TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Erik
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1962

My Ride:
2001 Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo

Pinging/Tinging sound with acceleration

Not sure if this is exactly the right place for it, but lets give it a try.

So ive been trying to chase down this pinging, or tinging sound upon acceleration for a few months now but to no avail. It sounds almost like hitting an exhaust pipe with a small screwdriver, perhaps.

Im leaning toward it being affiliated with the driveshaft or transmission, but it really doesnt sound like it is coming from there. I hear it through out the entire power band, its pretty consistant in timing, almost exact 4/4 beat maybe with an added ting here and there. It doesnt get faster with acceleration, but louder the higher the RPM.

From the cabin, it sounds like it is coming from the nose of the miata, however it is only heard when in gear and moving. Ive checked for everything that is moving in relation to the transmission; the drive shaft appears to be clear of anything that could be bouncing off of it, any moving axels appear to be good as well. I did realize one of my adjustment bolts on my AC compressor was loose, figured it had to be that, but of course it wasnt. I then thought, crap, my catalytic converter is blown, however i would hear that with nuetral revving (i imagine atleast). I banged on it and shook it as much as i can without actually removing it but it sounds as sturdy as can be.

Specs on the car include, Jackson racing intake and exhaust, FM vmaxx coilovers. I have tried to get some iphone videos, however i cant clearly pick up the sound enough to be worthwhile

I know its hard to diagnose via type, but im out of things to check!

'96 Mazda Miata | FM V-Maxx Coilovers | Jackson Racing Exhaust/Intake GONE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

01' Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo | Daily | NoMods
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Heat shield?
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

so, i didn't drive my mustang for a week b/c i thought the exhaust couplings had loosened up. turns out i only had about three eclipse gum pieces in the plastic container and they were rattling during certain RPM's.

check around the car for something random and stupid.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Erik
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1962

My Ride:

probably should have said that, doing this, i removed practically every heatshield around the exhaust. hope that doesnt bite me in the ass in the long run, but oh well.

as for the rattling, i have the car cleaned out nearly completely. only thing in there is my iphone holder (rattles but not like that) and my paper work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
schaffer
Tri-State Addict

Member #16147

My Ride:
2015 Tacoma.

Could be something in one of the brakes or the suspension that only rattle at certain rpms.

I once had what I thought was a cv axle clicking,so I bought an axle. Turns out it was my caliper was loose and just needed to be tightened. So something could be loose anywhere.
schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Erik
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1962

My Ride:

hm. like i said, ive been looking every where for months regarding this sound. i realized today it seems to happen when things start to warm up, not coolant but perhaps everything under the car gets hot.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
Maybe a long shot, but maybe the sounds internal? When someone says pinging / tinging I think detonation. Does it sound like your driving over gravel and its hitting the under body type sound? Or BB's in a coffee can?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
300zx_tt
Tri-State Addict

Member #13531

When I hit certain rpms my hood pings and bangs lol
I think the reason you had such a miserable time is because you neglected to urinate on yourself. I believe another contributing factor is your diet. You mentioned nothing about eating raw snakes... not even one "moral booster" snack of a handful of maggots. The first sign that things weren't right was the minute you decided to build an igloo instead of climbing inside an animal carcass. I think you failed because you lack dedication.
300zx_tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
saxon
Tri-State Addict

Member #21656

My Ride:
2015 m3

Have you ever shut down the engine while at speed to see if its engine related or just an external part
saxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Erik
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1962

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon View Post
Have you ever shut down the engine while at speed to see if its engine related or just an external part
thats a good point. I havent tried that. Someone else on another mazda forum asked about detonation, thinking i advanced my timing, though im almost positive it never has been by the PO. It doesnt happen at idle, so i am assuming its atleast affected by the engine, whether its through the transmission, or what not. ill try cutting the engine tomorrow. that will atleast determine if it is suspension related or drive shaft related, right?

Old 04-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
thats a good point. I havent tried that. Someone else on another mazda forum asked about detonation, thinking i advanced my timing, though im almost positive it never has been by the PO. It doesnt happen at idle, so i am assuming its atleast affected by the engine, whether its through the transmission, or what not. ill try cutting the engine tomorrow. that will atleast determine if it is suspension related or drive shaft related, right?
Have you recently started going to a different gas station? Or maybe using a lesser grade fuel? Could be bad gas causing det. MAYBE, I'd rather not jump to worse case.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
TNTramair
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1299

if it only happens during hard accel or WOT than id lean toward detonation. shutting the engine off at high rpms if not a very idea IMO. i would try higher octane fuel and see what happens...if you're allready doin this than just back the timing down a bit and see if that helps.
2006 Yamaha R1 50th ann.
TNTramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
bordin34
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16443

My Ride:
1973 Dodge Charger SE......1974 Plymouth Valiant

Do miatas have an oil pressure gauge. If they do where does it read?
1974 Charger SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto-Sold,in Croatia
Mahwah,NJ
bordin34 is offline   Reply With Quote