TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
JSC Speed
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #81
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, v8 Touareg

PCA Rocks

A few weeks ago I went to a PCA autocross at pocono. For those that are into autocross, I would highly recommend going if they do it again. It was the first "autocross" I ever thought I was going to top out third gear. My friend was doing 89mph accoring to his GPS. And we got like 12 runs.

That being said, the miata doesn't make enough power for courses like this and I got beat by a few cars that I would expect to beat. I was full throttle from the first turn all the way to the other end of the back stretch. My fastest a 53.3 and I think the fastest was a 51.2.

I actually remembered my Gopro so here are some videos.

Ends with a Spin
https://youtu.be/IU2lcg5AUC0

Fastest
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=aetnwJsJraQ

I also started to fiddle around with the NB engine (meaning I put it on the stand), and the megasquirt (I downloaded tuner studio)

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #82
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '17 GT350

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Kinda bummed I missed the PCA event. I know people were hitting 95 there... I "only" hit 90 at the NEPA event this weekend.

What Megasquirt are you going to run?
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #83
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Kinda bummed I missed the PCA event. I know people were hitting 95 there... I "only" hit 90 at the NEPA event this weekend.

What Megasquirt are you going to run?
It's an MSlabs MS3. Plug and play and should have all the capabilities I need. Along with accommodating turbos if I ever get the itch. I have a lot of learning to do with it though, hopefully I get it down pat over the winter.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #84
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '17 GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
It's an MSlabs MS3. Plug and play and should have all the capabilities I need. Along with accommodating turbos if I ever get the itch. I have a lot of learning to do with it though, hopefully I get it down pat over the winter.
I don't have any experience with the MS3, but feel free to ping me if you have any questions about how you can dial in certain things.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #85
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
I don't have any experience with the MS3, but feel free to ping me if you have any questions about how you can dial in certain things.
Cool thanks. I did some tuning with my evo on evoscan/ecuflash, Im assuming this will be similar. I just need to figure out idle stuff and target A/F ratios for a NA car.

Once I go ITB i have to go alpha tuning. Tuning off the throttle position. Im sure that will take a while.

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 09-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #86
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '17 GT350

Megasquirt has an ITB mode that blends alpha-n & speed density. I've played with it only to learn it when I got around to doing ITBs, it seems pretty easy to tune. The default mode blending and whatnot seemed to work half-decently. Definitely time consuming though...
Old 09-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #87
blue91lx
Tri-State Addict

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Cool thanks. I did some tuning with my evo on evoscan/ecuflash, Im assuming this will be similar. I just need to figure out idle stuff and target A/F ratios for a NA car.

Once I go ITB i have to go alpha tuning. Tuning off the throttle position. Im sure that will take a while.
Quote:
Megasquirt has an ITB mode that blends alpha-n & speed density. I've played with it only to learn it when I got around to doing ITBs, it seems pretty easy to tune. The default mode blending and whatnot seemed to work half-decently. Definitely time consuming though...
Progress looking good! I envy the seat time that both of you get- I'm sure you guys have a blast.

E30s face the same same ITB tuning problems- I didn't want to go with MS with the M20 to run ITBs which is why I went 24V (you can run airbox and tune w/MAF).
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #88
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
That's how I understand it and it does seem pretty straight forward. Its definitely going to be an uphill battle VVT + ITB + engine swap = lots of time. Maybe its good Pennsylvania winters are long .

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
Progress looking good! I envy the seat time that both of you get- I'm sure you guys have a blast.

E30s face the same same ITB tuning problems- I didn't want to go with MS with the M20 to run ITBs which is why I went 24V (you can run airbox and tune w/MAF).
I know I said it before but a miata with big slicks has to be the most fun you can have without breaking the bank.

I know ITBs are a pain, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up using a manifold for a while.

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #89
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

I pulled the intake manifold of the VVT engine this weekend. I'm a little nervous about all the blackness in there. I realize It most likely means a PCV issue. I'm nervous there is a bad valve seal or something. I will probably pull the head and get it checked out. Maybe a valve job is in the future. I was debating just throwing the motor in the car and seeing what I got. I still might do that but seems more risk now.

MY EVO (Sold)-