TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-01-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
StevEvo
Noob-Jersey

Member #376

Emissions Inspection

Hey People great meet last night at Absolute. Quick question are there any emissions friendly inspection stations in the Levittown area. I have a 2003 Evo with a test pipe and really don't want to put the cat back on for the inspection. Any help would be appreciated. BTW it has the cell fix and doesn't throw any codes.
StevEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:20 AM   #2
smp606
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #454

Re: Emissions Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevEvo
Hey People great meet last night at Absolute. Quick question are there any emissions friendly inspection stations in the Levittown area. I have a 2003 Evo with a test pipe and really don't want to put the cat back on for the inspection. Any help would be appreciated. BTW it has the cell fix and doesn't throw any codes.
As long as your car is not throwing a CEL, and all readiness codes are set in the ECU, you should pass.

what exactly is the "CEL Fix" ?
Greddy Profec-B Spec II
Buddy Club II
smp606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
StevEvo
Noob-Jersey

Member #376

There are either mechanical or electrical fixes that keep the computer from seeing that there is no catalytic converter.

I am using the mechanical fix which just removes the oxygen sensor away from the exhaust stream. Almost two weeks since work was done on car and no SEL yet. Knock on wood.
StevEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #4
Chair-Force
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #278

My Ride:
yo st8 driftin, b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp606
Quote:
As long as your car is not throwing a CEL, and all readiness codes are set in the ECU, you should pass.

You'll pass the emission part but you'll fail the visual inspection part.

Some mechanics are too lazy look or dont care but legally it would fail visual.
Chair-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
sfd
Tri-State Addict

Member #405

My Ride:
2014 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chair-Force
Quote:
Quote:

yea i was about to say, you'd fail a visual test. and visual is usually quick and easy...as well as where people get nailed. Consider that other counties don't have emission testing, its only visual. When i bought my car i couldn't get it to pass emissions. no one ever knew there was a problem because where i bought the car they only did visuall.

btw how do you plan to pass emissions without a cat even without it throwing codes? codes or no codes, the emitted exhaust has a higher reading. There are 3 tests and let me tell you, from others I've spoken with our numbers are hella high/hard to pass.

i think you'd have it easier to find a mechanic who isnt too hard up on the numbers rather than a visual test. it's a lot harder to prove your car was illegally passed from an emission test than visual. If you ever got pulled over, what are the chances a cop is going to say let me see your emission testing print out? But he may just look under the car. Then you're screwed and so is the mechanic.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:26 PM   #6
Zeropistonz
Tri-State Addict

Member #90

My Ride:
Spinning Doritos

Send a message via AIM to Zeropistonz
I work at a Mitsubishi dealership... PM me for details.

93' FD (Rx-7)
91' FC (Rx-7)
05' FE (Rx-8)
Zeropistonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:40 PM   #7
smp606

Member #454

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yea i was about to say, you'd fail a visual test. and visual is usually quick and easy...as well as where people get nailed. Consider that other counties don't have emission testing, its only visual. When i bought my car i couldn't get it to pass emissions. no one ever knew there was a problem because where i bought the car they only did visuall.

btw how do you plan to pass emissions without a cat even without it throwing codes? codes or no codes, the emitted exhaust has a higher reading. There are 3 tests and let me tell you, from others I've spoken with our numbers are hella high/hard to pass.

i think you'd have it easier to find a mechanic who isnt too hard up on the numbers rather than a visual test. it's a lot harder to prove your car was illegally passed from an emission test than visual. If you ever got pulled over, what are the chances a cop is going to say let me see your emission testing print out? But he may just look under the car. Then you're screwed and so is the mechanic.
I have seen a few places only go by the OBDII readiness codes and could care less about a visual...why? Because theoretically if the car was putting out higher than normal exhaust emissions, the ECU would see this on the secoondary o2 and throw a code causing a CEL and failure of your emissions test.

I would say talk to someone who knows of a place that just does the enhanced emissions test without a real visual and give it a shot.
Greddy Profec-B Spec II
Buddy Club II
Old 07-07-2005, 10:02 PM   #8
sfd
Tri-State Addict

Member #405

My Ride:
2014 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have seen a few places only go by the OBDII readiness codes and could care less about a visual...why? Because theoretically if the car was putting out higher than normal exhaust emissions, the ECU would see this on the secoondary o2 and throw a code causing a CEL and failure of your emissions test.

I would say talk to someone who knows of a place that just does the enhanced emissions test without a real visual and give it a shot.
To be honest, I wouldn't want a shop like that touching my car. Unless they are only specific to 1995.5 and up models. Otherwise, that's a load of crap. What about anything running OBD1 or older? What about a car running some type of stand alone or tap in computer system? The computer may not be compensating as expected or reprogrammed for something else (i.e. F/I) and they just basically plugged a sensor to your muffler for $50 of nothing.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 PM   #9
smp606

Member #454

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

To be honest, I wouldn't want a shop like that touching my car. Unless they are only specific to 1995.5 and up models. Otherwise, that's a load of crap. What about anything running OBD1 or older? What about a car running some type of stand alone or tap in computer system? The computer may not be compensating as expected or reprogrammed for something else (i.e. F/I) and they just basically plugged a sensor to your muffler for $50 of nothing.
This is only done with OBDII vehicles (96 and up) as they have readiness codes for emissions purposes. With older OBDI vehicles, the sniffer test is the primary means of testing emissions. (O2 sensor in the tail pipe)
Greddy Profec-B Spec II
Buddy Club II
Old 07-11-2005, 04:23 PM   #10
ZQ8Rado

Member #249

Send a message via AIM to ZQ8Rado
you can take it to my dads shop pm me if you want details