View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
15psi88
Tri-State Addict

Member #5625

My Ride:
Is always a project.

Thanks Dutch!
When I bought the car, I knew I wanted some fat rubber. I had to have 18's, which is the smallest you can fit without going to a smaller rear brake setup. I had kept my eyes open, occasionally looking for wheels to pop up. Found a guy in Texas selling a set of grungy gen2 CCW race classics and struck a deal with him. They came with washed up Hoosiers, that I had to try on of course.
Paired up with a 345 30 18 M/T drag radial 245 45 17 Nitto for comparison
Gen 2 fitment is way different than the Gen3. I have the rear wheels on the front and vice versa, relipped, barrels swapped.. Frankenstein'd, but I got it done and it only required the use of an 1/8" spacer at all 4 corners. The image above is before I broke the wheels down and swapped parts around. It did require a 3/8" spacer to clear the caliper in this configuration, so it pokes a lot.
After breaking them down I ordered new hardware and started refinishing. The wheels were shotpeened originally so I had to sand them smooth. I had planned on adding smoke clear to the faces until I sampled it an realized it just looks like everything was covered in brake dust.
39 40
Chaos lol

I looked everywhere for metric hardware with blue nylon for the attaching hardware. I found some in Europe on Ebay and had it shipped over. When it came the nylon wasn't as blue as I had wanted and I had a vision in my head I just couldn't let go.
So I hand painted each individual nut. Don't worry there's flex additive in the paint.
I got to the part where I really had to start sizing everything to get it to fit. This is a picture of the front wheel after getting the face spaced to clear the caliper. So new lips were in order.
Fast forward like 3 months.
Promptly whacked the new polished lips with some scotch bright. I ordered the lips raw.. but well after dealing with CCW a while, I'm just happy I got them.

I sanded on the faces until my fingers bled, literally.
But then, the payoff..
My buddies got to me and I had to ditch the blue valve stem lol..
IMAG0638
18's don't clear the ebrake cable assembly so some modification was necessary. "They" sell kit in the Viper market..over 90 bucks for these little blocks with some holes drilled/tapped.
I spent an afternoon with an angle grinder and a file and made some. Topped it off with some titanium hardware. Cost about 8 bucks..
IMAG0641
Now, they fit
The front wheels ended up being 11.5" after I was done swapping and relipping. I put a 295 on it but really hate that it's a little stretched. I might put a 305 on it, or rebarrel it to a 10". Either way, I'm gonna have to rock it this way for the season.
15psi88 is offline   Reply With Quote