TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #61
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Progress! woo!

Seriously, glad to hear you're already so competitive in the CSP car! Also great that your wife is enjoying the white car and picking up pace. Making it a family activity is much more fun
Yeah I just need to get her to maintain it now haha.

Overall these cars have been a pretty rewarding experience. I used to be a Miata hater (i still don't like the lack of power) but owning/building these cars has changed my mind. They're just kind of enjoyable and when something goes wrong its cheap enough that you don't care.

Next year I definitely want to make it to the big events and probably nationals. That also means I plan to have the car at the pointy end.

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #62
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Pointy end CSP cars are few and far between in our area. I haven't seen a properly quick CSP locally since the year I started autocrossing, I think.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #63
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Somebody finally took some pictures.

These are from pocono. I really need to work on my seating position.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 07-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #64
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Haha, that thing is gnarly looking man.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #65
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

This was supposed to be a post about swapping power steering and front subframe from the NB parts car. That turned into that all that plus rear subframe and rear diff.

So the car now has better front suspension geometry, power steering, and torsen rear diff. Sweet! It will be a different car thats for sure, well see how it does autocrossing this weekend. It was nice to move it around and not feel like I was going to rip the steering wheel off.

Engine support while changing front subframe

Old subframes

This is how many bolts were in the driveshaft to the rear diff. For those that cant count thats one . Thats how I was racing haha, never noticed. Thank god it doesnt make any power.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 08-07-2017, 10:57 PM   #66
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Wow, that's.. uh.. just a little scary, haha
Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 AM   #67
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Wow, that's.. uh.. just a little scary, haha
Agreed. I have found a few things that I cant believe would be left like that but thought I fixed most of them. I guess that's what you get when buy a car that's clearly been abused.

The lack of bolting was clearly an unfair weight advantage, it will probably be slower now haha.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 08-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #68
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Morbid Curiosity

I noticed alot of movement of the input shaft of the old rear diff. I was hoping to sell it but wanted to be sure I knew hat I had. Turns out racing with one bolt in the driveshaft ruins input shaft bearings (who woulda guessed).

The input shaft was so loose it was hitting the diff carrier . It also broke a few ring gear teeth. Never saw anything like this before, I cant believe it held together at all.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 08-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #69
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

As soon as I saw the marks on the diff I was wondering if it was from the pinion hitting it... wow.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #70
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

NEPASCCA LCCC review

So we went autocrossing again this weekend. I would call it okay, nothing broke, but the driving was only okay for the wife and I. I also keep forgetting my damn GoPro.

I ran a 45.1, 7th raw time, 18th in PAX, out of 67. I was far behind drivers that I would expect to be close too.

Excuses:

Brakes
I changed the front brake pads over to HP+ like the rear. This threw the balance off and I kept locking up the front tires because I don't know how to drive without ABS apparently. Therefore, I kept missing corners.

Torsen Rearend
The car has also been on the loose side, but that's kind of how I like it. The extra lock of the rear, or maybe the extra caster in the front, has made it looser. I spun twice.

Solutions:
Brake proportioning valve to try and balance the braking.
Remove rear sway bar (all the big dogs don't run a rear bar). Should increase rear traction.

Those are the only immediate changes I have planned at this point.

The wife drove the white car slower than expected too. I'm not sure why, it has a bigger front sway bar in it now but that makes the car feel better to me. She is still figuring it out a little.

Picture from the weekend, wife is in her car.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 08-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #71
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Aren't Miatas known for locking front brakes so people run ****ty parts store front pads? Seems like the easy button was what you had
Old 08-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #72
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Aren't Miatas known for locking front brakes so people run ****ty parts store front pads? Seems like the easy button was what you had
Yeah sometimes that is the case haha. A finely tuned + good brake pad system should have a higher threshold though. So long as the driver can actually use it .

I can see why people want anitlock brakes in there CSP car. Maybe something Ill have to look into. Probably means buying another car though...

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 08-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #73
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Sure it should be better, but isn't there lower hanging fruit? lol

ABS is good... prevents turning the Hoosiers into worthless trash after one flat spot
Old 08-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #74
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Sure it should be better, but isn't there lower hanging fruit? lol

ABS is good... prevents turning the Hoosiers into worthless trash after one flat spot
Proportioning valve is actually quite easy to install. Basically disconnect the stock one and reconnect the adjustable. So it is a low hanging fruit. ABS, not so much.

I don't really have to many low hangers anymore .

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 08-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #75
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Sounds like a no brainer then. You running fall Pocono events?
Old 08-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #76
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Sounds like a no brainer then. You running fall Pocono events?
Yes I plan to. You?

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 08-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #77
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Should be there. If it works out, I'd like a ride. Never ridden along with Hoosiers
Old 08-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #78
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Should be there. If it works out, I'd like a ride. Never ridden along with Hoosiers
Your more than welcome. Ive never ridden in a mustang neither

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 08-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #79
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Proportioning valve installed. I still need to dial it in. Its a 30 minute install.

I was tired doing real performance adding things so I added some fender flares. Only got to the rears, at least I don't have to look at my terrible trim job.

This arrived. A used MSlabs MS3 megasquirt. Hoping to start learning to use this thing before I attempt the motor swap and ITB set-up.

Otherwise the white car is suffering some old car problems. Brakes are dragging, appears just need some slider lubrication. Headlights stopped working, no idea why. Windows have always been slow, but now one doesn't move at all. I'm still not mad haha.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 09-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #80
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

PCA Rocks

A few weeks ago I went to a PCA autocross at pocono. For those that are into autocross, I would highly recommend going if they do it again. It was the first "autocross" I ever thought I was going to top out third gear. My friend was doing 89mph accoring to his GPS. And we got like 12 runs.

That being said, the miata doesn't make enough power for courses like this and I got beat by a few cars that I would expect to beat. I was full throttle from the first turn all the way to the other end of the back stretch. My fastest a 53.3 and I think the fastest was a 51.2.

I actually remembered my Gopro so here are some videos.

Ends with a Spin
https://youtu.be/IU2lcg5AUC0

Fastest
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=aetnwJsJraQ

I also started to fiddle around with the NB engine (meaning I put it on the stand), and the megasquirt (I downloaded tuner studio)

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-