TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #661
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Man, there is just something about red E30s with those wheels and that spoiler that does something for me...
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #662
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Man, there is just something about red E30s with those wheels and that spoiler that does something for me...
Same!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:26 PM   #663
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Same!
Thanks! I took it to my buddies wedding for a solid cruise and had a crowd of folks asking questions about the car during the reception. Funny how an old BMW brings the car enthusiasts out of the wood work.

I also have the same wheels for the M3 so the cars will match once I get around to it.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #664
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

I sold the E34T already to a gentleman in the service. He's picking it up once he returns from his deployment in July. He's got almost the same stable as I do- he plans to N73 (V12) swap it.

As a little bonus I put tires on the MParallels for him and mounted them up. Most do a 235/40 which I think looks too small, so I went with a 245/40.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Old 06-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #665
empera
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3674

My Ride:
67.5 Roadster, 00 Outback, 93.5 Supra tt, 88 Shiro, Tundra, turbo sc300

Send a message via AIM to empera
i REALLY like that wagon! Wish i had the money.
empera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #666
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
That's awesome man! And that's a bold plan to N73 swap it haha.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:23 PM   #667
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by empera View Post
i REALLY like that wagon! Wish i had the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
That's awesome man! And that's a bold plan to N73 swap it haha.
Oh yeah, I'm going to be pissed someday when I go try to find another manual V8 wagon without rust! Surprisingly, E34s aren't expensive- they are just hard to find in nice shape. I sold the wagon for $2500. There are also quite a few cheap 525i E34 Touring wagons that roll through Copart, junkyards, etc, but obviously need a lot of work.

Still no M3 updates unfortunately, but I should have another fun update here soon.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #668
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

that wagon is beautiful.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #669
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
that wagon is beautiful.
I know it- the E34s make great cruisers. They were, after all, $60K in 1994 .

I wanted so badly to trade one unreliable daily driver for another, but I think I have a much better chance at staying on the road with the Subaru

Speaking of problems, the same gent who sold me the E36m3 swapped E30 Sedan from a few pages back is selling me his personal E30 with a 3L stroker motor he just had built with a cylinder head done by a legend E30 guy from upside down land and a ton of other goodies.

Needless to say, Linda will be getting that engine along with a few other parts to help her take her "final form".
Old 06-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #670
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

$60k

Well... that's an exciting development!
Old 06-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #671
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
$60k

Well... that's an exciting development!
I found a fellow who bought his new and his well optioned 530iT (aka this car) was $66K. One of the main reasons why I will never buy a newer BMW. They are expensive new and depreciate so hard.

And yes, the stroker development will be great! At the very least I'm buying his car. I need a roof on my house now and can't do it myself (not enough PTO) so that will determine exactly what will end up on Linda and what will get sold.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #672
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Bought a cheap Group-N trans mount some guy bought and didn't use for the Forester......WOW what a difference. Motor mounts are next after feeling the difference just the trans mount made.

Also, the road and wind noise saga has brought me to a point of delirium and frustration. The cabin noise is so bad. I estimate 70-80db at highway speeds. It's to the point where my sound system loses all clarity at highway speeds trying to keep up with the noise.

It turns out Forester window gussets are the issue on frameless Subaru windows. Subaru also doesn't use any sound deadening on the doors, which I will be addressing.

I just used a c clamp and compressed the gusset between two pieces of wood, effectively hugging the window quite a bit more. The noise went down SIGNIFICANTLY. My drivers side gusset is torn (never noticed) so I will be replacing the gussets when I do the RAAMmat on the doors. For now, this small fix was night and day.

I don't need this thing to be Bimmer 7 Series quiet but anything is better than how it has been.

Last edited by blue91lx; 06-29-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:46 PM   #673
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

I had the same wind noise issue on my forester. I broke down and bought new replacements for ~ $200. Wish i would have tried pressing them first...
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:56 AM   #674
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

I almost didn't buy our forester because of the wind noise. It's crazy how every car has it.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:28 PM   #675
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
I almost didn't buy our forester because of the wind noise. It's crazy how every car has it.
Not limited to just foresters if I recall. Pretty sure its all 02-07 "impreza" based chassis. Crazy that there was never a recall.
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #676
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
I had the same wind noise issue on my forester. I broke down and bought new replacements for ~ $200. Wish i would have tried pressing them first...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
Not limited to just foresters if I recall. Pretty sure its all 02-07 "impreza" based chassis. Crazy that there was never a recall.
Yep, Impreza, Outback, Forester and probably others. I believe they added window frames in '08.

The c clamp was an effort to get me by for an upcoming trip- I'm still going to replace them since they reduced the price of the pair to ~$140 shipped for OE units. I've had to rock my podcasts at full volume for too long now- I hope this helps me drop it down a few notches

I can't believe it was such an oversight. I've had loud cars my whole life. The E30 iS doesn't have any sound deadening...I'm not very picky. So for me to bitch about the noise, it has to be bad.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:13 PM   #677
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Visited PA this weekend. She’s still sitting- dusty and awaiting her new life.

Last edited by blue91lx; 07-05-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #678
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Great looking cars in this thread. I have enjoyed reading about them!!
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:19 AM   #679
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolNat View Post
Great looking cars in this thread. I have enjoyed reading about them!!
Thanks, man!

Some pretty fun developments regarding Linda and another new vehicle took place this evening.

I brought home my good buddy Vic's 3L Stroker '87 325i that was built by Zionsville Autosport here in Indy. He is moving on from E30s, and wanted to see the car's legacy be fulfilled, to some capacity. With the car came a 731 head fully worked by the voodoo M20 man himself, Rama.

The 3L will be coming out of black betty, getting the 731 cylinder head with a phat cam and then going in Linda. Linda's fresh M20 powerplant will be going in black betty.

My first focus is to get black betty up and going and sold to fund the rest of the fun.

It'll be hard work, but ultimately this will bring the iS to exactly where I've always wanted it to be.

The stroker is Dwights configuration of an M54b30 rotating assembly with shaved pistons, using a special detonation resistant coating. The car runs extremely strong right now, I was shocked. This configuration unfortunately means that the pistons have no valve reliefs. Thus, the hardest part of this whole thing will be figuring out what to do to make room for the larger valve clearances required for running a bigger cam. I have a spare 200 head I can use to chuck a drill onto a valve with sandpaper through the 200 head to get the correct angle and cut reliefs after measuring, but that doesn't sound too appealing, so I am leaning towards just getting some 85mm flat top pistons with reliefs, opening up the bore to 85mm and going that route instead.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #680
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I love these frankenstein engine projects Take lots of pics please!