TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #121
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
So I went through the process of making a level pad on the side of the garage that I don't normally use, one corner of the car needed about 1 & 1/4" of 1/16" tiles stacked up to get to level. The other three corners were fine. Weird, especially since that's the corner that's near the door to the house. Explains why there's always a puddle there, lol. Checked the alignment on the level pad, came up with -2.0/-1.9 up front, but -1.0/-0.5 in the rear. The rear adjustment is a gigantic PITA and I may pay to have a shop do the rear and then reset the front toe to make the wheel straight.

As a side benefit, since I was setting my end link length on that side of the garage it explains why they were so different side to side. Every other car I'd set them up on the more level side of the garage, but this side is easier to work on... I fixed the lengths of the end links and now the car tramlines a LOT less which is great. The tramlining was VERY annoying after driving my GTI which doesn't tramline much even with a lot more camber.

Today I also replaced the crappy washers with Nordlocks and some hardened steel washers. When I tightened down the nuts it felt "proper" like I expected. Before there was a feeling of softness and I was always nervous that I was stretching the stud or something.

First pic with things not tightened up, so mind the gap.

All tightened up. I kinda wish the nut was bigger/had a flange built in to be able to use the larger size Nordlocks and get more surface area, but oh well. I'll keep an eye on it.
Great point about the ground being level. My garage definitely is not, haha.

The new nordlock's look much better. Here's to hoping they stay put for you. Happy to hear about the tramline effect being cured!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #122
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Great point about the ground being level. My garage definitely is not, haha.

The new nordlock's look much better. Here's to hoping they stay put for you. Happy to hear about the tramline effect being cured!
Level really only matters for setup stuff. That said, if we were racing every weekend we'd look at tire wear and temps and adjust from there. As long as you measure it the same way every time it doesn't matter if it's level.

Scaling the car and setting swaybar preload needs a level surface though.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #123
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utXsw5CN_pg

I was 2nd fastest raw time today and if it was scored using PAX I'd have won by 0.048, which is super tight!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #124
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utXsw5CN_pg

I was 2nd fastest raw time today and if it was scored using PAX I'd have won by 0.048, which is super tight!
Good work, Im jealous.

How are you finding PCA events? Motorsports reg?

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #125
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Good work, Im jealous.

How are you finding PCA events? Motorsports reg?
Yep! Though in this case I had run with PCA before so I already knew they normally had a spring Hershey event, so I knew to look for it.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:41 PM   #126
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Old 03-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #127
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBXjMbRMSpM

Fun times today. I need more balls on the brakes, but I'm really loving this thing on track. Works sooo well.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #128
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

2:05.94 & then 2:05.88. Pretty friggin happy with those times all things considered. More to come later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTuvwJPEtI
Old 03-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #129
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBXjMbRMSpM

Fun times today. I need more balls on the brakes, but I'm really loving this thing on track. Works sooo well.
They look fantastic too

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #130
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Before I start, here's a link to the entire album of pics (not in order, oddly): https://imgur.com/a/Rovcx

New Cup 2s are just a bit sticky, haha

Arrived at the track on Saturday morning bright and early to clear skies

Wrapped the front of my car up and got ready to go

Weather got crappy in the afternoon, shortly after this pic it was raining heavily so I called it a day

I woke up bright and early Sunday and had to drive to the track in ~3" of slush

The Mustang paddocked next to me had an incident involving a tire wall in the race in the rain the day before. He caught back up and finished 2nd, impressive!

To help clear the slush off of the track they let people take parade laps in their tow rigs & street cars... This brave soul brought a Citroen XM to the track AND took it on track. Not many XM owners can say that!

A river runs through it...

I walked out of my drivers meeting/class and was presented with this lovely fog... Track time was cut off until the fog lifted.

Five minutes after taking the above pic the fog was lifting and the sun came out!

I went to watch the Lighting race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsOUNamSb5w

My rotors looked like crap at the end of the weekend, but they looked WAY worse at the end of Saturday

Pretty solid numbers for a street car on street tires

My car was really dirty when I got home, haha
Old 04-29-2018, 11:03 PM   #131
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YeozPcz9BA

autocross fun
Old 05-08-2018, 09:43 PM   #132
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I went up to New York Safety Track yesterday... pics to come later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnMCx8j51ac

Car is awesome, I need more front camber, I also need a bit more balls!
Old 05-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #133
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
I went up to New York Safety Track yesterday... pics to come later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnMCx8j51ac

Car is awesome, I need more front camber, I also need a bit more balls!
Looks like a fun track. First I've heard of NYST. Seems like a weird name for a track.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #134
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

They got the name by billing it as a rider safety training center and therefore going through a loophole instead of being a "race track" ...

Also, I corded my front tires on the inside and really close on the outside too. Awesome
Old 05-09-2018, 11:37 PM   #135
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

1.28g

Yessir.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #136
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

The onboard accelerometer is now maxed out at 1.5G for left turns, the banked corners at NYST did it. I was seeing like 1.6G+ peak on the G plot from the fast lap. Note that in the plot everything is shifted towards braking a bit cause I was on a slight hill when I started the log.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #137
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

NYST with Apex Obsessed

Track map/schedule:

Paddock views:

My brakes got a bit toasty, melted the wheel weights off:

Also shredded my front tires. All of the long corners really ate them up.

Brake pads are wearing like iron but the intense heat is cracking the rotors around all of the drilled holes. I think the drilled holes are dumb and this is proof...

NYST's elevation changes are intense. I was bottom out the rear and scraping the front splitter at least once every lap, on fast laps two or more times! I had a bit of rear tire to fender liner contact, so there's some nice grooves in the rear shoulders.

I killed a lot of bugs

and a neat pic from the photogs, waiting for more

Old 05-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #138
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Man, you really enjoy your cars! It's great to watch from the outside and motivates me heavily to get my heap on a track. I still have never even been to an autocross.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:49 PM   #139
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
Man, you really enjoy your cars! It's great to watch from the outside and motivates me heavily to get my heap on a track. I still have never even been to an autocross.
Do it! An autocross is a ton of fun if you're competitive and don't mind standing around hanging out in parking lots. Best enjoyed with friends, lol. It's also good for quickly learning a car because you're never "just" going straight. You might turn 10 times a lap on track but you're turning 30-40 times a run at autocross.

Track use is hard on equipment (just see above ) but has huge value seat time wise. I really want to do time trials because it does get a bit boring for me just driving around endlessly with no goal other than to be more consistent.

Your new build will be more than adequate for starting autocross and with some high temp brake fluid and track pads should be great fun on track too.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #140
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Ahh the cost penalty of hitting 1.6g's :D

Looks amazing like always, really love your car. What was your top speed at this recent event? Is it the 126.5 from the screenshot?

/
/
/
/
/