TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #101
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Blackworx motor mounts arrived

Engine pistons are cleaned up. For those of you that dont have a bristle disc...get one they work awesome.

I decided to rebuild the head. Thank god I did:

I pulled the old engine out of the race car. It only took like 3.5 hrs. I starting to get good at pulling these cars apart

I have also been parting the parts car like its a second job haha. The good side of that is I'm finally ready to start pulling all of the ABS stuff. The wiring is almost out... seeing it makes me nervous. I hate wiring.

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #102
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

those green discs are awesome! Your miata business looks fun, as soon as im done messing with my truck im going to pick one up. I wanna autocross with all my TST friends
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #103
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Well if your serious about a miata. I'm considering selling the white one. They are good little cars.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #104
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Well if your serious about a miata. I'm considering selling the white one. They are good little cars.
i would definitely consider that! I just need to test my turbo manifold a little while. I will probably be looking to sell my truck in april or may. White one might fit the bill if you still have it and are willing to sell
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #105
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
i would definitely consider that! I just need to test my turbo manifold a little while. I will probably be looking to sell my truck in april or may. White one might fit the bill if you still have it and are willing to sell
Yeah. Hit me up when your ready.

I forgot to mention, anyone rebuilding heads needs to get this tool, a lisle 36050.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-36050-K...ds=lisle+36050

You literally just set it on top of the valve spring, hit it with a hammer and bam your keeper and retainers are off or on, depending on what your doing. Saved me a ton of time compared to the normal spring compessor.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 01-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #106
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

This weekend the wife and I spent some time getting the ABS wiring out of the harness. Got it out, Im not sure ill be able to get it back in though haha.

All of this:

For this:

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 01-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #107
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
I've heard great things about that valve keeper tool. I should have used that instead of the "giant C-clamp" style spring compressor...

ABS is pretty simple on a Miata, sheesh. I assume it's 4 channel?
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #108
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Sadly for NA miatas 90-97 it is only 3 channel. Individual fronts, one back line. The 4 channel NB system doesn't swap legally for SP. Better than nothing I hope.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 01-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #109
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

If it prevents flat spotting an expensive Ho-Ho or two... it's worth it.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:38 PM   #110
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Getting close to having this car back together... although im slightly worried about the schedule.

ABS is nearly swapped. Some light wiring to do yet along with getting the spindles in.

The clutch looked good. One of the nice things of a low power car.

The VVT engine is back assembled. I bolted up the ITB adapter because I couldn't resist. I'm missing a few odds and ends to put it back in.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 01-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #111
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

ITBs! How much power do these things make with them?
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #112
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

ITBs!

Let's get this show on the road
Old 02-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #113
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
ITBs! How much power do these things make with them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
ITBs!

Let's get this show on the road
The ITBs don't really increase max power mainly a small bump through the power band and increased throttle response (slightly lighter as well). This engine tuned properly should be near 160hp, maybe 170 if I switch to corn (there is no close place for me to get it) .

Getting the show on the road is my priority. If only this work thing wasn't getting in the way.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 02-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #114
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

O yeah. I bolted up the clutch last night. One step at a time haha.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 02-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #115
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Bolting up the clutch should be like a 15 minute job, let's go haha
Old 02-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #116
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Bolting up the clutch should be like a 15 minute job, let's go haha
Hey I had to get it off the stand as well

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 02-01-2018, 08:49 PM   #117
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
The ITBs don't really increase max power mainly a small bump through the power band and increased throttle response (slightly lighter as well). This engine tuned properly should be near 160hp, maybe 170 if I switch to corn (there is no close place for me to get it) .

Getting the show on the road is my priority. If only this work thing wasn't getting in the way.
Wow, coming from iron straight 6 land, that's great power for a 4cyl. A lot of E30 guys are actually doing k swaps and using the flyinmiata BMW ZF trans to Honda motor adapter. Keeps weight way down up front and they make the same power as a built M20.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:03 AM   #118
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
Wow, coming from iron straight 6 land, that's great power for a 4cyl. A lot of E30 guys are actually doing k swaps and using the flyinmiata BMW ZF trans to Honda motor adapter. Keeps weight way down up front and they make the same power as a built M20.
Yeah those numbers are pretty aggressive. I wouldn't be surprised if its less considering I didn't really do anything to the engine but new valve springs and seals. Getting those numbers also means I will be changing valve springs on the regular haha.

Whats a typical straight 6 iron BMW make fully tuned?

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 02-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #119
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Yeah those numbers are pretty aggressive. I wouldn't be surprised if its less considering I didn't really do anything to the engine but new valve springs and seals. Getting those numbers also means I will be changing valve springs on the regular haha.

Whats a typical straight 6 iron BMW make fully tuned?
Stock bottom end 12v M20 2.5L (e30 M20 motor) with a cam and long tubes might make 165whp. ITBs and you're near 180whp. They're dogs but they sound amazing and are torquey and fun. Useless to extensively modify as they top out at 220whp with a fully built stroker, $3K cylinder head, custom cam, etc.

24v S52 3.2L (what I was building before switching gears) with the head and cam package I had would've made 250-270whp. Stock-ish they make like 215-235whp.

Ended up ditching the 24v swap in favor of M20 because of $$. This way I can save for future v8 things and have fun in the mean time.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #120
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Bought some new front control arms. The abs wiring bolts to them and the control arms an the abs car were to rusty. This means I get to press out brand new bushings so I can replace them with delrin.

I test fit the engine with the ITBs. A long story short, my velocity stacks are to looooong for the ABS stuff. I will be using the NB intake manifold for the time being.

I rewired all of the rewiring needed for the VVT swap. These are some of the gems I found under the wire loom. I cant believe this thing ran reliably last year. They fell apart when I pulled the loom:

I am precious close to starting this sucker. I just need a fuel rail from a 99 miata as it is the only way to run the 1990 FPR. the 1990 is vaccum referenced FPR, the 2002 is a single pressure (60 psi all the time). Apparently the 1990 fpr is easier to tune.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-