TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-13-2007, 01:05 AM   #1
the4g63
Tri-State Addict

Member #5544

My Ride:
Evo IX SE

Send a message via AIM to the4g63
Career guidance. IT professionals?

Well, I'm at community college right now just taking basic classes. Trying to catch up on math. I've been trying to decide on a career path. I'm really interested in IT. I love working with computers and networking. I've built a few computers and such. I just don't know how to go about it. DCCC offers an IT associates degree with a network engineering option. Should I do that or transfer to PSU Delco and do the bachelor's in IT? I really don't know. If anyone can chime in and tell me about your experiences and how you got there, that would be great! I'm LOST!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
Vypurr
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #58

My Ride:
06' SGM STi / 05' ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to Vypurr
Transfer to Delco. Get involved in the IST Program. It is a really good program. You will have a TON of PSU alumni who are looking to hire. And PSU has tons of companies come in to look for employees! I am at PSU University Park in the IST program and don't expect to graduate without a guaranteed job.
Gentleman do what ever it takes to empty our coffers lapdances, champagne dances, shower dances. Oh the things you can buy for a handfull of bills. It makes me excited. It gives me the chills. Thell be filcher rubs, breeders, hambones and tweeners, zobos and debos and blorps that go eenah. for a one dollar bill you can pull down their zippers.
I am the snorlax, I speak for the strippers!
Vypurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:59 AM   #3
J.Ralli
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4202

My Ride:
Just a Lancer and a Civic

Send a message via AIM to J.Ralli Send a message via Yahoo to J.Ralli
come to psu delco, ill make u one of my officers in the IST club next year lol
Quote:
CleanNeon98 is the kind of guy that wold sit in the corner crying if the world would ever be ending and he would want someone like J.Ralli to bring him a razor.
J.Ralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:59 AM   #4
J.Ralli
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4202

My Ride:

lets all rephrase that, PSU Brandywine
Quote:
CleanNeon98 is the kind of guy that wold sit in the corner crying if the world would ever be ending and he would want someone like J.Ralli to bring him a razor.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:08 AM   #5
the4g63
Tri-State Addict

Member #5544

My Ride:
Evo IX SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ralli View Post
lets all rephrase that, PSU Brandywine
HA, I saw that commercial. I was like "...Brandywine's 20 miles away?"

Thanks Vypurr and J.Ralli. I'm gonna transfer, but it'll be awhile yet.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

It's been said but yeah definately transfer. Also take some classes on business and public speaking, they will help more then you can imagine.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Send a message via AIM to TGilb2007 Send a message via MSN to TGilb2007 Send a message via Yahoo to TGilb2007
Minus the choice in schools, I also agree with transfering to a 4-yr school, and getting you bacholors. The company I work for (American Power Conversion) hires a TON of PSU grads as well, and we are constantly looking for more people.

And as for the business and public speaking classes, those are also really nice to have. It helps a lot not only with the interview, but if you want to do something in IT, but not just regular administration jobs or stuff like that, having the ability to present yourself is a valueable skill.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

It really depends on what in IT you want to do...

What do you want to do? Web Development, Network admin, DB admin, etc?
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
It really depends on what in IT you want to do...

What do you want to do? Web Development, Network admin, DB admin, etc?
That's a good point. Now is not the time to be generic in what you want. Networking and Security is where a lot of the money is right now if you have the right excperience and education. Try to stay away from being that guy that upgrades memory and crap like that.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:21 AM   #10
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender81 View Post
That's a good point. Now is not the time to be generic in what you want. Networking and Security is where a lot of the money is right now if you have the right excperience and education. Try to stay away from being that guy that upgrades memory and crap like that.
the reason I say is, I have a course in java programming under my belt. And right now I do web development on major webstores for major companies. Granted, I don't do the hard stuff. Mostly cosmetic changes since I have experience in html and css mostly. My experience in java and jscript is limited, but growing quickly due to the job.

I make a crap load of money too, without a degree. A degree in CIS is worth less than hands on experience. IE: You get someone with a 4 year degree applying for the same job someone with 4 years job experience in the same subject will get the job, and get paid more.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

In a lot of cases that's true, I'm self taught at what I do. However I plan getting the degree because the degree and the excperience together are gold.

EMD you should see about getting an entry level position, Intern or CDP position over the summers so when you are done with school you'll be in good. Oh and just so you know I don't mean go work for the local Best Buy or Circuit City as a geek, nerd, dog, frog or whatever else they call themselves.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
the4g63
Tri-State Addict

Member #5544

My Ride:
Evo IX SE

Good advice guys. I want to get into networking.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #13
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

There are many types of admins, do some research and see what fits you best

2013 Nissan Juke, 1.6T/Auto/FWD (wife's car lol
)
Intercooled T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #14
J.Ralli
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4202

My Ride:

PSU Brandywine just started the Security Risk Analysis? (SRA major) its sounds really good and im thinking about that major... its a division of IST so its a plus
Quote:
Old 11-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #15
MPowerKai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1011

My Ride:
Mongoose

Send a message via AIM to MPowerKai
I am in a network plus class right now, I wanted to bang my head on the desk.

Oh about building computers my teacher actually said something about that a couple of days he ago. He said, "I don't care how many computers you have built. I am not asking you to build me a computer, I am asking you to fix a computer."
Old 11-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #16
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerKai View Post
Oh about building computers my teacher actually said something about that a couple of days he ago. He said, "I don't care how many computers you have built. I am not asking you to build me a computer, I am asking you to fix a computer."
exactly... anyone can build a computer
Old 11-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #17
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Send a message via AIM to TGilb2007 Send a message via MSN to TGilb2007 Send a message via Yahoo to TGilb2007
If you are into artwork, drawing, animation or stuff like that, look into working/intern for a video game studio as well. I know a lot are hiring new people to work on stuff like that...

Just another suggestion
Old 11-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #18
the4g63
Tri-State Addict

Member #5544

My Ride:
Evo IX SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
exactly... anyone can build a computer
True, but it helps to give a basic understanding of how the components work together, and an understanding can go a long way. That was my point. Especially if you enjoy doing it.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #19
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emd645e3 View Post
True, but it helps to give a basic understanding of how the components work together, and an understanding can go a long way. That was my point. Especially if you enjoy doing it.
Nothing wrong with enjoying it but I think anymore the point is an 8 year old could build a pc (and I know at least one who has).

Old 11-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #20
driftingrx5.7
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3099

My Ride:
88 rx5.7

Send a message via AIM to driftingrx5.7 Send a message via Yahoo to driftingrx5.7
let me tell you one thing! being that (as i am typing right now i am at work) i am in the IT world make sure you pick something that you really love to do. and pick an area in what you want to do!! and what ever you do in what ever field you don't need to start at the bottom of the pile with the BS. I went to college and i was told i need to do data entry and answer phone to move up in the IT world. i hated and i mean hated working on the phones i did it for two weeks and quit. did data entry for about 3 months and started looking for something more in my field. I am not the head Tech for warren county school district and i love it. and that is me going on a total of 3 years of IT work. so just bust your ass do good understand everything and never stop learning. if you need any help pm me any time man! the IT world sucks to get into but once your in it, IT GREAT and can be easy!!

driftingrx5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote