TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Regional (Yup, Tri-State is really Five-State) > Pennsylvania
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
sry110
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1924

My Ride:
2006 350z, 2012 S4

Subaru shop / mechanic near West Chester needed

I just picked up a used 2003 WRX that is having an idle issue that I want to get checked out. Hopefully it's just a vacuum leak but I'm not sure where / how to find it. Anyone know of a good shop / mechanic around West Chester or Exton area that specializes in Subaru's?
sry110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
BustedUjoint
Tri-State Addict

Member #8107

My Ride:
2008 Unlimited Rubicon

Send a message via AIM to BustedUjoint
Quote:
Originally Posted by sry110 View Post
I just picked up a used 2003 WRX that is having an idle issue that I want to get checked out. Hopefully it's just a vacuum leak but I'm not sure where / how to find it. Anyone know of a good shop / mechanic around West Chester or Exton area that specializes in Subaru's?
What's the issue? Are you having random High RPM spikes? If so, try adjusting the Cruise Control cable all the way out. I was having the issue for months and that finally fixed it. If not, there are a few things you can try. Otherwise, I highly recommend Ryan over at Area1320 (Easton).

You can check out THIS thread that I posted. There also may be some info in THIS thread. An other thing to check would be your IAC and to clean that out. VERY easy, 2-3 screws and then spray throttle body cleaner in it to clean it out. Mine was disgusting. There is a HOW TO link in my 2nd thread. Good luck.
i finger myself to latin jazz sometimes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BustedUjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
sry110
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1924

My Ride:
2006 350z, 2012 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedUjoint View Post
What's the issue? Are you having random High RPM spikes? If so, try adjusting the Cruise Control cable all the way out. I was having the issue for months and that finally fixed it. If not, there are a few things you can try. Otherwise, I highly recommend Ryan over at Area1320 (Easton).

You can check out THIS thread that I posted. There also may be some info in THIS thread. An other thing to check would be your IAC and to clean that out. VERY easy, 2-3 screws and then spray throttle body cleaner in it to clean it out. Mine was disgusting. There is a HOW TO link in my 2nd thread. Good luck.
The issue is like the thread you posted, where my idle drops to ~200 RPM, car sputters a bit and almost stalls, then jumps back up to ~500-600 RPM and idles there. Even at ~500 RPM the idle is kind of rough and more burbly and shaky than it should be in my opinion. Mine drops when I rev the engine unloaded (in neutral or in gear with the clutch pedal on the floow) and let it come back down. It hits the normal idle point momentarily, then dips down to the point of almost stalling, then jumps back up to ~500-600 RPM and stays pretty much there.

I was reading a procedure on NASIOC yesterday for cleaning the IACV so that's my next step. Yesterday I cleaned my MAF and checked around for any loose connections in the tubes / hoses under the hood. But I'm not sure whether that made any difference.

One of the guys on NASIOC seems to think I have an intake or boost leak somewhere but I'm not quite sure how to track that down.
sry110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
BustedUjoint
Tri-State Addict

Member #8107

My Ride:
2008 Unlimited Rubicon

Send a message via AIM to BustedUjoint
Quote:
Originally Posted by sry110 View Post
The issue is like the thread you posted, where my idle drops to ~200 RPM, car sputters a bit and almost stalls, then jumps back up to ~500-600 RPM and idles there. Even at ~500 RPM the idle is kind of rough and more burbly and shaky than it should be in my opinion. Mine drops when I rev the engine unloaded (in neutral or in gear with the clutch pedal on the floow) and let it come back down. It hits the normal idle point momentarily, then dips down to the point of almost stalling, then jumps back up to ~500-600 RPM and stays pretty much there.

I was reading a procedure on NASIOC yesterday for cleaning the IACV so that's my next step. Yesterday I cleaned my MAF and checked around for any loose connections in the tubes / hoses under the hood. But I'm not sure whether that made any difference.

One of the guys on NASIOC seems to think I have an intake or boost leak somewhere but I'm not quite sure how to track that down.
I had a lot of those suggestions about the lines, but that wasn't the case. Clean the IAC, you cleaned the MAF already, so check that off the list. And try doing the TSB I posted as well. I would THINK that should solve your issue. If not, maybe take it for a smoke test? I'm not sure how to check those lines either. Sorry.
i finger myself to latin jazz sometimes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BustedUjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:06 PM
jo6wo
This message has been deleted by doug.