TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 06-22-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
peteyturbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1450

The E85 thread! Tuning/Locations/ect.

I have converted my Evo to E85 and it is the best mod I have done so far. There are many benifits and few drawbacks but the main drawback is the lack of E85 stations and innaccuracy of online sites that locate the pumps. I now have 2 pumps that I fill up at but if anyone knows any other stations please chime in!

12th & Vine Philadelphia
3.58/Gal
Lehigh Valley Service plaza on the NE extension of the turnpike
3.17/Gal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

peteyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
I will buy new injectors and up the boost even more as soon as this **** comes to more gas stations around here. I can't find any that are local enough for it to be at all practical.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

To the best of my knowledge, a lot of guys with SRs just dump 15% more fuel and let her rip. This looks to be promising in terms of tuning...
Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_ View Post
To the best of my knowledge, a lot of guys with SRs just dump 15% more fuel and let her rip. This looks to be promising in terms of tuning...
E85. Pretty simple. 85% ethanol, 15% 87 octane. Octane rating, 104. Price is relatively low too. Basically, the **** is straight up cheap race gas that burns cooler than race gas.

Due to ethanol's burning properties, in order to produce the same amount of power you will need more volume of fuel. General consensus is about 15-20% more fuel. If you have a standard wideband, you can tune to gasoline AFRs because of the way the wideband interprets it's readings.

Because of the octane rating those of you with adjustable timing can also add more to make more power. In other words, you will need to tune for the fuel just like everything else. I personally wouldn't just swap to E85 with a fuel change, the considerably higher octane will need to be accounted for as well otherwise you're really just losing power. Yes, you can run more boost with E85... but you need to tune the car still.

There's a 7xxwhp hatch on this website who's using it.

Hope that answers all the questions.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
peteyturbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1450

Actually closer 30% enrichment from what I have seen and its rated at 105 I believe. BUT it has a larger max power rich and max power lean window so you can run safely from about ~9.5-12.5AFR on a gas calibrated wideband and still make decent power..With such good cyl temp. cooling properties people are running as high as 13 afr's but the gain is not even all that much.
Those are just some of the benifits not to mention the inside of my exhaust tip is bling bling, no more noxious exhaust odor, and it comes from a renewable rescource..
Please no posts complaining about food for the poor going to make ethanol, it is simply not true, just a heads up
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovXietday View Post
E85. Pretty simple. 85% ethanol, 15% 87 octane. Octane rating, 104. Price is relatively low too. Basically, the **** is straight up cheap race gas that burns cooler than race gas.

Due to ethanol's burning properties, in order to produce the same amount of power you will need more volume of fuel. General consensus is about 15-20% more fuel. If you have a standard wideband, you can tune to gasoline AFRs because of the way the wideband interprets it's readings.

Because of the octane rating those of you with adjustable timing can also add more to make more power. In other words, you will need to tune for the fuel just like everything else. I personally wouldn't just swap to E85 with a fuel change, the considerably higher octane will need to be accounted for as well otherwise you're really just losing power. Yes, you can run more boost with E85... but you need to tune the car still.

There's a 7xxwhp hatch on this website who's using it.

Hope that answers all the questions.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

^ Good ****, didn't know about the AFR window.

I want this stuff around here so damn bad.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2008, 12:13 AM   #7
peteyturbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1450

I was going to only run it when I went to the track as a race gas alternative but now that they have one near Allentown (which is where I usually go back and fourth from) has made it easier for me to run it all the time. It takes me 10 min to get to 12th and vine so it's not so bad either..I have a patch for my ecu calibrated to run with a GM Flex fuel sensor, all I need is the sensor and I can mix and match as much as I would like and let the ECU interpolate my fuel and ignition accordingly which is pretty cool, I just don't have the 3-400 to spend on the damn flex fuel sensor
Quote:
I will buy new injectors and up the boost even more as soon as this **** comes to more gas stations around here. I can't find any that are local enough for it to be at all practical.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #8
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyturbo View Post
I was going to only run it when I went to the track as a race gas alternative but now that they have one near Allentown (which is where I usually go back and fourth from) has made it easier for me to run it all the time. It takes me 10 min to get to 12th and vine so it's not so bad either..I have a patch for my ecu calibrated to run with a GM Flex fuel sensor, all I need is the sensor and I can mix and match as much as I would like and let the ECU interpolate my fuel and ignition accordingly which is pretty cool, I just don't have the 3-400 to spend on the damn flex fuel sensor
I have to put bigger injectors in the Civic before I can convert over. Unfortunately, 780ccs are almost tapped out just on pump.

I'd run it just on the track but I have to tune for the fuel individually. But it could definitely a possibility.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
underpressure02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #645

Quote:
I have to put bigger injectors in the Civic before I can convert over. Unfortunately, 780ccs are almost tapped out just on pump.

I'd run it just on the track but I have to tune for the fuel individually. But it could definitely a possibility.
How much power are you making on your sohc that you are almost tapping out 780's?

