TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Vendor Marketplace > Parts and Vendor Reviews
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
CarbonIS
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #301

Send a message via AIM to CarbonIS
Mishimoto Radiator

Just installed my Mishimoto High Performance radiator last week and it's awesome!

The install was definitely easy (despite the huge mess I made when I drained the stock radiator).
The Mishimoto slipped right into place, the fans attached quickly and easily with no fitment issues at all!
I also installed the Mishimoto radiator hoses with the radiator.

Overall I've noticed a slight dip in the temperature gauge (no actual numbers as of yet), but any way
to lower the running temperature of the car definitely has its performance benefits.

I would definitely suggest this radiator to all other subaru owners, the price is low and the rewards are high.

to Mishimoto!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
I hear ya, but as the saying goes,"You can live in your car, but you can't [dyno] your house."
Quote:
Women suck balls on occasion, right?
I never had a woman suck on my back...so...
CarbonIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
PaleDSM
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #274

Did you bolt up stock fans and shrouds or Mishimoto slim fans?

2000 MR2 Spyder (Yellow)
2013 Hyundai Elantra
PaleDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

Send a message via AIM to teh DIRT
lower temps actually reduce power in most cases. But most likely you wont notice it once you rip on it because the temps will raise as usual.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor

Member #3958

My Ride:
the one in the back of the shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh DIRT View Post
lower temps actually reduce power in most cases. But most likely you wont notice it once you rip on it because the temps will raise as usual.

That is true to a point....but the statement is a little to broad to stop there. Lower temps do effect performance when they are too low, but dropping your temps a few degrees allow you to build higher cylinder temps without running hotter which leads to more power. without getting into specifics (such as vehicle, mods, ECU, and actual temps) its just talking generalizations. I agree too cold is def no good, but running 5-10 degrees cooler, the ecu probaly isnt retarding timing or adding fuel(but that is also an assumption, cause on some cars it might). Also i think the factories are running cars hotter nowadays to help better control emissions, more so then to gain power. But in the end it all depends on how everything was designed. I agree with ya i just wanted to contribute to the thread....

Also this is assuming all on a factory ECU without being able to control such parameters...

Vince@R/TTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
CHAOS
TST Ruined My Life!
Banned

Member #2120

My Ride:
1984 Cadillac Brougham

im wondering how this will effect warm up times in winter.. but i guess since you have a DD it wont matter lol

also, did you change the thermostat or is it stock?
CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
CarbonIS
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #301

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleDSM View Post
Did you bolt up stock fans and shrouds or Mishimoto slim fans?
Stock fans and shrouds. I'll be looking into the slim fans soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh DIRT View Post
Really? I wouldn't think that....why does anyone produce an aftermarket radiator then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOS View Post
im wondering how this will effect warm up times in winter.. but i guess since you have a DD it wont matter lol

also, did you change the thermostat or is it stock?
Stock thermostat for now, but I'm going to be putting in an order for a zero/sports thermostat soon.

Quote:
I hear ya, but as the saying goes,"You can live in your car, but you can't [dyno] your house."
Quote:
Old 05-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonIS View Post

Really? I wouldn't think that....why does anyone produce an aftermarket radiator then?

well the rad doesnt have any effect on temp being that the thermostat is stock. Aftermarket rads are used because in racing apps so much heat is created that they need a more effecient rad to keep the temps where they usually are....not cooler. naaa mean?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #8
97`Rolla
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3928

My Ride:
09 Ruckus

up buddy of mine has on in a civic. half rad duel core, fit and looks great!
97`Rolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

to add, most cars that we know of run around 180-190. Manufacturers are running newer cars in some cases upto 210F for better effieciency.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
CarbonIS
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #301

ahhhh gotcha. so if i get the thermostat the car is supposedly going to run up to 24degrees farenheight cooler...

so that means my car will perform worse?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-20-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

In my personal opinion, yes. Your engine is designed to run at a certain temperature, that being 180-190 degrees. If you take it out of that range the odds of the ECU adding unneeded fuel and even pulling timing are very good. Cooler is not always better when you are talking about the engine itself. Sure you want the intake charge to be cool, but not the engine.

This can be seen a lot on dynos. First pull will make 200 lets say, second pull will make 210. The engine is warmer, the tolerances are tighter...the efficiency is at its "best".
Old 05-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

Send a message via AIM to RyanG
Pete is 100% correct. Unless you are beating hte piss out of the car 80% of the time a larger core isnt needed. Im still running my RS radiator (which is less efficient than a WRX) and the temps are still rock solid . The hotter she gets, the better she runs

RyanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #13
PaleDSM
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #274

There is a window that the ecu doesn't touch timing in most cars. You can go cooler to a point with no problem and some benefit as Vince posted. Under a certain point and your timing and fuel maps are effected and too hot and the same happens.

The aluminum rads are more efficient which will keep the car cooler under demanding conditions where the factory rad would have started to be overwhelmed and couldn't shed heat fast enough.

On a street car they are probably just bling. On a car that sees road courses, drifting, long AutoX courses, etc. they are definately money well spent. In these scenerious the stocker would have not been enough and you would be running overly high coolant temps.

2000 MR2 Spyder (Yellow)
2013 Hyundai Elantra
PaleDSM is offline   Reply With Quote