TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
civicb18Tkid
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5644

My Ride:
1993.5 Supra

My R32 Skyline GTR find and build thread

So this is going to be a sort of "story" on how I acquired my dream car, along with a progression and build thread into hopefully a mind, beautiful, beast of a BNR32.

Some of you may not know me, but my name is Kane. My passion for cars started way before I got my first car, but I always had 2 dream cars, the R32 GTR and a MK4 supra. I swore to myself that some day I would own one of these cars, all I had to do was figure out a plan of action...

At a young age I was able to use the barter system pretty well. I was always trading baseball cards, Pokemon cards, bicycles, etc. Starting with cheap stuff, and gradually working my way to a better end product was pretty much natural and second nature. So at the age of 15 I realized what I was going to do to get my skyline, I was going to trade my way to the top!

So I was 15, I had $1,800 bucks (from selling my card collections and bicycles) and I needed to find my starting block. That's when I ran into my first car, a 1993 Subaru Impreza 1.8L FWD. I drove that for a little bit, than I traded it for a Corrado that didn't run well. I fixed that up and traded the corrado for a mk3 Jetta GLX. Then that Jetta for a boosted and swapped 1995 civic. I played with this Honda for awhile, traded shells for a 1995 si hatch, then traded that entire car for a late 70's nova with a built 383 stroker. My father and I did some tweaking to that, then I traded that for a 2002 RSX-S. This Acura was probably the longest I ever had a car, but it was traded for a 300zx twin turbo putting down around 500hp. This is where I really fell in love with Nissan. But obviously, I traded it lol. I swapped it for an 05 low mileage SRT-4 with a blown turbo. I fixed that up and traded it for a beautiful limited edition 1000rr with a minty EG hatchback. After playing with them for the summer I decided to trade both for a mk5 GLI, then that to a MK4 GTI with a semi built VRT. I stanced that out, bagged it, then swapped that for a kouki with a built 408 stroker LS2. This thing had a lot of issues with it, but with a little time and love I got that beast running fantastic. I kept that car for god knows how long, but one day I found this skyline of my dreams. We were able to settle on a deal, and I traded that for my GTR. A black, low mileage, R32 GTR.

With every one of these trades I got a vehicle that had some sort of un-diagnosed issue, but I knew I could repair it for free or next to nothing, and eventually trade it for something of more value. There was a lot of ups and a lot of downs, but with persistence and my eyes on the goal, I was able to push through.

Did this take awhile? YES! It took me 9 years of swapping to get my dream car.But well worth it.

How much did I spend on my GTR? My initial $1,800 I invested in my Subaru. I did buy various other cars through this 9 years, but only to sell quickly and invest in other cars (example: bought a mk2 jetta coupe with a ton of mods for $1,000, fixed a headgaskted, sold it for $5,000 lol).

Enough of my babble, now on to the pics....

Here is my first pic of her. Picked it up while moving from Charlotte to Williamsport

Then I cleaned her up and took a few pics.

And a little roller from one of my first cruises

Is this everyone's dream car? Absolutely not, but it is mine. I'm just posting this to show everyone that with a little starter cash, a lot of hard work, and even more dedication, anyone can get their dream car! I appreciate you taking the time to read this, and hopefully it will inspire someone to do the same! Please keep an eye on the updates as this will be a complete tear down monster of a build ;)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by civicb18Tkid; 06-26-2013 at 04:20 PM.
civicb18Tkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
The r32 is my favorite body style. Cool story too

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
civicb18Tkid
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5644

My Ride:
1993.5 Supra

Same here brother! I loveeeeeeeee the BNR32's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

Really cool story and it sounds like you put a lot of work to get your dream car. Im very impressed that mommy and daddy didnt buy it but you put in nine years of flipping to finally get it. Once you cleaned it up that thing looks perfect. I have always loved GTR's and this one is no exception. Id definitely like to see more pictures.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
civicb18Tkid
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5644

My Ride:
1993.5 Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
Really cool story and it sounds like you put a lot of work to get your dream car. Im very impressed that mommy and daddy didnt buy it but you put in nine years of flipping to finally get it. Once you cleaned it up that thing looks perfect. I have always loved GTR's and this one is no exception. Id definitely like to see more pictures.
Thanks man. Yea not sponsored by the parents, just a hard worker haha. Everyone will be seeing a lot more of this. Got some photo guys hounding to shoot it once I get everything finished up!

Old 06-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
nismo300zxjdm
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #23006

My Ride:
'90 Nissan 300zx NA, '90 300zx Twin Turbo, '08 Sentra Spec V

Awesome, chase those dreams! One day they become reality, Great story! I love R32's!

My Build Thread!

nismo300zxjdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
civicb18Tkid
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5644

My Ride:
1993.5 Supra

Absolutely! Thanks you!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
Munky
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3838

My Ride:
2013 Ram Blackout Express Quad Cab, 96 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 98 Nissan 240ss Never going to run

So you're back in PA again?!?! I fully demand a ride & photoshoot when the Kouki is back on the road!!!

Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
civicb18Tkid
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5644

My Ride:
1993.5 Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
So you're back in PA again?!?! I fully demand a ride & photoshoot when the Kouki is back on the road!!!
Yea buddy! Back in the woods! The big city life wasnt for me haha. But YESSSSSS get that thing done and we will do some cruises.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Congrats on the pickup;did you happen to pick up the srt4 from someone in south jersey a couple years back? red?
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
civicb18Tkid
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5644

My Ride:
1993.5 Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
Congrats on the pickup;did you happen to pick up the srt4 from someone in south jersey a couple years back? red?
Yup it was red. Not positive if it was in Jersey, but I do remember going through Phili, so yea it probably was!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
cheeseyfella
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #22615

My Ride:
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX ltd ed

Nice car!! I had a R33 GTR in the UK and loved it, but always had a thing for the R32, they were more "RAW" then R33 and R34s

Enjoy it!!!

DYC Authorized ReSeller
cheeseyfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
civicb18Tkid
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5644

My Ride:
1993.5 Supra

My thoughts exactly! You can really feel the car in a 32 ;)

Old 06-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicb18Tkid View Post
Yup it was red. Not positive if it was in Jersey, but I do remember going through Phili, so yea it probably was!
Was probably my buddy angelo's; way to trade up though car looks great
Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
civicb18Tkid
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5644

My Ride:
1993.5 Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
Was probably my buddy angelo's; way to trade up though car looks great
Yea I'm not sure. He was younger and lived with his grandfather I believe.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
civicb18Tkid
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5644

My Ride:
1993.5 Supra

After hunting through the car I was able to find a couple of cracks in the turbo manifolds. I called APEXi USA and they were no help... Found out this kit was not sold in USA and is the only kit in North America. So after some hunting I was able to get a full gasket set for the turbo kit. Also discovered a few vacuum leaks and the clutch booster was split (more overnight parts from Japan).

So goals for the next couple weeks...

1. Repair cracks in manifolds and weld braces. Also replace all gaskets involving turbo setup and new t-bolt clamps.
2. Replace clutch booster, flush system, DOT4 fluid.
3. Tune!!! Hoping for IveyTune seeing how the car has HKS Fcon and he is the only local that can do it.

Follow for more pics and updates!!!

Old 06-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicb18Tkid View Post
Yea I'm not sure. He was younger and lived with his grandfather I believe.
That'd be him