Northeast Drag Racing Club/Performance Parts Webstore
underpressure02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
Action Park
Tri-State Addict

Member #2802

My Ride:
bug and a rabbit

Is it really mixed with 87? I'm not too certain on these octane ratings for e85. 104, 105? Pure ethanol has an octane rating of only 100, but has a much higher equivalency due to its latent heat of evaporization. Same with meth- actually 99 octane but in terms of an anti-detonant, it's equivalent to about 130 compared to petrol. As stated before, these alcohols also have much better rich flammibility. Meaning that "lean is mean" does'nt apply to alcohol, unlike petrol. One cant just effectively add a certain percentage of fuel based on stoic, it has to be tuned proper. Erring to the rich might just net better gains than the other way around.
93 93/93
Action Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpressure02 View Post
How much power are you making on your sohc that you are almost tapping out 780's?
Honestly, I don't know. I haven't put it on the dyno, just street tuned for now.

Hondata duty cycle is reading ~80-85% duty cycle on the injectors. 11.5s at 22psi. I would have bump to 1000s and an injector driver for E85. I don't like going much over 90% as far as injector duty cycle goes, 100% just means the injector is slammed open and there is no regulation what so ever.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Time for my question of ignorance. What all must one do when converting your car to run on E85? I don't have any near me, but when I do, it's something I'm interested in switching to. I understand larger injectors are needed to flow more fuel, (plus the proper tuning) but is that all?

Quote:
But what if they encouraged it AND the stickers turn out to be awesome? They COULD POSSIBLY say something like "I love Mike and would turn gay for his tattooed, bmw driving, new york living ass". just saying.
twastheglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
underpressure02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #645

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know. I haven't put it on the dyno, just street tuned for now.

Hondata duty cycle is reading ~80-85% duty cycle on the injectors. 11.5s at 22psi. I would have bump to 1000s and an injector driver for E85. I don't like going much over 90% as far as injector duty cycle goes, 100% just means the injector is slammed open and there is no regulation what so ever.

I just ask b/c I am making over 500 on 780's with 40 psi base pressure.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #14
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Quote:
I just ask b/c I am making over 500 on 780's with 40 psi base pressure.
You're engine is probably more efficient than mine, lol. That and, don't you have a 6cyl? Honestly, I don't understand how my injectors are at the duty cycle they're at either. But reguardless, I need more fuel anyway. Heck, I might just get 1600ccs so that I never have to get another pair again, injector size really doesn't matter too much.

Quote:
Time for my question of ignorance. What all must one do when converting your car to run on E85? I don't have any near me, but when I do, it's something I'm interested in switching to. I understand larger injectors are needed to flow more fuel, (plus the proper tuning) but is that all?
Bigger injectors, a pump that will support the extra fuel, and tuning. You'll be able to run race gas like boost with race gas like numbers from the pump.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #15
underpressure02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #645

Quote:
You're engine is probably more efficient than mine, lol. That and, don't you have a 6cyl? Honestly, I don't understand how my injectors are at the duty cycle they're at either. But reguardless, I need more fuel anyway. Heck, I might just get 1600ccs so that I never have to get another pair again, injector size really doesn't matter too much.
Not unless honda made ls/vtec's in 6 cylinders. I would not go with 1600 if you are going to daily drive the car

Old 06-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #16
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
Quote:
Not unless honda made ls/vtec's in 6 cylinders. I would not go with 1600 if you are going to daily drive the car
werd injector size matters- pintles are too heavy
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #17
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Quote:
Oops, confused you with the guy with the beamer build.

I haven't daily driven the car in over a year. Reguardless, it's all just random here-say and me banking ideas off myself lol. And yeah, an LSV would have made about 450ish with the setup in my car no problem.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2008, 11:55 PM   #18
shuttlegoose
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2248

My Ride:
06 Evo ix Apex Silver

i wouldn't mind doing this with my evo as well, as soon as more gas stations come around with it. my question is with all this added fuel and larger injectors in order to run 85, would it be cost effective even at say 3.50 gal if your getting worse mpg because of the increase in fuel? i don't know what type of gas mileage you are getting, i just assumed it would be less because of the added fuel. if not then e85 is where its at!!!
shuttlegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #19
peteyturbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1450

Cost vs. mileage breaks about even. But you have the added performance and environmental benifits E85..
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttlegoose View Post
i wouldn't mind doing this with my evo as well, as soon as more gas stations come around with it. my question is with all this added fuel and larger injectors in order to run 85, would it be cost effective even at say 3.50 gal if your getting worse mpg because of the increase in fuel? i don't know what type of gas mileage you are getting, i just assumed it would be less because of the added fuel. if not then e85 is where its at!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #20
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
Petey good to see you around these ways again. Haven't seen your evo out in NE philly in a long time.

I'd love to set my car up for this but I'm going to wait a while longer, do more research and hope a station pops up near me. So far from what I'm seeing it seems like a great way to go.

Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote