View Single Post
Old 12-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #759
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Man, the wing is rad.

Nice find, even if it is a bit rusty. Doesn't look too bad! The strut gland nuts sounds like a real PITA...

What all is different about the chassis with iX that causes rust? Or is it just that they were more likely to see salted roads?
It’s full 1980s currently with that wing. I have a plan for it, though!

Nah it’s not bad- it cleaned up much better than I thought it would! If I posted some pictures of the rust you guys would cringe. But all of the nice ones I’ve had I didn’t have the heart to destroy them with salt. The interior is minty fresh which is nice, and the mechanicals are very strong!

Yep, you hit the nail on the head- these cars were bought and used as winter machines!

The iX chassis is actually different up front in the strut tower area from it’s RWD buddy, but is otherwise mostly the same. It has vertical towers vs the slanted ones of RWD cars, making the iX a bit lazier due to some slight geometry differences, which is why folks don’t love these cars if not used for winter duty. They made the change to accommodate the front drivetrain (obviously). The trans tunnel is also slightly different to fit the transfer case, which slightly changes some things like seat mechanism handles, carpet, etc.

The front subframe, steering rack, strut housings/mounts, control arms, etc are all different. The rear stuff is all pretty much the same aside from different bushings in the rear subframe and some other small stuff. The iX got a viscous rear diff vs the open or clutch pack LSD of the RWD cars.

The iX also got stiffer front spring rates than the RWD cars (especially so compared to the 4cyl cars). And last but not least, you can’t retrofit any other steering racks into the iX due to its design, so you’re stuck with the hideous four turn L2L. Not enough of these cars were made for anyone to justify an aftermarket solution just yet, and to boot, most iX racks develop some terrible play early on in their life. My guess is due to the extra weight/stress from the front drivetrain.

Anyway, enough of the history lesson haha. I’m just excited to drive it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Love following this journal!
Thank you! I try to keep it interesting. It sure is going to be fun to look back on this in later on.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote