TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic > General Entertainment
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 07-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Send a message via AIM to TGilb2007 Send a message via MSN to TGilb2007 Send a message via Yahoo to TGilb2007
The offical MMA Thread of TST (again.....)

So who is going to be watching this? Looks likes just an AMAZING fight card (on paper at least), 2 titles on the line, and the coaches for TUF are competing as well.

* Champ Brock Lesnar vs. interim champ Frank Mir (heavyweight title unification) - I see Brock Lesnar taking this one in a 3rd round TKO. I think now that Brock is learning some self control in the octagon, and its obvious that he has the physical tools to beat out Mir this time.
* Champ Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves (for welterweight title) - GSP's toughest opponet in a while. I see either a late 3rd-early 4th round TKO for rush. If not, its going to the cards
* Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago
* Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson - Hendo, hands down. He is going to start strong working over Bisping all over the ground, and also all over the standing game as well. Bisping wants to stick and move, but I don't think that Hendo would really fall for it.
* Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Stephan Bonnar vs. Mark Coleman - Plain and simple, this should be a war. Doesn't matter who wins, the fans should eat this up
* Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller
* Jon Jones vs. Jake O'Brien - Jon Jones is well on his way to the top of the division, and a solid win here would certianly help prove his worth.
* C.B. Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor - I think this fight should of been on UFC99 in the main card, or a headliner for a Fight Night Live at some point. I see "The Doberman" taking this one, and I hope by the Peruvan Necktie.
* Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty
* T.J. Grant vs. Dong Hyun Kim

Your thoughts, opinions about this? And please, none of the "UFC is gay/whack/lame" crap. If you don't like it, don't post.

Last edited by TGilb2007; 07-24-2009 at 12:46 PM.
TGilb2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Willdue
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2000

My Ride:
To many VW's

Send a message via AIM to Willdue
You know I cant wait
Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Send a message via AIM to TGilb2007 Send a message via MSN to TGilb2007 Send a message via Yahoo to TGilb2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willdue View Post
You know I cant wait
Yup. You and me both dude.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Wow.... no love for UFC anymore? Where is Massone, and the other dudes who followed and trained in this?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
Willdue
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2000

My Ride:
To many VW's

They got chased away by the 17 y/os lol
Old 07-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
4DR_DB7
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #13599

My Ride:
97 Acura Teg

I'm excited for a bunch of good fights happening, I refuse to pay $50+ to see them though.. I usually try to find the clips online a day or two later. My Predicts of note:
1.Mir submits Lesnar.... again
2.Bisping KO's Hendo.... dan is old and past his prime...and sadly, probably brain damaged too.
3. I see Bonnar pulling out a rare win against the old man Coleman...perhaps by leg-lock submission?
4. Thiago over Fitch.

thats it.
4DR_DB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
Willdue
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2000

My Ride:
To many VW's

What about the Pitbull vs GSP
Old 07-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DR_DB7 View Post
I'm excited for a bunch of good fights happening, I refuse to pay $50+ to see them though.. I usually try to find the clips online a day or two later. My Predicts of note:
1.Mir submits Lesnar.... again
2.Bisping KO's Hendo.... dan is old and past his prime...and sadly, probably brain damaged too.
3. I see Bonnar pulling out a rare win against the old man Coleman...perhaps by leg-lock submission?
4. Thiago over Fitch.

thats it.
I don't see Bisping being able to KO Hendo. Anderson Silva couldn't do it, Wandi couldn't, Rich Franklin couldn't, and they ALL have KO power. That, and though Dan is older, he still has a chin of granite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willdue View Post
What about the Pitbull vs GSP
Probably the toughest fight to pick.One on hand, you really don't want to best against GSP. He is just an animal now, great TDs, and some great GnP. That, and it just seems like its impossible for GSP to get tired during a fight

Then again, Alves is just a monster. Great hands, great power. If he can keep the fight standing, I see him taking this. Otherwise, its too tough to call

I see this one being FOTN honestly.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
fballman1987
Tri-State Addict

Member #2928

My Ride:
2007 WRX STi

Send a message via AIM to fballman1987
Lesnar will knock out Mir
The GSP fight will go to the cards, both fighters are tough, this will probably be the fight of the night. i kind of feel like it may even be GSP's turn to lose.....
Old 07-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
massone
Tri-State Addict

Member #2256

My Ride:
93 300zxtt, 07 Legacy gt

I'm still here just rarely ever check this sub forum anymore

but yeah can't wait for this, hoping mir taps lesnar, gsp vs alves should be an interesting fight and I'm hoping to the see jon bones jones fight (his judo throws were sick in the bonnar fight)

and when the **** is dustin hazelett fighting again??

edit: nvm he's out with a torn acl for the rest of the year
massone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
Willdue
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2000

My Ride:
To many VW's

Idk, GSP is in for a world of a suprise and he knows it. Alves is know to go all the way up to 200lbs from weigh in to fight night
Old 07-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #12
poisonivory
Tri-State Addict

Member #5979

My Ride:
2010 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to poisonivory
i'm still here...lol i thought u guys gave up on me and my MMA threads.

