coating for inter-coolers that is supposed to make the inter-cooler a bit more efficient (It is marketed to diesel trucks), and a coating for pistons that can help resist damage from detonation & hot spots.

Just a side note: JMF modified my manifold for an external gate as well as welding the interal WG flapper shut on my hot-side. Bonehead performance is doing all of my powder coating (pictured on the compressor housing).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"The Corvette took nearly 25 years to sell 500,000 units; the Z does it in fewer than 10."
cburwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
peteyturbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1450

Swain tech is awesome..I plan on doing the whitel lightning with my new setup when I buy it.

peteyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:49 AM   #3
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Jeez, the wrinkle black and polished looks even better than I could have hoped, congrats, man. Swaintech is pretty awesome stuff.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
1000whpTSi
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8766

My Ride:
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

I had my turbine housing and exhaust manifold for my 93' TSi done by Swaintech.Well worth it in my opinion.I like the appearance of it as well.

92' Talon TSi-Drag car - GT4202 / Shearer top mount / Shep Dogbox / Haltech E11v2 / Weldon 2345-A / Hogan custom SMIM / Wilson Billit 90mm TB / J&S SAFEGAURD-Individual cylinder knock controll system / DSS Level 5 axles / DSS 3.5" HD Driveshaft /
1000whpTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
cburwell
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #303

Nice setup! The White Lightning coating does a great job of making parts look better, especially if they are showing their age.

-

"The Corvette took nearly 25 years to sell 500,000 units; the Z does it in fewer than 10."
cburwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

Wow i might look into this route instead of getting my manifold coated....Good Looking!!!
|Nikon|
Twitter:
SvicksTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
Nick 95 6sp
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3675

My Ride:
'95 Supra Turbo 6sp

Besides looking good, Swain coatings are really effective at keeping the heat in the manifold, reducing underhood heat.
Nick 95 6sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
messeduprex
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #7581

My Ride:
'93 Honda Civic Ferio

swain stuff is awsome i'm using swains coatings on my pistons before i install them
messeduprex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
silviadriftworld
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #10519

My Ride:
92' Silvia

Peter.. thats thooo hawt!!!
silviadriftworld is offline   Reply With Quote