I will be at UFC 101 in Philly on August 8th. If any of you are going, let's meet up and tailgate!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
poisonivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #13
massone
Tri-State Addict

Member #2256

My Ride:
93 300zxtt, 07 Legacy gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonivory View Post
i'm still here...lol i thought u guys gave up on me and my MMA threads.

I will be at UFC 101 in Philly on August 8th. If any of you are going, let's meet up and tailgate!!
I missed out on em I'm going to have to listen to the radio and see if there's any call in contests to win tickets or something
massone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
4DR_DB7
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #13599

My Ride:
97 Acura Teg

I Like GSP over Alves, only because he's GSP. The match could go either way, GSP is a more complete, well-rounded and experienced fighter, but Alves is tough as balls and has nice muay thai and jiu jitsu. If GSP loses, I think it will be by armbar submission. If it goes to the judges, GSP wins.

Bisping is bigger and stronger, and frankly a better striker than both Silva's and Franklin. Bisping is on the upswing, while Hendo is clearly winding down. If anything, it goes the full 3 rounds and Bisping wins a decision. Hendo can't do anything but grapple anymore. I would love to be proven wrong, believe me, i've always liked Hendo.

Mir will not get KO'd by lesnar. No way. If anything, he will tap after he gets ground n pounded big time. He's a bit of a pretty boy, he won't want his face to get smashed in while lesnar is sitting on top of his chest in mount pounding away w/ hammer fists.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #15
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Quote:
I Like GSP over Alves, only because he's GSP. The match could go either way, GSP is a more complete, well-rounded and experienced fighter, but Alves is tough as balls and has nice muay thai and jiu jitsu. If GSP loses, I think it will be by armbar submission. If it goes to the judges, GSP wins.

Bisping is bigger and stronger, and frankly a better striker than both Silva's and Franklin. Bisping is on the upswing, while Hendo is clearly winding down. If anything, it goes the full 3 rounds and Bisping wins a decision. Hendo can't do anything but grapple anymore. I would love to be proven wrong, believe me, i've always liked Hendo.

Mir will not get KO'd by lesnar. No way. If anything, he will tap after he gets ground n pounded big time. He's a bit of a pretty boy, he won't want his face to get smashed in while lesnar is sitting on top of his chest in mount pounding away w/ hammer fists.
I think that Alves has a GREAT chance for the win here, but I don't know if its by armbar. Probably more of a TKO situation late. He might be able to catch GSP, and start working from there.

As for Bisping, he does NOT have better striking then Anderson, espically when it comes to accuracy. That, and Anderson has more then a few hands to throw around. He starts to go nuts ALL over with kicks, knees, elbows and strikes.

As for Mir, I think this ends 1 of 2 ways. Either Mir is walking away with a limb, or Brock will have more blood on his hands then Mir has left in his face. If Mir is able to lock something in though, he is going to have to REALLY get it in deep, or else Brock might be able to power out.

I made a long writeup before about the fight, Ill have to hunt it down.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #16
4DR_DB7
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #13599

My Ride:
97 Acura Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGilb2007 View Post

I made a long writeup before about the fight, Ill have to hunt it down.
not necessary.

ps. Bisping is a trained kick-boxer... Hendo is a wrestler. One's standup/striking is much better, one is much better on the ground... I think you can figure out which one is which.

pps. Hendo has been KO'd by: Renzo Gracie, Murilo Bustamente, Ahkiri Ghono, Wandy Silva... only one of those (wandy) could even be considered a decent striker. Chin of stone??? ROFL. I think not.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #17
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
I haven't watched any of the UFC in a while but this def looks like an awesome card. Maybe a bar around here will
have it.

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #18
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Quote:
not necessary.

ps. Bisping is a trained kick-boxer... Hendo is a wrestler. One's standup/striking is much better, one is much better on the ground... I think you can figure out which one is which.

pps. Hendo has been KO'd by: Renzo Gracie, Murilo Bustamente, Ahkiri Ghono, Wandy Silva... only one of those (wandy) could even be considered a decent striker. Chin of stone??? ROFL. I think not.
IIRC, Wandi didn't KO Hendo.

And I know who does what between Bisping and Hendo, lol.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #19
SheaButter
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #11890

My Ride:
2008 scuby wrx

I think Alves is full of hype right now and after destroying huges i think his head maybe a little to big right now. GSP will take this one, I dont think there is a better pound for pound fighter out there other then him.

Lesnar is going to dominate Mir. Hell in their last fight mir was getting his rear handed to him and he won by an akle lock barely though.
Bisping is way over rated in my eyes, he really hasnt fought anyone that great. so I am taking henderson in this one. HEnderson really inpressed me against Rampage jackson, i seen the re-run the other night, his chin is just like chris leban.

I would like to see mac danzig get a win, hasnt done much since he won the TUF.
SheaButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #20
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Quote:

Well, looks like you were wrong about the Hendo fight.

HOLY **** was that a punch.